Turning PBS into another propaganda tool

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:53 am
Setanta wrote:
Certainly quite a few Canadians have died to give Mr. Mountie his freedom--or, at any event, one might say so inferentially. The more than 60,000 Canadians who died in the Great War, out of a population of 7,000,000 was a far, far higher proportion of Canada's population than were the casualties the United States suffered.

All of which has no relevance to Mr. Mountie's relationship to American combat deaths, which cannot necessarily be construed as having been sacrifices intended to guarantee the freedom of Canadians.

set

Gosh I love having you back. I do take it though, that rayban conceived he and all you others were sacrificing for the freedom of canadians as well as americans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:55 am
A point which would, of course, be subject to a demand for proof . . . i especially liked the comment by JTT on the subject of the extent to which one can claim the Vietnam War was intended to protect our freedom . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:56 am
Setanta wrote:
Go take your meds, Mr. Mountie, Dys is on your side . . .

He's never been on my side. Right from the beginning he's been jabbing me with those pointy elbows and trying to hook his hook shnozz around ladies I fancy. He's a bad one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
A point which would, of course, be subject to a demand for proof . . . i especially liked the comment by JTT on the subject of the extent to which one can claim the Vietnam War was intended to protect our freedom . . .

Oh yes. I'll send my Chomsky library over to rayban, though he's probably already got the same books.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:08 am
blatham wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Oh yes. I'll send my Chomsky library over to rayban, though he's probably already got the same books.

I have absolutely no time for that Castro lover..........you can keep your library. Chomsky should have stuck with Linguistics. He is anothor who has no appreciation for those who died to give him the freedom to thumb his nose at America
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:46 am
rayban1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I have absolutely no time for that Castro lover..........you can keep your library. Chomsky should have stuck with Linguistics. He is anothor who has no appreciation for those who died to give him the freedom to thumb his nose at America

Apparently, Mr Chomsky has a hearty appreciation for those freedoms. He exercises them with great vigor.

"As one of his severest critics, the philosopher Hilary Putnam, acknowledges,

When one reads Chomsky, one is struck by a sense of great intellectual power; one knows one is encountering an extraordinary mind. And this is as much a matter of the spell of his powerful personality as it is of his obvious intellectual virtues: originality, scorn for the faddish and the superficial; willingness to revive (and the ability to revive positions ... that had seemed passe, ..."

Compare that with your last few posts, Rayban.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:49 am
OK, thanks for actually coming up with something, McG. I wish I had time for a nimh job on those -- I don't.

I'll counter with the quicker option for now, inaccuracies in Fox news.

First, one of your links (the second) is obliging:

http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_context=3&x_outlet=15&x_article=149

Your third link is inoperational.

Your fourth is basically the same as your first -- same organization.

Your fifth is again in the same category as the article you posted where I asked whether anything being huffed about was actually untrue. Here they are huffing about this sentence; ""Yet another controversial Bush administration judicial nomination seems to be headed for trouble." What is inaccurate about this? Several Bush administration judicial nominations have been controversial. Several nominations have run into trouble.

It goes on to say,

Quote:

That sounds rather bizarre to me. At worst, it's evidence of bias -- not inaccuracies. The cartoon really existed (and sounds just as offensive as the Condi Rice cartoons that people were [understandably] upset about here.)

Then the next part is about how Totenberg was wrong to describe Brown as "seem[ing] at times confused", and explains Totenberg was wrong because while Brown was confused, she was justifiably confused:

Quote:

So it wasn't so hard to do a nimh job after all. Your cites are a) from an uncredentialled crank, b) from a link that cites inaccuracies in Fox news, as well, c) inoperational, d) a repeat of b, and e) incoherent, contradictory opinion that has no evidence of factual inaccuracies.

I'll see what I can find on Fox.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:49 am
Quote:

A consummation devoutly to be desired . . . and about as likely as the prospect of the Sun rising in the west tomorrow . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:55 am
This seems particularly pertinent to this discussion:

Quote:
Variations in Misperceptions According to Source of News

The extent of Americans' misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions. Those who receive most of their news from NPR or PBS are less likely to have misperceptions. These variations cannot simply be explained as a result of differences in the demographic characteristics of each audience, because these variations can also be found when comparing the demographic subgroups of each audience.

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Report.pdf
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:57 am
JTT wrote:

I don't question the depth of his intellect........it's his ideology that I have nothing but contempt for.........such a waste of a great mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:57 am
One can only commend your honesty.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:01 pm
I've been researching Ali Abunimah and am now not so sure if he is a crank. I was going by the sheer number of letters to the editor (or eviqualent) listed.

Interestingly, what I also found in doing research is that one of your cites discredits another (two, actually):

http://electronicintifada.net/features/mediaonmedia/20010821camera.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:04 pm
Another quote from the PIPA report:

Quote:
Evidence of Links Between Iraq and Al Qaeda
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:04 pm
Quote:

I guess you aren't going to buy the argument that when freedom is defined as having to do precisely what those in power tell you to do without arguing, it looses much of its appeal. You know, particularly when THEY aren't doing what they tell YOU to do themselves.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:05 pm
rayban1 wrote:
JTT wrote:

I don't question the depth of his intellect........it's his ideology that I have nothing but contempt for.........such a waste of a great mind.

It's mighty hard to reconcile that one who possesses such an intellect should be dismissed in such a cavalier fashion. Would it not be more in keeping with the conservative tradition to bring forward those things that you disagree with him on and then proceed to demolish his arguments.

That cliche that you keep repeating oughta do it. Chomsky would be toast!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:05 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'll see what I can find on Fox.

You really don't need to. I believe they are there. No news organization should be able to claim 100% accuracy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:06 pm
Quote:
World Public Opinion

Respondents were also asked to give their impression of how they think "people in the world feel about the US having gone to war with Iraq." Over the three-month period, 25% of all respondents said, incorrectly, that "the majority of people favor the US having gone to war." Of Fox watchers, 35% said this. Only 5% of those who watch PBS or listen to NPR misperceived world opinion in this way. As usual, those who primarily get their news from print media were the second lowest, with 17% having this misperception.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:08 pm
Quote:
Misperceptions According to Level of Attention to News

While it would seem that misperceptions are derived from a failure to pay attention to the news, overall, those who pay greater attention to the news are no less likely to have misperceptions. Among those who primarily watch Fox, those who pay more attention are more likely to have misperceptions. Only those who mostly get their news from print media, and to some extent those who primarily watch CNN, have fewer misperceptions as they pay more attention.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:09 pm
sozobe wrote:
Quote:
World Public Opinion

Respondents were also asked to give their impression of how they think "people in the world feel about the US having gone to war with Iraq." Over the three-month period, 25% of all respondents said, incorrectly, that "the majority of people favor the US having gone to war." Of Fox watchers, 35% said this. Only 5% of those who watch PBS or listen to NPR misperceived world opinion in this way. As usual, those who primarily get their news from print media were the second lowest, with 17% having this misperception.

McG will so stipulate. Thanks for the "legwork", Sozobe. I'm hittin' the hay.

Nighty night all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:10 pm
Oh, just saw your comment, McG. OK. Still like these quotes for their relevance to this discussion -- a direct comparison -- but will stop now.
0 Replies