Turning PBS into another propaganda tool

blatham

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:05 pm
For those of you who didn't read the recent NY Times coverage on the changes being made at PBS and NPR, or even for those of you who did, this following speech from Bill Moyers tells the story of what sort of trouble America is heading towards.
http://baltimorechronicle.com/051805Moyers.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 27,891 • Replies: 616
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:59 pm
So the liberal, govt supported mouthpiece of the left is being forced to be more honest in it's reporting? What is the issue?

How many conservatives are on NPR or PBS? I would say if the govt is supporting them then they need to have a balance.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:16 pm
Re: Turning PBS into another propaganda tool
blatham wrote:
For those of you who didn't read the recent NY Times coverage on the changes being made at PBS and NPR, or even for those of you who did, this following speech from Bill Moyers tells the story of what sort of trouble America is heading towards.
http://baltimorechronicle.com/051805Moyers.shtml

Blatham you've got it wrong again.........all we want is a little balanced reporting at NPR and to tar and feather Moyers before running him out of "Dodge". Whew.....talk about a forked tongued snake........

I have a question for you Blatham........what is the noise made when speaking out of both sides of your mouth? Answer......it's Moyer-Speak.

If you weren't so enraptured with his message to the choir you would recognize that when reading the text of his speech which you so thoughtfully presented. With every other breath he uttered a contradiction but then that is standard operating procedure with LIBS so you might not recognize it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:27 pm
They come right outta the woodwork, don't they, Blatham?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:05 pm
A few of the usual suspects, there are others
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:22 pm
Well, it's interesting to read them if for no other reason than to remind us the dangers to democracy of a poorly educated citizenry.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:25 pm
<bookmark>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:26 pm
somebodycall me? I was guttin a possum.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:31 pm
Nope. No one called. Return to the guttin.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:27 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

Do you have no response other then to prod the people who do respond?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:13 am
Baldimo wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Do you have no response other then to prod the people who do respond?

No, none. You've made your case just as Bill Moyers made his.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:06 am
Baldimo wrote:
So the liberal, govt supported mouthpiece of the left is being forced to be more honest in it's reporting? What is the issue?

How many conservatives are on NPR or PBS? I would say if the govt is supporting them then they need to have a balance.

ok, baldimo. How much PBS have you ever watched? You do not know of what you speak, and that's evident from your suggestion of bias on the network. The Newshour, which I've been watching for a dozen years almost every night of the week NEVER presents one side of a debate...NEVER. Anyone can look at the web site and see who has been on. For any speaker on any issue that might lean partisan or ideological, there is someone from the other side as well. You could go to the site and count the number of American Enterprise Institue speakers they have each week, for example. And on each friday evening, there is a political roundup with a dem supporter and with a repub supporter...presently David Brooks, before him was Paul Gigot now editor of the WSJ. On Bill Moyers show NOW, you could listen to Norquist, Luntz, etc etc. He always presented a voice from either side and counter-viewpoints.

So I know you haven't been watching PBS, nor has the other fellow. And thus I also know that you guys are intellectually content speaking what you don't really know about. You shouldn't be.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:25 am
blatham wrote:
Well, it's interesting to read them if for no other reason than to remind us the dangers to democracy of a poorly educated citizenry.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:30 am
Baldimo wrote:

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:57 am
Baldimo wrote:

And I'll just speak up for NPR who always gives both sides a voice. I find both networks to be the most honest in their reporting of any network. Perhaps you have some specific accusations as to either's honesty in reporting? Or do you just have the usual "NPR is liberal" unthinking, unsupported, uninformed position?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:58 am
Why would ANYONE argue about a TAX PAYER FUNDED TV Station becoming un-biased?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:11 am
woiyo wrote:
Why would ANYONE argue about a TAX PAYER FUNDED TV Station becoming un-biased?

Show that it's biased, and then we can argue.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:48 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

And I'll just speak up for NPR who always gives both sides a voice. I find both networks to be the most honest in their reporting of any network. Perhaps you have some specific accusations as to either's honesty in reporting? Or do you just have the usual "NPR is liberal" unthinking, unsupported, uninformed position?

I am a regular NPR listener and you are wrong here. NPR has a definite liberal slant and a definite anti-Bush undertone. They are honest when it comes to reporting a pro-left point of view, but the few measly pro-right pieces you actually hear still end up having some sort of liberal bias to them.

I remember ONE interview that was actually pro-Bush regarding the elections in Iraq. I remember it clearly because it wa THE FIRST TIME I HAD EVER HEARD IT! It shocked me!

So please spare me the idea that NPR is somehow honest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:52 am
Making cogent argument isn't woiyo's game. Nor is reading and spending time at checking evidences and viewpoints. woiyo is a happy little fellow. Simple was good enough for grandpa and its good enough for him.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:53 am
McGentrix wrote:

I am a regular NPR listener and you are wrong here. NPR has a definite liberal slant and a definite anti-Bush undertone. They are honest when it comes to reporting a pro-left point of view, but the few measly pro-right pieces you actually hear still end up having some sort of liberal bias to them.

I remember ONE interview that was actually pro-Bush regarding the elections in Iraq. I remember it clearly because it wa THE FIRST TIME I HAD EVER HEARD IT! It shocked me!

And yet you heard it on NPR. The fact that you don't agree with the reporting doesn't make it biased. Maybe it makes you biased. How can a pro-right piece have liberal bias?

Quote:
So please spare me the idea that NPR is somehow honest.

This is the one that I don't believe you can really back up. You don't agree with the reporting, it doesn't fit your view of the world. Ok. But how is that dishonest? Just show me and example of NPR's reporting (reporting, as in the news and indepth news stories) where there is dishonesty. As in lying, since that's what it means to be dishonest. What exactly is dishonest about it?
0 Replies