What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 02:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Epic Rap Battles of History is a popular online series. The people who produce the videos have characters using old '80s and '90s slang in some of the episodes.

This is an example of a current 21st century series that uses old '80s and '90s slang.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 03:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'll rephrase my question:

Do you have an example of a sentence with 80s/90s slang words that you wrote and plan to use in your project?
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 03:06 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I have to think about it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 03:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Just use a line of dialogue from one of your scripts.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2020 11:13 pm
In the '80s and '90s video mags were popular. My dad had a couple of those. These magazines focused on VCRS, video cameras, and related electronic equipment and video releases on VHS and laserdisc. I had one that a local video store published, and I had a couple of issues of Whole Toon Catalog - this was a magazine that catalogued cartoons you buy on VHS, laserdisc and CAV laserdisc. I still have a few old WTC mags lying around. I also had a catalog from a vender who sold old, used and rare stuff on VHS tapes. Are video mags still a thing?

I haven't been to any video stores in years. I would imagine 21st century video mags would focus on DVRs, whatever electronic equipment people use to record video with now, DVDs and Blu Ray.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:30 am
@JGoldman10,
You kind of avoided answering my question regarding 80s/90s slang.

Magazines about cameras and electronics are still around, though I doubt they are heavily read when people can go to numerous websites for information on new tech.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:10 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't have any scripts written that use '80s/'90s slang - yet. I'll give you some examples of sentences some characters might use. I have to think about it. I'll get back to you on it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2020 09:36 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Exactly. That's probably why Nintendo stopped publishing Nintendo Power a couple of years back. People aren't going to want to read a magazine for gameplay tips and tricks and strategy guides when they can just look up gamefaqs online.

A huge bulk of info is available to anyone online.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2020 08:53 am
I sort of miss the original popular practice of American TV shows having full 24~ episodes per season, whereas the current trend is TV shows, particularly on cable or streaming, having 13 or less episodes per season.

Though I don't miss the longer seasons too much.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 03:07 am
I remember certain '80s and '90s kids' cartoon shows used to be shown on TV with bumpers. These bumpers were shown before and after commercial breaks.

The programming bumpers shown before commercial breaks would include the phrase "We'll be [right] back after these messages" or "(name of show) will be back after these messages" (or variations of it), except for the bump before the final commercial break, which would usually say, "And now, these messages" (or variations of this phrase).

The bumpers shown after commercial breaks would include the phrase "And now back to the show" or "And now back to (name of show)" (or variations of it).

Why did they stop producing commercial bumpers for kids' cartoon shows?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why did they stop producing commercial bumpers for kids' cartoon shows?

No one here knows the answer to this?
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 12:12 am
@JGoldman10,
Not having to constantly hear about covid19, trump, biden, the republicans, the democrats, the usa in general and the rest of the bullshit that goes with it all...
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2020 11:45 pm
@justaguy2,
Do you know the answer to my question?
justaguy2

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:34 am
@JGoldman10,
As a matter of definitive fact? No, I don't.

But my guess would be that it has something to do with something we call "the internet" and something we call "smartphones" (and similar)... in that; the average person these days doesn't have the same attention span as someone who grew up in the 90's or before without distractions like smartphones with internet access, and the internet in general for that matter. I can just watch pretty much anything on TV, on the internet instead, same for anyone else, even listen to radio stations via the internet too.

(If I'm right in thinking that you're asking me about your "why did they stop producing commercial bumpers for kids' cartoon shows?" question.)
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 07:37 am
@justaguy2,
Kids' entertainment was much different in the '80s and '90s. Yes I was asking why they stopped producing commercial bumpers for kids' cartoon shows.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2020 01:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
From what I have seen today, they are still bumpers on the Nickelodeon shows. Sometimes they use generic bumpers with just the channel name, sometimes they use clips from the show they're attached to.

Cartoon Network do have bumpers that say "Up next....and later...".

Here is a Nickelodeon collection from Winter 2017

And Cartoon Network bumpers from 2019-2020

The Disney Channel also still uses bumpers
0 Replies