George Galloway blasts the Senate

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:13 pm
From A Logical Voice

Quote:
Galloway gives US senators "a good hiding"
Well, if any visitors here to "A Logical Voice" watched that Galloway hearing, then you'll know that Galloway really made mincemeat out of those American senators. They really don't know how to handle opposition as they aren't used to it over there, and it showed, Galloway went straight for the throat on a number of occasions.

When asked by Norman Coleman about a colleagues business dealings, Galloway stated that he did not know about all of the dealings, and asked Coleman if Coleman knew about all the dealings of people who donate money to him, like the AIPAC. A very reasonable thing to point out. (a powerful Israeli lobby in the US)

When asked would it trouble Galloway if his colleague had been the person behind the sanctions busting, Galloway eventually stated, after stating that he had never been in favour of the sanctions which killed a million Iraqis including many thousands of children that it would trouble him if his colleague were prosecuted for any crimes.

When pressed on the illegality of sanctions busting, Galloway rightly brought up the legality of the American act of aggression against the Iraqi people, he also attacked the American senators who supported the criminal actions of the rogue regime in Washington when they claimed that former senior Hussein regime officials in US custody had said that Galloway was involved in oil trading by stating that the world knows how America treats its prisoners, and it was hardly surprising if they managed to extract information to their liking from them.

Additional to that, Galloway also stated that he'd never seen the documents which contained his name, and wanted to see the documents to assess whether or not they were forgeries.

All in all, Galloway will have stunned Americans with his performance, maybe they won't think the Brits will sell themselves quite as easily as Blair did now. Perhaps they will also seriously realise that their politicians are just as much a bunch of liars as everyone else around the world knows them to be.

There are millions of Brits, just like Galloway, who oppose America's acts of aggression, war mongering and human rights abuses, and we will not all prostitute ourselves for the whims and fantasies of a bunch of fanatical extremists from another country. America, you have had a taste of British public opinion, now you really know what we think of your rogue regime.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:15 pm
From The Left Coaster

Quote:
George Galloway Bitch-Slaps Norm Coleman

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/homepage/hp5-17-05d.jpg

"On the very first page of your document about me, you assert that I have had many meetings with Saddam Hussein. This is false...I have had two meetings with Saddam Hussein, once in 1994 and once in August 2002. By no stretch of the English language can that be described as many meetings. In fact I've met him exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is that Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns."
--British MP George Galloway, today

British Member of Parliament George Galloway came to Washington today and bitch-slapped GOP Senator Norm Coleman around in a manner that many Democrats should learn from. After Coleman has used the Homeland Security and Government Operations Committee and its investigators as his personal platform to bash the UN Oil for Food program and to make himself look good nationally, he anticipated he would get the chance to beat up Galloway face to face today for allegedly being in Saddam's back pocket and profiting from illicit oil sales within the Oil for Food program.

Instead, Galloway came and blasted both Republicans and Democrats alike for their support for the war, their "cavalier" treatment of facts, and the fact that it is the Bush Administration that allowed Saddam to circumvent the UN restrictions and profit from illicit oil sales in the days leading up to the war. It got so bad that Coleman called a recess and moved on to other witnesses after Galloway had trashed Coleman and gone toe-to-toe with a pathetic Carl Levin. Coleman, after probably changing his underwear in the nearest men's room, saved his tough comments until after Galloway had left, which is a typical GOP practice.

It was a tutorial in how to deal with today's GOP in an era when the American Taliban owns them lock, stock, and barrel.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:37 pm
thanks nimh, i think that was the video link ok, though i've no sound here either.

Walter, good posts, where do you get them from?

Glad that one uses the same terms to describe Galloways treatment of the committee as i did

"blasts"

ps. I would not trust him (galloway) as far as I could throw him but I think the Americans have jumped the gun in trying to traduce his name. On topof that the secret evidence they might have against him is just that, secret, Galloway knows this and made them look like children.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 04:33 pm
Well I agree.

Good television. Did it get a good coverage/ audience in the USA?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 04:41 pm
Heard parts of it tonight on the radio, saw parts of it earlier.

Now that's politics!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 04:56 pm
Who?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:37 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Who?

Ah, you saw it then. The committee invited him to speak. He spoke.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:38 pm
Just listened to a radio interview with Mr. Galloway.

He sure errrrrrrr isn't fond of Mr. Chalabi.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:55 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Who?

Forgive Tico, he's from Kansas.

The story hasn't hit short wave yet.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:35 pm
Steve said, way up there:

Quote:
I'm not going to be disrespectful to my own country.

Oh, yeah? Since when?

As for Galloway, got very good press. "...based on a pack of lies....based on a pack of lies." My kind of 'The King Ain't Got No Clothes On' (in the altogether, the altogether) oratory. Wish we could hear more of that stuff on this side of the pond.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:32 pm
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! !

Thank you, thank you, thank you Our Indispensable No It Ain't Me It's Some Other Guy . . . com'ere, little guy, let me give ya a kiss . . . I ain't had that much fun in a coon's age . . .

Bitch slapped him ? ! ? ! ? Hell, he whipped the bitch with a coat hanger, and put her back on the street like the whore she . . . excuse me, he is.

When the wall
Comes tumblin' down
When the wall
Comes tumblin', tumblin' . . .

I will attempt to regain my decorum before posting again, but for now, having viewed the testimony in its entirety, i have an unconquerable need to get up and dance . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:38 pm
I almost take back every harsh word I ever had for Bubble and Squeak. Mrs Steve as4oo, I shall bring my charm with me on our next vist to merry olde although mr steve still needs a sense of humour. (8 freakin' pounds for a pint!)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:51 pm
I see now why Set was dancing. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:39 pm
Today's Comment in the 'Guardian' by Oliver Burkeman says it nicely in its last paragraphe:

Quote:
But Mr Galloway Goes To Washington had never really been an exercise in clarifying the facts. It was an exercise in giving Norm Coleman, and, by extension, the Bush administration, a black eye - mere days after the bloody nose that the Respect MP took credit for having given Tony Blair. And it went as well as Mr Galloway could have wished.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:12 am
During the edited highlights of this on the BBC news last night, viewers were informed that the full "interview" could be seen on their interactive channel, simply by pressing the red button on the remote control.
I pressed, and sure enough, there was the complete, unedited version being played on a continuous loop.
Like Set, I was very impressed, so impressed that I waited to see it come round again and videotaped it for future rainy day entertainment.

On a more serious point, I was curious as to how this was being portrayed on American News networks.

I tuned in, at midnight here (7pm USA esb) to CNN. Now, this was peak time viewing, and one would think that, on the hour, some form of News update would take place. Wrong.
There was a programme about China, and their manufacture of such interesting things as Knitting needles.
I quickly switched over to Fox News.....(I had never watched Fox News before)....and, although they were running a headline story about two missing children, I was immediately struck by their amateurish and subjective style of presentation.
The broadcasters seemed falsely emotive and it was obvious that they were doing their best to sensationalise the story, as opposed to just presenting the facts in a straightforward manner.
The news then moved on to Galloway.....and it left me wondering if the so-called Journalist actually saw the interview. A travesty of news broadcasting.
The item ran for no more than two minutes, Galloway clips were limited to two, each lasting about ten seconds, and then a long diatribe ensued, finding every possible way to cast doubt upon the credibility of Galloway, whilst old footage of one of Saddams "Generals meetings" was being shown. The anti Galloway rhetoric rose to a climax as the cleverly synchronised footage showed all of the "Generals" standing up and applauding a gloating Saddam. If it wasnt so tragic, I would have laughed.
Goebbells, the WW2 Nazi minister for Propaganda, couldnt have made a better job of it. SERIOUSLY.
If that style of crap is served up to the American public as news every day, no wonder a fair number of its Citizens fully supports their leader regarding Iraq.
There would be immediate outrage if the BBC ever tried to put out such rubbish. Talk about dumbing down, in a devious way.

I will never tune in to Fox again....the Journalists working for that station should be ashamed.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:29 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

ps. I would not trust him (galloway) as far as I could throw him but I think the Americans have jumped the gun in trying to traduce his name. On topof that the secret evidence they might have against him is just that, secret, Galloway knows this and made them look like children.

Which man can you heave further, Steve, Tony Blair or George Galloway? First impressions can be misleading but it seems that he was spot on about everything.

Haven't you just done precisely what you're chastizing the Americans for doing?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:46 am
Personally, I dont know enough of the facts regarding Galloway's "business dealings" to make a proper judgement. My gut reaction, however, is that he would bend the rules to suit his political ends.
Which lumps him in with about 90% of the Worlds politicians, methinks.

What seems to have caused so much sensation, is the way that he has dared to speak with such a lack of reverence to the US Senate Commision.

What the ?? Why SHOULD they expect to be treated with kid gloves?
They probably lead a much more devious kind of life than they like to let on, with manipulation of fact and behind the scenes business deals an everyday part of their careers.

This type of heated comment and debate is often seen on British TV. The American politicians would probably shrivel up and die, if faced with such a programme as BBC's Questiontime, aired once a week.
Another BBC "Bulldog", Jeremy Paxman, would probably give them a live TV heart attack.
Good, healthy, questioning, probing political discussion on live TV. It's what America seems to be lacking at the moment.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:54 am
....Oh, and the Smokescreen thing? In my opinion, there has been an orchestrated smear campaign against Galloway, the British Government also playing their part.
It will now be very interesting to see what other things are suddenly produced against him in this matter over the coming weeks.

They had better do some proper research and verify all their facts though, because Galloway will bite their heads off again, given the chance.

I say good on him! It would be nice to see some American (and Brit) politicians with a bit of backbone and principle doing the same.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:10 am
LordThereIsNoRestfortheWicked, did you ever see the interview conducted by the lady from RTE with the Shrub, when he visited Ireland? He was flabbergasted, he really didn't know how to react. She was trying, mightily, to remain as courteous as possible, while pressing him for answers, attempting to sidestep his evasions, and pointing out to him that he was being evasive. The Shrub really didn't know what to do. No handler there to whisper in his ear, no selected audience to ask the questions he's been rehearsed to answer (in the U.S. his handlers makes sure that no one gets into a public meeting who might even remotely be able to ask the Shrub an embarrassing question). The adminstration's mouthpieces were outraged, officially, and loudly. The televised yellow press were beside themselves, driven to distraction at the mere thought--the woman was vilified in the most scurrilous terms. Most Americans were unaware that anything had taken place--but the devotés of Fox News [sic] were nearly hysterical. One loud-mouthed idjit with whom i am unfortunately acquainted stopped just short of offering fisticuffs when i laughed at him; he went red in the face, and left the local restaurant where he had been ranting to the point that the waitresses were complaining to management about his behavior. Personally, i'd have been nothing short of delighted had he attempted bodily assault, but, alas, i was not to be gratified.

Your one comment is so to the point--do you wonder that so many Americans, in and of themselves decent people, support him and his dirty little war, when that is what passes for "news" in their world?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:42 am
Sad day when I have to look to a foreigner verbally whipping our Senate in order to hear eloquent speech.

Was anyone else struck by the language difference?

Anyone else bored to tears by the first guy droning on and on and on and on as he laid out the charges?
0 Replies