Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:08 pm
Lash wrote:
old europe wrote:
Lash wrote:
Karzai was here last year...?

In Congress.

uhm.... relevance?

Um, the truth?

Okay, Lash. So you doubt the source that Karzai is about to visit Washington on the 23rd of May. That's what you're saying, right?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:15 pm
I believe this goes to the point Lash was making:

Quote:
Gray Lady spikes Karzai story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 19, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Perception versus reality - it's a point that needs to be made until the cows come home.

Did you know that on Tuesday of this week Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan, addressed a joint session of Congress? Did you know that not one word of that address, nor even any mention that the event even occurred, appeared in the following day's national edition of the New York Times?

Aside from a photograph of President Bush and Mr. Karzai on its front page, and a caption mentioning that the two had a news conference in the Rose Garden, the June 16 edition of the New York Times contains not a single word about what Mr. Karzai said to Congress, to Bush or to the American people.

Why the cover up?

Here is the text of Mr. Karzai's address to Congress. If you actually click on that link, you'll find that you must pay a subscription fee to read the full text of the speech. That link, by the way, was only one of three links on Google News regarding Karzai's appearance before Congress. The other two were this abbreviated AP wire story and this pitiful UPI wire story. (Editor's note: Karzai's speech in full is posted at Foxnews.com.)

I could not find any coverage in print of the long list of issues President Karzai took special care to raise about the progress in Afghanistan - 30 percent growth in the Afghan economy, dramatic progress in the country's infrastructure, schools, health-care system and most important, in Karzai's view, the outstanding progress the country has made in restoring basic civil rights to women.

How did I learn all of this? I just happened to catch Fox News's live coverage of the president's press conference; otherwise, I would never have known about Karzai's address to Congress. And I consider myself a news junky!

The New York Times' treatment of Karzai's visit is not the tip of the iceberg - it's the larger part of the iceberg, the part beneath the water that the public never gets to see.

Also lying beneath the surface, virtually unseen, is one of the greatest economic booms we've seen in 30 years. But a recent poll shows just how that reality has diverged from public perception of reality. According to a recent survey sponsored by the Associated Press, 57 percent of the public believe the nation has lost jobs in the last six months. That's the perception. What's the reality? Exactly the opposite! During the last six months, the economy generated nearly 1.2 million new jobs.

How could the American people be so misinformed?

The Times typically relegates good economic news to the inside of its business section, almost always using a wire story, rarely assigning any of its own reporters. They made an exception when the extraordinarily strong May payroll numbers came in: The story appeared on the front page, but only under a one-column headline.

Compare that to the four-column headline appearing Thursday, "Panel Finds No Qaida-Iraq Tie," a story which is being widely criticized as a complete distortion of the facts. The Bush administration never claimed that Iraq was directly involved in the 9-11 attacks, but there were "clear ties" - not "no ties" - between al-Qaida and Iraq before we took military action against Saddam Hussein. The Times reported the exact opposite of the truth in its banner headline.

How could the American people be so misinformed?

It's a question that the New York Times and editorial boards across this country have a responsibility to ask themselves. Where is Times's public editor, Daniel Okrent, when you need him?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:17 pm
Damn straight.

It was buried.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:19 pm
Timber, if you're going to tell me that Karzai adressed Congress on Tuesday June 15, 2004 I'm going to take your word for it.

I can't see the relevance re issue at hand, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:21 pm
It does seem awfully loony to point out that Karzai addressed the Congress a year ago. So what, what has that to do with the discussion here?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:21 pm
Neither could the NYT, its ilk, and their fans. That is the point.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:22 pm
I noticed the headline on one of the cut and pastes. Bush Hosts Karzai for the First Time.

I was wondering why you were so rude.

The headline was in error.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:23 pm
So why not just drop the holy benison of your superior mind on these humble ilk and say what you mean?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:23 pm
Timber:

Karzai adressed Congress last year, and because of the fact that this wasn't mentioned in the media <logical connection> riots in Afghanistan now.

Fill in.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:24 pm
Lash wrote:
I noticed the headline on one of the cut and pastes. Bush Hosts Karzai for the First Time.

I was wondering why you were so rude.

The headline was in error.

okay. I concur.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:24 pm
Damned elitist effete intellectual conservatives!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:26 pm
There is no rudeness--you just want to constantly portray me in that manner because i am unwilling to quietly accept claptrap when i see it.

Neither of you are making the least bit of sense here. Keep your "ilk" comments to yourself Big Bird, they are not helping the discussion.

What has Karzai's visit last year to do with a visit now? Why would anyone care whether or not Karzai is meeting the Shrub for the first time, in the context of examining the timing of these anti-American demonstrations?

OK, so Karzai is not meeting the Shrub for the first time. What possible relevance does that have to the timing of these demonstrations?

OE and i were simply wondering about and speculating about the timing of these demonstrations. Got anything useful to add?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:27 pm
Even having read the posted stuff - what has that to do with the timing of the riots? Which is the question being asked.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:31 pm
Ah - was it as I first thought, that the fact that it was the second time limit the likelihood that the riots were triggered by the visit? Why the mystery? Over a dumb error?

Anyhoo - I thought everyone knew it was the second time - it was mightily splashed around last time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:33 pm
i see no special reason to think it WAS the visit - but I also do not see that it being the second time means it ISN'T.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:36 pm
To go to the point of the timing of the current flap, I should be unsurprised should history reveal this to be the time of the beginning of Jihadists' last-ditch, desperate, dying efforts. The Newsweek article just happened to be convenient tinder.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:38 pm
I think you're indulging in a good deal of wishful thinking there, Big Bird. I would like to believe that this is the last stand of the mujahadin, as well. However, a sound principle of military planning, one which the Rummy apparently never understood, is to prepare for the best outcome, while planning for disaster.

As long as our military folks don't automatically assume that the enemy is about to roll over we'll be fine. We dare not count them out until the last one has been buried.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:40 pm
ah, dlowan, I read somewhere that the extremist clerics might have picked the time of Karzai's visit to the US on May 23rd to stage these riots of that alleged Koran incident. The timing would seem somehow plausible. Afghan clerics announced a 3-day deadline this morning in order for the US to hand over the responsible persons for punishment, and later today May 27th was announced as "International anti-US protest day".

From the point of view of those radicals, Karzai's visit might just be further proof that he is collaborating with those "evil United States", and the riots may even gain momentum. That's why I posted the stuff about the Karzai Washington visit in the first place.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:46 pm
God of all knowledge and thread references--

There damn well was rudeness, and astonishing though it is, I wasn't talking to you.

I believe I'll say what I Goddamn well please. At least know it is you being spoken to before bloating forth with more insufferable waste!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:48 pm
Perhaps, as Winnie said, Set, "This is not the end, nor even is it the beginning of the end. But it is the end of the beginning". I dunno - I do think it likely the jihadists are nowhere near finished, but do sense impending, inevitable doom. Desperation leads to desperate measures, and a desperate enemy may be counted upon for same. This certainly is no time for lessened vigilance.
0 Replies