Then there was one...... Shocked
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
Nobody's home.
0 Replies

falcon friend

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:17 pm
Are there falcon people on the ground keeping track of the birds as they fledge, making sure they didn't fledge to the ground or water?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:54 am
I'm not sure. The frustrating thing about this camera site is that there isn't a contact to make contact with. The last "news" was about the banding.

They seem to have flown. I'm going to check the local media for reports of young falcons.

Joe(Thanks for watching)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Kids....they gain maturity, take off, and leave the old folks to dither.

I've enjoyed the thread, Joe.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
Me, too.

<SIGH>
0 Replies

catmum

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
55 Water street peregrines
After searching and asking around on other forums, I found out that one of the eyases was knocked off the ledge by his sibling flapping, fell into traffic and was killed. The rest of them fledged the next day. I have no word on whether anyone is watching out for them, other than the parents normally continue to feed them for a few weeks (if they survive the usual hazards with buildings etc.
0 Replies

falcon friend

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:04 am
I'm so sorry to hear about the eyas who was killed. Natural selection is brutal. The falcon forum for the San Francisco birds is terrific - the falcon organization posts field updates several times each day, as well as photos of the eyasses as they fine-tune their flight and landing skills. This site has a great cameras but the complete and continuing lack of info is frustrating.

My understanding is that the three survivors will stay in the area for about a month, being fed by the parents. There will be some amazing aerial displays as they play - practicing hunting by using each other as targets. When they can hunt on their own, they will disperse and seek out their own territories and, in a few years, find their own mates.

Thank you for answering my questions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:12 pm
They're gone already? Didn't they just learn to fly? Wow, don't they grow up so fast? <grin>
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:32 pm
Catmun: Welcome! What forum???
0 Replies

Sue in Syracuse

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
I can tell you that I have a couple of forums that I have been reading news about 55 Water St. on. One is the Kodak/Rochester - http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=KLQ1X25VFEUO1FW4FBBHWEEW1YUEK4L4?pq-path=2017&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=6328

The other is the falcon focus message board -
http://www.greentreks.org/falcon/messageboards/default.asp

But, I also saw a story about the many falcons in NYC in the NY Post Metro edition on June 8th, page 29. The talked about th many pairs of falcons in NYC and that one of the males had "fledged" too early and fell onto FDR and was hit by a car.

I was watching the night (Sunday, June 5th) it happened. There were two of the males very close to each other on the edge of the nest, one of them flapped his wings and jostled his brother off the ledge. Down he went. A little while later, we saw cars stopped with flashers on and people walking around. We knew the worst had happened. It was very sad because our family has watched since before the eggs hatched and were waiting for them all to find their wings. Unfortunately, it just came a little too soon for this guy. His brothers had all fledged by Wednesday morning.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 04:31 am
Thank you so much, Sue, and welcome to A2K. I was glad to see someone on the greentreks taking the 55NYC site to task for not keeping up with the news. These two sites are great. Thanks again.

Joe(see? other people are nuts about falcons too.)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:01 pm
How could you not be nuts about falcons? Particularly urban falcons who contribute respectable wildness to the city.

Sue in Syracuse--

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Sue in Syracuse

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 05:36 pm
Thanks for the welcome
Here in Syracuse, we also have a family of falcons. Our parents, Fancy and Groucho, had 4 females this year. We have a webcam at www.usadatanet.com. Go down to the lower right corner of the web page and click on the Falcon Cam link. There is very little activity at the nest box right now because the girls fledged about 2 weeks ago. I have been on fledge watch and as of tonight (7/9/05), everyone is safe and sound. There have been a lot of talon tag games and "tag-you're-it" and Mom likes to play catch with the bird du jour.

And yes, Joe...others are nuts about falcons! LOL
0 Replies