What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 12:51 am
Why have animation and comics become niche markets in the 21st century? What happened?

Are video games considered to be a niche market now in 21st century? Were video games more popular back in the late 20th century than they are now, or is it the other way around?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:10 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
If your husband wasn't Saved he's not in Heaven. It's simple as that.

You are not sensitive to other's feelings, are you? Telling someone that their loved one, a person they have known and loved for years, is not in heaven is a terrible thing to say.

And if chai2 is blocked, then why do you acknowledge her responses? Why not just ignore her?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Why do you care if cartoons are shown on the broadcast channels? Audience interest has moved on to cable and streaming.

It is unusual to claim that cartoon producers had more freedom in the 80s and 90s, when toy sales drove the direction of the more popular cartoons.

Anime in that time faced some odd censorship: people didn't die, they disappeared. The men weren't crying, they were sweating. The lesbian couple became affectionate cousins. And so on.

Even today, cartoons are not a niche market, given that many shows are viewed by millions. On cable, they have more freedom on what to show.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:38 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

And if chai2 is blocked, then why do you acknowledge her responses? Why not just ignore her?

Exactly.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:40 am
@JGoldman10,
I think your definition of niche is a bit warped if you think comics and animation is a niche market today.

While comic sales are down since the 90s, there are far more third party publishers and creator owned comics. Plus, the TV and film industry have been adapting more comics in the last 15 years. Even lesser known comics like the Umbrella Academy, Kingsman, and The Boys have received popular adaptations.

Video games are a multibillion dollar industry. The game Grand Theft Auto V made $1 billion in its first 3 days, for example. Game publishers would not spend millions in game development if games were not popular.

They are all popular today. The problem is that since you purposely ignored pop culture of the last 20 years, your perspective is distorted and out of date.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
I was referring to censorship. It wasn't until the late '90s the FCC started acting like they were the "morality police".

I am well aware cartoon makers have more freedom to produce cartoons the way they want to on cable/satellite TV. The FCC doesn't bother with cable/satellite TV cartoons.

I think I've said this somewhere in another thread. I know I've said it on Yahoo! Answers in a few questions.

Why do I care if regular kids' cartoons are shown on broadcast TV or not? I came up thinking I could produce regular kids' cartoons for broadcast TV. I didn't think the landscape of animation was going to change so drastically.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 04:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not going to lie and what I said was the Truth. I hope her husband was Saved. Man was not meant to go to Hell; they go there for rejecting God.

That's Biblical. In hindsight I could have worded what I said a little differently.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:01 am
@Rebelofnj,
How popular are mobile, PC/laptop and online games now?

It seems like when I go online or play a game that's on my smartphone I'm constantly bombarded with ads for gaming apps I can download to my phone.

In case you need clarification, by PC/laptop games I mean games you can buy on CD-ROMs and play on your PC or laptop.

Do they still make game cartridges for PCs? Do they make any for laptops?

Are there any other formats for video games for PCs and/or laptops that are made and used I should know about?

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:12 am
@JGoldman10,
...yes. Are you really that out of touch?

For example, Minecraft (officially released in 2011) has sold over 180 million copies, and it is available on PC, mobile, and game consoles. The mobile version has made $110 million in 2018.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:15 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

How popular are mobile, PC/laptop and online games now?

It seems like when I go online or play a game that's on my smartphone I'm constantly bombarded with ads for gaming apps I can download to my phone.

In case you need clarification, by PC/laptop games I mean games you can buy on CD-ROMs and play on your PC or laptop.

Are there any other formats for video games for PCs and/or laptops that are made and used I should know about?

@Rebel - Hi. I was editing my post. This is in case you missed it.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:24 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

They stopped making cartridges for PC decades ago, when CD-ROM replaced them.
Even now, CD-ROM use has been in rapid decline, as people prefer to download games now. Personally, the last time I bought a physical game was in 2014. However, I have downloaded dozens of new games since then, including 2 days ago.

Game consoles use Blu-Ray instead of CD due to more memory capacity, but slowly they are favoring digital downloads. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony each have a collection of digital only games. Microsoft even has a subscription service Game Pass where players can download multiple new games for a monthly fee.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:30 am
@JGoldman10,
@Rebel:

JGoldman10 wrote:

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:34 am
@JGoldman10,
To repeat: Game consoles use Blu-Ray instead of CD due to more memory capacity, but slowly they are favoring digital downloads. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony each have a collection of digital only games. Microsoft even has a subscription service Game Pass where players can download multiple new games for a monthly fee.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2020 05:45 am
@Rebelofnj,
Thank you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 09:56 pm
Do they still make rap/hip-hop music in which beatboxing and/or scratching records is involved?

This was much more commonplace in '80s and '90s rap/hip hop music.

Verbalase is a current pro beatboxer who makes music involving beatboxing but I'm not counting his work. Most of what he does is for show, especially in his online cartoon series Cartoon Beatbox Battles.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 10:56 am
@JGoldman10,
According to Wikipedia, beatboxing is still in use and has expanded to other genres, but it is more prominent as it was in the 80s and 90s. It is mainly used by indie artists.

Scratching records are still used by DJs and hip hop artists, though the DJ setup is now more computerized than in the 90s.

Interestingly enough, the 2010 video game DJ Hero and its sequel uses a turntable game controller to simulate scratching and allows beatboxing with a USB microphone. The game itself uses modern songs and remixes.

Here is how the controller works:
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 05:10 pm
@Rebelofnj,
When I was in middle school or high school I had a social studies teacher who said that rap/hip hop music was going to die out and when my gen grew up and had kids our own our kids were going to criticize and/or make fun of the music we listened to which included rap/hip-hop. This statement was made some time between the late '80s and early '90s.

Of course I'm paraphrasing what he said and apparently he was wrong.

However it's been said that rap/hip-hop could still die out if rappers don't change their ways. Current rap/hip-hop music has essentially become a modern-day minstrel show:

This PSA was made in the 2000's but the message still applies to now.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 05:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
However it's been said that rap/hip-hop could still die out if rappers don't change their ways.

That video is from the 2007 TV series Short Circuitz. Clearly, hip hop is not dead yet. It also hasn't devolved into being a puppet controlled by corporations, as the skit suggested.

It is pretty difficult to kill a genre permanently. Even Disco is still influential in some modern songs.

If I may offer a rebuttal, here is 2018's "All The Stars" by Kendrick Lamar and SZA. It was recorded for the Black Panther soundtrack and the music video is inspired by the film's afrofuturistic style.

Speaking of hip hop, here is a recent favorite of mine, 2017's "The Deep" by clipping. It tells a story about mermaids, descended from African slave women, causing a storm due to remembering the trauma of their ancestors.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 02:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know about that first video you posted a link to but the second one sounds offensive.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 02:26 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know too much about current rap/hip-hop music or current pop music in general but I kind of like this song:

0 Replies