Bolton and the UN

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:41 am
Quote:
A Senate panel is to vote Thursday on President Bush's nominee to be U.N. ambassador, John Bolton, three weeks after questions about his fitness for the job delayed committee action.

Source

Quote:
Bolton drew fire from Democrats in 1994 when he said at a Federalist Society forum that "there is no such thing as the United Nations."

Source

Seems like a hardliner who has openly opposed the UN.
Is this is sole purpose in the appointment?

Quote:
"John Bolton is one who will not suffer wastefulness, is one who is going to scrutinize the spending at the United Nations," Senator Allen says. "We as taxpayers in this country pay 439 million dollars a year, which is 22 percent of the United Nations budget. I want someone who is going to be a watchdog, to reform them, to make sure they do not have these scandals like the oil-for-food scandal that was propping up Saddam Hussein's regime."

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,895 • Replies: 151
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:23 am
He is the worst man for the job. Therefore the Busheviks are sure to get him in.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:26 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
He is the worst man for the job. Therefore the Busheviks are sure to get him in.

Why? The last thing we need is anoth UN "lackey".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:29 am
If the UN is behaving in a way that we consider incompetent and/or unhelpful to us, our smart next move would be to send over someone who will agressively promote our interests.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:58 am
Why?

It won't get anything more done if the man cannot work well with others. It will only make us look like blowhards and fools.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:00 am
a bit of a bumpy ride

Quote:
US Republican denounces Bolton in UN debate
By FT Reporters
Published: May 12 2005 16:35 | Last updated: May 12 2005 16:35

Republican George Voinovich of Ohio made clear in blunt words his opposition to the appointment of John Bolton as US ambassador to the United Nations, saying Mr Bolton was "the poster child of what someone in the UN diplomatic corps should not be".

But he said the vote on the nomination should go through to the full floor of Senate without a recommendation from the Senate foreign relations committee. The move means that the Republicans would lack sufficient votes to take the nomination to the floor with an endorsement.

"The United States can do better than John Bolton," Mr Voinovich said. He had "serious deficiencies in areas needed for the job." He added: "I like Mr Bolton. I think he is a decent guy, but I really don't believe he is the best man for the US to send to the UN."

Mr Voinovich quoted to the committee, on the final day of its debate on the nomination, remarks made by Larry Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Colin Powell, who said Mr Bolton would make an "abysmal" ambassador. He also repeated claims that Mr Bolton was someone who "fosters an atmosphere of intimidation" among co-workers. "He does not tolerate dissent," Mr Voinovich said. But the committee owed it to President George W. Bush to allow his nomination to go the the floor, he said.

Democrats on the committee were making their final attempt to persuade their Republican colleagues to block the nomination.

The debate has become one of the most abrasive battles during President George W. Bush's second term. But the stakes are high for a president who claimed that his re-election gave him political capital to spend.

link
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:06 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
If the UN is behaving in a way that we consider incompetent and/or unhelpful to us, our smart next move would be to send over someone who will agressively promote our interests.

There is a difference between aggressive diplomacy and just plain aggressive.

Ordering other countries to behave a certain way or else doesn't get you very far. Eventually you find yourself in the position of no power to order them to do anything.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:08 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why?

It won't get anything more done if the man cannot work well with others. It will only make us look like blowhards and fools.

Cycloptichorn

You are correct, however, I am convinced his "attitude" is being overblown/exagerated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:10 am
I dunno. This is the guy, after all, who has said things in the past like 'there should be no UN.'

I mean, he's got a right to his opinion and all, but that hardly makes him the man for this particular job, yaknow. Oh well, we all know how Bushco. works:

(in this order)
Loyatly to Cheney/Rove
Loyalty to Party
Loyalty to Money
Loyalty to America

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:13 am
From what I gather from news reports Bolton tended to be the office SOB. So a lot of people are using this as an opportunity for some payback. I suspect he will be confirmed, but if he has any brains and insight he will regard this as a personal learning experience.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:16 am
Yes, Bolton is opinionated. I am glad to see it go to a vote and will support whatever decision is made. If he is as is described, he won't last long and our standing in the UN could not be hurt worse than it already is.

If he is a "watchdog" type, maybe it will help clean our some more of the corruption in the UN that we all know is going on.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:25 am
the "bolton affair" is really causing the ultra-right to show it's stripes.

where as it's been 10 years of right wingers complaining about "liberals", today i had to chuckle when, on msnbc's "connected" regarding the emerging republican resistance to bolton, gop strategist jack burkman referred to voinovich and others as "these moderates"... said it in the same disdainful way the ultras say "libb-urr-ulllzzz".

so i guess some republicans just aren't republican enough for some of these whackos...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:29 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I dunno. This is the guy, after all, who has said things in the past like 'there should be no UN.'

I mean, he's got a right to his opinion and all, but that hardly makes him the man for this particular job, yaknow. Oh well, we all know how Bushco. works:

(in this order)
Loyatly to Cheney/Rove
Loyalty to Party
Loyalty to Money
Loyalty to America

Cycloptichorn

oh cyclo, you're just being cynical. just because bolton sat there in florida representing baker's representation of cheney's, uh, i mean, bush's bid for president during the scrutinizing of the chads, you seem to think there's something fishy goin' on. Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:36 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

where as it's been 10 years of right wingers complaining about "liberals", today i had to chuckle when, on msnbc's "connected" regarding the emerging republican resistance to bolton, gop strategist jack burkman referred to voinovich and others as "these moderates"... said it in the same disdainful way the ultras say "libb-urr-ulllzzz".

so i guess some republicans just aren't republican enough for some of these whackos...

No, McG would contend that they just don't understand compassionate conservatism, and are therefore not really conservatives at all.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 12:40 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
From what I gather from news reports Bolton tended to be the office SOB. So a lot of people are using this as an opportunity for some payback. I suspect he will be confirmed, but if he has any brains and insight he will regard this as a personal learning experience.

yes, if only. His ego and his pathological need to bully in order to bolster his own weak self esteem will win out over his intellect though. And I say that not because I have intimate knowledge of John Bolton but out of the knowledge of the pathology of bullies. They are one of natures most pathetic creatures. They are also bundled together and running this country currently, more's the pity.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:01 pm
woiyo wrote:
You are correct, however, I am convinced his "attitude" is being overblown/exagerated.

Being exaggerated by the Republicans? Interesting.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:23 pm
ehBeth wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Being exaggerated by the Republicans? Interesting.

Who made any statement about WHO is exagerating?

Try some objective analysis instead of your partisen BS.

Rolling Eyes
Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:24 pm
Woiyo,

Given how the UN works, what makes you think having an opinionated bully on board is going to help ANYTHING?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
Who made any statement about WHO is exagerating?

Try some objective analysis instead of your partisen BS.

Rolling Eyes
Have a nice day.

I linked an article where several Republicans' views of Bolton, and his attitude, were quoted. You stated that you were convinced that his "attitude" was being overblown. No analysis required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of your post was simply rude and not appropriate to a debate forum like this one. This is not westcoastBuzz.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 03:17 pm
candidone1 wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

No, McG would contend that they just don't understand compassionate conservatism, and are therefore not really conservatives at all.

yeah, that chuck hagle is a really an undercover operator for the liberal elite...

he better knock it off. he's got a bronze star and 2 p.h.s from vietnam. rove could come after him at any time...
0 Replies