George Galloway blasts the Senate

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:25 am
Just as I said the real evidence they had they couldnt produce because it was classified.

So Galloway made them look stupid.

good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 45,329 • Replies: 1,190
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:29 am
Having made the American people look stupid, in Congress assembled, does not actually recommend Mr. Galloway for his wit or wisdom. Not with the current compostion of the Congress, at any event.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:34 am
do you think he did?

I thought you weren't watching it...

anyway I dont think he made the American people look stupid, only the warmongers in the Senate, or more specifically those on the subcommittee.

And in particular the chairman, who at one time was fiddling with his papers for quite a while as you could see Galloway thinking "And the Next Question?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:36 am
No, Boss, i didn't see it, i was taking your word for it. My visit to my friend's house has been postponed, but i've had too much to do to watch that. I shouldn't be taking this time, either, but i'm incorrigible.

The people, in Congress assembled, is an ancient formulary in this country, which i employed in my feeble effort at sarcasm.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:40 am
ok thought it was something like that

"the people in Congress assembled...

has a nice ring to it actually. Wish we had one of those instead of Queen....but then I am an unusual Englishman, as you know.

So more samurai experience later eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:45 am
Yes, I am playing the role of Oda Nobunaga, and my friend is in the role of Takeda Shingen . . . it's always quite a dust up.

Are you resolutely republican, then, Boss?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:03 am
Republican?

Gotta be careful here...its still technically treason, and hanging still applies for that one offence but

COURSE I AM

I have great respect for Queen Elizabeth (being serious here) because

1. She is head of State. And despite disagreements over how she got there, I'm not going to be disrespectful to my own country.

2. She actually does a great job in that she takes the whole shennangans seriously....in pointed contrast to most of her offspring.

But the institution of Monarchy...no
let it go into history where it should be

Of course our monarchy is an endless source of entertainment, especially for the rest of the world for whom its all free.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:19 am
I wish to express my sincere appreciation for all of you who foot the bill for what is indeed, an endless source of mirth and entertainment.

I genuinely respect your statement on the construction of your polity. I suspect you may not be able to make the same statements in the reign of Charles III. Although, it could happen.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:30 am
Thanks

I'll send you the entertainment invoice.

lets see now, 1 penny for everyone else to watch

thats 6,000,000,000/100 = £60M per anum

I could live off even a percentage cut of that.

Regarding the future King Charles III, I am not on personal terms with him but Mrs Steve 41oo has met him and is reconfirmed in her republican beliefs. (Actually she said he was ok, but wouldn't vote for him)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:38 am
Yeah, ya see, that's where the smart monarchs have the fix in . . . Poland used to elect their King, and the eventual result was that Poland disappeared altogether. If Bonny Prince is ever actually obliged to stand for election, he'd be best advised to contact Karl Rove, who has demonstrated an uncanny ability to get any idiot, literally, elected to high office.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:46 pm
Havent seen/read about his Senate performance, but I'll add two links to related, earlier posts/threads:

Here's extensive, muchos interesting background to Galloway's successful run for MP of London Eastend's Bow and Bethnal Green these past elections;

Here's Sofia's thread about Galloway and the Daily Telegraph's allegations about him, which are roughly mirrored by the Senate's now but were rebuffed at the time in a libel case.

At the time, I did already link in the story of how the Christian Science Monitor retracted its own revelations about Galloway as having been based on forged documents, but I never came back to link in the eventual court case against the Telegraph and how Galloway won it. I'll go and do that now.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:49 pm
nimh how wonderful to see you here

so excited I havent read your post yet

but will now do so
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:53 pm
It would be excellent if Linkmeister Habibi would find a link for us to watch the perfomance . . . hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what i mean?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:56 pm
Isnt that Walter's job? Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:57 pm
Aw . . . but Walter's out collecting speeding tickets on the Autobahn, an' yer right here, an' i gotta run an' won't be back for hours . . .

Please, please, pretty please ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:01 pm
he does ask nicely nimh
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:02 pm
Here you are:

Galloway takes on US oil accusers

Click on video link, "Galloway's testimony", underneath the picture. I have no sound here myself so I cant verify, but its something like a 50-minute clip, so I'm guessing its the full hearing (or interview or whatever one man's appearance is called).
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:05 pm
I'm a kindred spirit Steve :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:09 pm
Meanwhile, have you guys followed this story?

US played dumb on sanctions: senators

Quote:
The US Government turned a blind eye to blatant sanctions busting in the prewar sale of Iraqi oil, according to a new Senate investigation.

A report published on Monday night by Democratic staff on a Senate investigations committee presented documentary evidence that the Bush Administration was made aware of illegal oil sales and kickbacks paid to the regime of Saddam Hussein but did nothing to stop them.

The scale of the shipments involved dwarfs those previously alleged by the Senate committee against United Nations staff and European politicians such as the anti-war British MP George Galloway and the former French interior minister Charles Pasqua.

In fact the Senate report found that US oil purchases accounted for 52 per cent of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together.

Also here at The Guardian: US 'backed illegal Iraqi oil deals'

That make the US, UN & Iraq thread yet? Or any of the assorted the-UN-is-discredited-forever-because-of-Oil-for-Food threads?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:11 pm
From The Times:

Galloway v the US Senate: transcript of statement
0 Replies