Turning PBS into another propaganda tool

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:18 pm
McGentrix wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I'll see what I can find on Fox.

You really don't need to. I believe they are there. No news organization should be able to claim 100% accuracy.

Ok, that may be true. But by saying that, aren't you in effect saying that the inaccuracy of Fox is comparable to that of the other networks, specifically PBS and NPR? I'm not at all convinced that it is.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:19 pm
I see no point in attempting to demolish Chomsky's arguments. He has accomplished that very nicely with his own anarchist ravings.........he is passe...... no one but a slobbering college Marxist would take his politics seriously. His brilliant work on Linguistics is another matter.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:25 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I'll see what I can find on Fox.

You really don't need to. I believe they are there. No news organization should be able to claim 100% accuracy.

Ok, that may be true. But by saying that, aren't you in effect saying that the inaccuracy of Fox is comparable to that of the other networks, specifically PBS and NPR? I'm not at all convinced that it is.

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that NPR is not an infallible institution of truth and honesty.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:26 pm
rayban1 wrote:
I see no point in attempting to demolish Chomsky's arguments.

I can't but agree with you, Rayban. A wise choice indeed. Your arsenal appears empty..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:30 pm
I think we can agree that nobody is absolutely infallible, McG. But is that really all you've been saying?

If so, why would that be an argument for PBS (or NPR) to have more "balance" in the red/ blue sense... especially if studies show that those who pay close attention to PBS/ NPR as they have been are far less likely to have misperceptions about facts than those who pay close attention to Fox?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:39 pm
NPR is a biased organization. Fox is a biased organization. CNN is a biased organization. etc...

All could use counter balance. When I speak of NPR, I include everything I hear. Every Daniel Shorr piece, every time ATC only considers one side of a story, etc.

NPR is a great institution, but I worry when it is defended as a bastion of truth an honesty because it is not. It is entertainment mixed with news, opinion, and perception.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:42 pm
But this gets back to my central point.

Do you think "the world is round" should be balanced by "the world is flat"? Why or why not? People really believe that. There's a flat earth society and everything.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, I am not saying that. I am saying that NPR is not an infallible institution of truth and honesty.

Ok, I can agree with that. But then:

Quote:
NPR is a biased organization. Fox is a biased organization. CNN is a biased organization. etc...

All could use counter balance. When I speak of NPR, I include everything I hear. Every Daniel Shorr piece, every time ATC only considers one side of a story, etc.

NPR is a great institution, but I worry when it is defended as a bastion of truth an honesty because it is not. It is entertainment mixed with news, opinion, and perception.

And I wonder again if you aren't saying that all the networks are equally biased and dishonest. I happen to think NPR is the most honest of them all, simply because no-one has presented to me an example where it was dishonest. But no-one is saying that NPR is "a bastion of truth and honesty". I think it's the most reliable news source and that, as far as entertainment, it has the most interesting stories. I almost always learn something when I listen to them. It would be sorely missed by me if we were to lose it. Same goes for PBS -- who I mostly like for their children's programming so actually have to make assumptions about their news coverage.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:17 pm
I have written to both my Senators as well as my Congressman to urge them to investigate the efforts by Kenneth Tomlinson to coerce and intimidate PBS into spouting the current Government line. I urge those of you who have been arguing with the likes of McGentrix to do the same. (In my case, both Senators and the US Rep. happen to be Democrats, so there's a good chance my post will be actually read. Smile)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:39 pm
Bill Moyers is a red-faced, spittle spewing rabid Marxist-Leninist lefty.

He is openly anti-Republican and has no business masquerading as a journalist.

NPR has finally been called on the carpet BY DEMOCRATS who admit NPR is too one-sided in their reportage.

A Jew never did anything good per NPR.

NPR=National Palestinian Radio.

They should have to present a balanced view.

I nearly split a gut when they said they may have to call in.....Fox News....to learn how to report in a balanced manner.

Guf------FAW!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:40 pm
Daniel Shorr---ALWAYS ANTI-BUSH.

I really hate that old geezer.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:41 pm
That's nice, dear.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:42 pm
It was cathartic.

<exhales evenly...>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:12 pm
thanks for sharing that Lash but you know Moyers is really a bit old for you (well that and he's a Baptist)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:42 pm
Dys, is it true that Babdists are opposed to sex because it might lead to dancing?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:45 pm
Setanta,
I think they just can't bump uglies while standing for fear that sumboddy might a see em and think they wuz a dancin'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:59 pm
Gotcha, Boss, thanks fer the clarification . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:45 pm
Love your new quote.

mmm...bacon
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:53 pm
Just changed it . . . nyah nyah . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:00 pm