What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2019 03:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I still watch that and NYPD Blue.

FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 01:15 am
I don't know if I said this already, but I miss the days when people didn't have to be overly concerned about things like political correctness. I think political correctness has ruined a lot of things to an extent.

People in the the '80s and '90s had a lot more freedom. People were not overly concerned about offending other's "delicate little sensibilities".

When did political correctness become such a big thing? For that matter, when did ID politics become such a big thing?

Seems like political correctness and ID politics are recent phenomenons.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:08 pm
The more personal nature of things. It was before the internet went popular. Before texting and instagram and twittler became the only way people knew how to communicate. People would send letters or call on a landline phone and actually speak with each other.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:44 pm
@Sturgis,
People still snail mail and some people still use landline phones.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 07:16 pm
@Sturgis,
What happened to things like common courtesy? There seems like there's an increase in rudeness these days, and that there's more rude people than polite.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 08:39 am
@JGoldman10,
You write this...
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't know if I said this already, but I miss the days when people didn't have to be overly concerned about things like political correctness. I think political correctness has ruined a lot of things to an extent.

People in the the '80s and '90s had a lot more freedom. People were not overly concerned about offending other's "delicate little sensibilities".

When did political correctness become such a big thing? For that matter, when did ID politics become such a big thing?

Seems like political correctness and ID politics are recent phenomenons.

then you spit this out...
JGoldman10 wrote:

What happened to things like common courtesy? There seems like there's an increase in rudeness these days, and that there's more rude people than polite.

Laughing Rolling Eyes Talk about ideological whiplash! The 90s were the cultural embodiment of rudeness ... to the EXTREME! (TM expired)

I can imagine you fetishized this short live craptastic series when it came out in 1998:
The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer
[youtube]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168373/reference[/youtube]
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 10:15 am
@tsarstepan,
What's wrong with you? Why do you assume I like crappy stuff? I didn't even know what The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer was.

I watched a lot of cartoons in the '80s and '90s. I have complained about how crappy current cartoons are.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2019 12:57 pm
Someone on another site asked "Does anyone wish it was the 1980's again?" and I responded with:

"Yes, or the '90s. I am tired of all this techno crap complicating people's lives. Things used to be a lot simpler.

Some tech is okay. I wish video sharing sites were around in the '80s and '90s. I would have videotaped and uploaded more stuff.

I wish artist/writer community sites like DeviantArt.com had been around."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 09:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because you go on rants against PC culture. And following your threads and posts over so many years here at a2k and your lack of grasping satire and humor. Plus, you never post what you do find funny.

I'm going to keep on assuming your sense of humor has far from matured emotionally or intellectually beyond your middle school years (or however old you were in the 80s).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 09:58 pm
The 80s and 90s passed like a quick-moving blip on the radar screen for me. They hit at the wrong time in my life. If someone brings up a memory that reminds me of something, I would recall that particular item, but in general, those decades are a blur. The 60s and much of the 70s are much more in focus for me. I just turned 77 this month. I suppose that helps to explain it. Maybe not.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
The only thing I really miss is the family members, friends and favorite colleagues who died too young.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I lost a lot of people over the years. I never dismiss them. I was six when I began losing people that way and it accelerates each year now.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 11:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope they were Saved.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 11:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
No, they died.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 11:20 pm
@Sturgis,
I miss the days when most people would actually talk on a phone or snail mail each other. They still make landline phones. I miss the days when payphones were more commonplace.

On one hand, I like performing certain actions on the Internet- I like that I can communicate with people from around the world without leaving my home and that using the Internet takes the grunt work out of performing certain tasks and I like certain functions on the Internet; on the other I kind of dislike how stuff is kind of thrown in your face.

I do like that I can discover certain things online that I didn't know existed if commercialized internet access did not exist.

I dislike that certain parties expect you to know how to do something online. I dislike that it seems like people can't function in this day and age without knowing how to use the Internet.

I am glad that tech companies stopped putting demands on people to keep up with current tech. I assume they stopped because they probably assumed most people have assimilated and become accustomed to some of it at least by now.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 11:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, I meant I hope that the people that passed whom you are referring to got born again before they passed. I hope they gave their lives to Christ and became Christians before they passed.

https://mountpleasant.org/home/what-does-it-mean-to-be-saved/
https://www1.cbn.com/churchandministry/what-does-it-mean-to-be-saved%3F
https://lifehopeandtruth.com/change/salvation/what-does-it-mean-to-be-saved/
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 01:20 am
Quote:
What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

Being there.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 01:29 am
@Miss L Toad,
Okay. I never liked Spears.

I think music videos from the '80s and '90s were better than most music videos made now. A lot of the ones made now are crap.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 06:41 pm
Are radios and hi fi stereo systems still being used? I know they were used a lot in the '80s and '90s. I could be wrong but it seems like both have fallen out of common use. I know people still use car radios.

If people weren't listening to the radio anymore than why would these guys post audio clips of their radio show online, like this one?:

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 09:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Are radios and hi fi stereo systems...

I still use radios on a regular basis.
My stereo however is unplugged and collecting dust.