Muslims stage anti-US rallies over Koran abuse report

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:11 pm
So, what is happening now? Are they issuing a new fatwa? What is this about?

Quote:
International anti-US protest day to be observed on May 27

ISLAMABAD, May 15 (Xinhuanet) -- Islamic groups will hold demonstrations on May 27 across the Muslim world to condemn the desecration of Holy Quran in the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay, head of Pakistani Islamic groups said here Sunday.

"The American soldiers are known to disregard other religions and the international protest day would be Muslim unity against this condemnable act," Qazi Hussain Ahmed, head of six-Islamic parties, the Mutahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) told a press conference in Islamabad.

Hussain said that 25 Islamic groups including Akhwan ul-Muslimoon of Egypt have been contacted and most of them have positively responded.

He said the Muslim community in Britain has been contacted and they will also join the protest day.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-05/15/content_2961435.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:25 pm
I'm gonna guess this gets filed under "Whatever happened to ... "
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:28 pm
pardon?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:32 pm
What is odd is that I, for one, have read about desecration of the Koran by interrogators in Guantanamo previously.

If I did, the stories must have been about for ages - why the reaction now?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:36 pm
The timing has come up in a couple of articles as being of interest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:38 pm
Do you recall the sources for the stories, Miss Wabbit?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:38 pm
Wasn't Karzai about to visit Washington or something?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:39 pm
That would be interesting. It might also be worthwhile to investigate whether or nor the date May 27th has any special significance in the Muslim community.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:44 pm
I knew I had read about this:

Quote:
Bush to Host Karzai for First Time

The Associated Press
Thursday, May 12, 2005; 2:43 PM

WASHINGTON -- President Bush will host several foreign leaders at the White House this month, including his first visit with Afghan President Hamid Karzai since last fall.

Bush will host former South African President Nelson Mandela next Tuesday; Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazief on Wednesday; and Denmark's prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, on May 20.

Karzai and Bush are scheduled to meet on May 23, for the first time since the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York City last September

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/12/AR2005051200933.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:46 pm
Well, that meeting is scheduled for a week from tomorrow, so one might wonder if Mr. Karzai is not due back in Afghanistan on May 27th.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:49 pm
Sadly, I DON'T recall where.

I graze in many pastures.

I was surprised when it was seen as so new - Newsweek itself said the story had been around for some time, but they felt there was better evidence this time.

I don't know that I would consider Newsweek to have any stature that any of my usual sources don't....
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:49 pm
True, but the original 3-days ultimatum by the Afghan clerics to hand over the perpetrators would run out on Wednesday 18....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:54 pm
Karzai was here last year...?

In Congress.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:04 pm
Lash wrote:

In Congress.

uhm.... relevance?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:28 pm
dlowan wrote:
I don't know that I would consider Newsweek to have any stature that any of my usual sources don't....

Newsweek annoys the livin' **** out of me, for reasons which have nothing to do with its low journalistic standards. I used to conribute to my local public radio station three times a year--$400 to $600 per annum. They would offer "premiums," gifts as incentives to donate. I would take the premiums, but i always told them not to sign me up for the magazine subscriptions, as i did not want them cluttering up my mailbox. They did so anyway--which means that each year, i got three annual subscriptions to Newsweek. I have not contributed for several years now, but that nasty rag clogs my mailbox to this day.

I have concieved a pathological hatred for Newsweek.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:31 pm
Yeah? I never look at it - so I have no sense of its quality.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:32 pm
dlowan wrote:
Yeah? I never look at it - so I have no sense of its quality.

The editorial staff and publishers haven't either . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:33 pm
old europe wrote:
Lash wrote:

In Congress.

uhm.... relevance?

Um, the truth?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:36 pm
Methinks thou doest protest too much, Setanta. Newsweek is no worse than Time or US News and World Report or any of the other "mainstream", mass circulation news magazines. A tad more reliable than Time, in my opinion, slightly less right of center than USN&WR. You're just pissed 'cuz your mailbox gets stuffed. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:38 pm
Yeah, and they used to stuff it with Time as well, but then the radio station stopped offering that. The only quotidian or hebdomadaire journals to which i pay any attention are The New York Times and The New York Times Sunday Magazine. The rest of them are not fit for wiping my . . . well, you know what i mean, Charmin is so much softer.
0 Replies