Turning PBS into another propaganda tool

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:32 am
McGentrix wrote:
No, what I got was a bunch of cut and pastes of other peoples opinions on Fox News.

But, we'll let that slide for a moment. If I also go and fetch example of various personalities on NPR being rather, shall we say liberal, will that satisfy you that NPR may actually have a liberal slant?

BTW, I agree that fox news is conservative. I have never argued that it wasn't. Rolling Eyes

No you got facts. You still aren't able to discern the difference. Facts have supporting documentation, the kind NOTED by the Columbia Journalism Review, the kind that they found were absent in the, ... what the hell is the name of that group that Brent Bozo runs?

WTF, McG! CONSERVATIVE!! Many at Fox are full blown liars! As Blatham pointed out, when management issues directives of how the "news" should roll each day, 'conservative' is a bit of a stretch; even for someone like yourself who, as we all know, is dedicated to the truth.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:33 am
McGentrix, the problem is, then what? NPR trends liberal. Fox trends (ahem) conservative. The world is round. The world is flat. Does the fact that there is balance automatically mean that they both are correct? Does the quest for balance mean that "the world is flat" should get equal air time? Why or why not?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:46 am
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
No, what I got was a bunch of cut and pastes of other peoples opinions on Fox News.

But, we'll let that slide for a moment. If I also go and fetch example of various personalities on NPR being rather, shall we say liberal, will that satisfy you that NPR may actually have a liberal slant?

BTW, I agree that fox news is conservative. I have never argued that it wasn't. Rolling Eyes

No you got facts. You still aren't able to discern the difference. Facts have supporting documentation, the kind NOTED by the Columbia Journalism Review, the kind that they found were absent in the, ... what the hell is the name of that group that Brent Bozo runs?

WTF, McG! CONSERVATIVE!! Many at Fox are full blown liars! As Blatham pointed out, when management issues directives of how the "news" should roll each day, 'conservative' is a bit of a stretch; even for someone like yourself who, as we all know, is dedicated to the truth.

I don't recall asking for facts, rather your opinion. It seems that YOU may be the one unable to discern the difference. I am aware of the multitudes of commentators and their opinions on Fox News. I asked for YOURS. I asked because I knew what it was already and that you would respond with the typical liberal response spouting the evils of Fox.

Yet, you still seem to be immune to understanding that NPR is nothing more than a liberal launch pad for daily news and information. There is nothing wrong with that as it provides a valuable service. Just recognize it for what it really is.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:48 am
What is it really? Saying that the world is round?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:54 am
Quote:
The mere fact that you, Blatham and others can not even admit that NPR has a liberal bias is telling.

Less telling than you might be imagining. I have never listened to it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:00 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
The mere fact that you, Blatham and others can not even admit that NPR has a liberal bias is telling.

Well you should start. They have some good stuff on there.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:10 am
rayban wrote:
Quote:
As usual you fail to recognize the impact of the main point here.......THE NEWS MEDIA SHOULD NOT HAVE THE POWER TO INFLUENCE THE OUTCOME OF A WAR....
It is the responsibility of the President, with the approval of Congress, to wage war, and it is the responsibility of the Defense Dept to conduct the war. Once the decision has been made it is the responsibility of ALL to support the war effort. Anything less is treasonous and it should be recognized as such.

I'm afraid I agree with nothing here. Was it treasonous for Mark Twain to speak out against US operations in the Phillipines? Was it treasonous for Germans or Japanese to protest their governments' acts of war once they had begun? If you answer 'yes', then the worth of the term 'treasonous' goes down to zero. You might argue that Japan was bad and America is good. In response, all one needs to do is quote Japanese citizens saying something like you might say about the holiness of their own nation.

Soldiers are a dime a dozen. No war-happy elite ever has trouble convincing young men that their wives and children are at risk of some external (or internal) evil about to destroy everything good and holy. Every conflict has hordes of believers crawling up over the bodies of their comrades to add to the pile.

Particularly disgusting in the present situation is that NONE of the elite sending young boys and girls off to be mutilated bothered to join you in viet nam (other than Powell). As Bolton said "I didn't fancy the idea of dying in a rice paddy." They stayed here humping blondes and getting rich. How you can trust these fukks is beyond me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Well you should start. They have some good stuff on there.

I'm sure that is so. In Canada, I listened to the CBC radio channel (comparable I expect, certainly excellent) but I've not shifted that habit over to NPR yet.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:36 am
McGentrix wrote:
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I don't recall asking for facts, rather your opinion.

That's pretty stupid, McG! Why would you want opinions over facts? What good would an opinion be about something that would require, say, some type of study to discern?

It seems that YOU may be the one unable to discern the difference. I am aware of the multitudes of commentators and their opinions on Fox News. I asked for YOURS. I asked because I knew what it was already and that you would respond with the typical liberal response spouting the evils of Fox.

So, you've just proven to us that you don't know the difference between a fact and mere opinion. I provided FACTS! Those facts were verifiable, in fact, you could have done the research yourself by watching Sean Hannity coach those nurses towards the "truth".

The step by step process that Media Matters uses to consistently expose those liars at Fox is a matter of the public record.

Yet, you still seem to be immune to understanding that NPR is nothing more than a liberal launch pad for daily news and information. There is nothing wrong with that as it provides a valuable service. Just recognize it for what it really is.

Okay, okay, I submit. I have been overwhelmed by the mountain of supporting documentation that you've provided, McGentrix.

0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:42 am
Blatham

I have no idea Blatham why I waste my energy on people with your mindset. You....who have no appreciation for the freedom that others died to give you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:50 am
rayban1 wrote:
Blatham

I have no idea Blatham why I waste my energy on people with your mindset. You....who have no appreciation for the freedom that others died to give you.

You might wish to talk with dyslexia who arrived in viet nam in 64. You two likely won't get on well.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:51 am
'63
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:53 am
JTT wrote:
The more compelling our journalism, the angrier the radical right of the Republican Party became.[/color] [or 'become' in the case of McGentix] That's because the one thing they loathe more than liberals is the truth. And the quickest way to be damned by them as liberal is to tell the truth.

This is the point of my story: Ideologues don't want you to go beyond the typical labels of left and right. They embrace a world view that can't be proven wrong because they will admit no evidence to the contrary. They want your reporting to validate their belief system and when it doesn't, God forbid. [/color]

JTT:
Kenneth Tomlinson has been making the rounds explaining his point of view. When Bill Moyers asked Kenneth Tomlinson to debate the issues that he had raised, on PBS, in the public view, guess what, Mr Tomlinson declined. So much for having both sides air their views; so much for the new vision for PBS.

JTT, I already know the facts. That's why I wanted your opinion. I wanted to understand how YOU interpreted the facts. Not how someone else has. They are not posting on A2K. JTT is. I wanted to know if you understood what it was you were saying in the post above.

So far you have proven that you do not, but that you allow yourself to be spoonfed your opinions by others.

Look at what you have posted about Fox News and then read the following:

Ideologues don't want you to go beyond the typical labels of left and right. They embrace a world view that can't be proven wrong because they will admit no evidence to the contrary. They want your reporting to validate their belief system and when it doesn't, God forbid. [/color]
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:55 am
rayban1 wrote:
Blatham

I, for one, would love to hear how those soldiers who died in Vietnam, [terribly sad as it is that so many young men died], contributed in any fashion whatsoever to anyone's freedom.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:58 am
Certainly quite a few Canadians have died to give Mr. Mountie his freedom--or, at any event, one might say so inferentially. The more than 60,000 Canadians who died in the Great War, out of a population of 7,000,000 was a far, far higher proportion of Canada's population than were the casualties the United States suffered.

All of which has no relevance to Mr. Mountie's relationship to American combat deaths, which cannot necessarily be construed as having been sacrifices intended to guarantee the freedom of Canadians.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:03 am
MgG, the evidence to the contrary is exactly what I keep bringing up and keeps being brushed over. It was the point of the article I posted. If NPR and PBS are liberal, whatever -- the only problem I see is if they are INACCURATE.

The central premise that I am rebutting is that balance, as the word is typically used with reference to news these days, is always a good thing. I don't think "the earth is round" needs to or should be balanced by "the earth is flat."

I don't discount something merely because it is conservative, I discount it because it is inaccurate.

Where is your evidence of inaccuracies in NPR or PBS?

(And yes, I can provide evidence of Fox's inaccuracies, though I am asking you to support a position you have taken, while I haven't taken any particular position on Fox.)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:19 am
McGentrix wrote:
JTT wrote:
The more compelling our journalism, the angrier the radical right of the Republican Party became.[/color] [or 'become' in the case of McGentix] That's because the one thing they loathe more than liberals is the truth. And the quickest way to be damned by them as liberal is to tell the truth.

This is the point of my story: Ideologues don't want you to go beyond the typical labels of left and right. They embrace a world view that can't be proven wrong because they will admit no evidence to the contrary. They want your reporting to validate their belief system and when it doesn't, God forbid. [/color]

JTT:
Kenneth Tomlinson has been making the rounds explaining his point of view. When Bill Moyers asked Kenneth Tomlinson to debate the issues that he had raised, on PBS, in the public view, guess what, Mr Tomlinson declined. So much for having both sides air their views; so much for the new vision for PBS.

JTT, I already know the facts. That's why I wanted your opinion. I wanted to understand how YOU interpreted the facts. Not how someone else has. They are not posting on A2K. JTT is. I wanted to know if you understood what it was you were saying in the post above.

So far you have proven that you do not, but that you allow yourself to be spoonfed your opinions by others.

Look at what you have posted about Fox News and then read the following:

Ideologues don't want you to go beyond the typical labels of left and right. They embrace a world view that can't be proven wrong because they will admit no evidence to the contrary. They want your reporting to validate their belief system and when it doesn't, God forbid. [/color]

You want my opinion. You've asked for my opinion, McG. I think my opinion is pretty clear. And my opinion has been backed up by proofs that are verifiable. So far, all I've heard from you is that you know the facts but, I'll let you in on a little secret, the proof you've supplied is nonexistent.

You're asking me [plus Blatham and others] to just take your word for it. I know that's a position that sits well with conservatives but, I'm funny that way, I need more in the way of proof.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling" doesn't work for me. Sozobe warned you at least twice that you were tripping yourself up but you steadfastly plowed on. Now, about that proof you promised how many postings ago.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:21 am
So what do you require? Some links?

http://www.abunimah.org/nprletters/990701lebanon.html
http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_article=85&x_context=4
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&program=CSC-News&id=2058
http://www.fixnpr.org/NPR-Articles-Just-say-no.asp
http://committeeforjustice.org/contents/news/news103003_rushton.shtml

Now don't get me wrong here. I enjoy NPR or I wouldn't listen to it as often as I do. I'm not saying that the news is neccessarily often wrong either. BUT, if you take away the opinion shows on Fox and look only at the news, you will find very few inaccuracies or bias as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:51 am
dyslexia wrote:
'63

Jesus christ almighty...can you even open your goddamn mouth without contradicting me???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:53 am
Go take your meds, Mr. Mountie, Dys is on your side . . .
0 Replies