Who is a terrorist?

blatham

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Our Mr. Mountie wrote:
. . . the attack on the Pentagon wouldn't be terrorism, but simply a pedestrian act of war?

Hardly pedestrian, but an act of war, nevertheless, which, in my never humble opinion, does not constitute terrorism--unless one is concerned that military staff were terrorized, in which case it is appropriate to question their fitness to serve. The civilians killed in the attack of the Pentagon would constitute what the military is please to describe as collateral damage. That tragic consequence of the attack, however, is definitely a case of "lie down with the dogs, get up with fleas."

Yes, I think so. The more one looks at the term 'terrorist' or reflects upon the jingoist nature of most cases of usage, the less helpful the word seems to become.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:00 am
blatham wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Blatham: I assume your last post was directed at Brandon? If you do feel I'm not consistent, please be so kind as to point out the basis for your view, and I'll try and correct your misunderstanding.

tico

Sorry, wasn't sure how you'd come out on that one. Normally, your consistency is pretty dependable but you've probably used the phrase 'obstructionist democrats' and thus, clearly, the consistency isn't absolute.

I've referred to the "'do nothing' democrats." Perhaps that is what you're thinking of? And I'm pretty sure my thinking on that issue has been consistent.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:20 pm
Oh, a misunderstanding. "Consistency" didn't refer to unchanging or unchangeable viewpoint but rather to logic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Not, of course, that I mean to imply that you are a misologist out of anything other than partisan membership...nothing innate.
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:37 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
The fact that you can't seem to make a moral distinction between the actions of the US, and the actions of the islamo-terrorists, is evident, ... but it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Well? Why don't you point out for us what the distinction is?

In real terms, we've killed many, many, many more innocents then they have. Many more.

I'm sure you will respond with 'purposes, intentions, reasoning' type of answer; but that's bullshit, it's all a POV. The dead are still dead.

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo, "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level" :wink:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:05 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
I absolutely do not define terrorists as "the other guy." I define them as anybody who targets non-combatants as the primary, intended target.

It did take you a while to include Rudolph within the class of 'terrorist'. I'm not certain Tico will allow himself to be consistent here, but he may. I know that I am affected by this tendency. A group of caucasians in, say, eastern europe, killed in some natural disaster will affect me more than if I read about the same event happening in Micronesia or Central Africa. Understanding the tendency in myself, I can stretch a little further and work to apply my own ethical considerations more consistently and inclusively than I would do otherwise.

Quote:
As for the strike on Noriega, the only thing which is relevant to the characterization of an act as terrorism is (a) who the intended targets were, and (b) the degre of effort that went into minimizing civlian casualties. If an army makes an effort to attack enemy soldiers, and if, unfortunately, more civilian are killed than were expected, that does not even begin to qualify as terrorism. Now strapping a nail bomb on your waist and detonating yourself in a marketplace, or throwing and old crippled man in a wheel chair over the side of a ship because he's a Jew (Leon Klinghoffer) - that's terrorism.

But what 'degree of effort' is adequate to meet your criterion?

The intention not to injure bystanders should be a serious criterion of the plan. Don't ask me what "serious" means. These words all have accepted meanings, and I won't play this game about definitions much farther.

blatham wrote:
And how would you know such a degree of effort was in fact applied? Surely the politicians or military will insist they were careful regardless, so that's not very helpful.

I might not know. So what? Some will have actually tried to minimize civilian casualties, and some will not have tried, regardless of what they claim.

blatham wrote:
But let's stick with your framework here. Wouldn't it follow that though the attack on the WTC was terrorism, being a civilian location, that the attack on the Pentagon wouldn't be terrorism, but simply a pedestrian act of war?

That has certainly always been my opinion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:22 am
Quote:
The intention not to injure bystanders should be a serious criterion of the plan. Don't ask me what "serious" means. These words all have accepted meanings, and I won't play this game about definitions much farther.

Defining the terms of a discussion is the necessary first step in speaking and thinking in a sensible way. When the topic is war - which is going to result in the death and mutilation of thousands or many thousands, drain coffers, and have political repercussions which may well lead to even more of the same - then perhaps we ought to go to the bother of making damned sure we are thinking clearly and that we are insisting others do as well, particularly our leaders if they push towards war.

One clear advantage - if sometimes uncomfortable in consequence - is that once we have defined such a term as 'terrorism' we force ourselves to think in a logically and morally consistent manner. Rudolph's targets in the Atlanta bombing were entirely innocent bystanders, thus he's guilty of a terrorist act. The men who flew the plane into the Pentagon, though killing the innocent civilians on the plane and some on the ground, had a strategic military target and thus, using your definitions, are less guilty of 'terrorism' than Rudolph. That seems a counter-intuitive conclusion and many would head back and start redefining the term 'terrorism' to avoid the emotional discomfort this conclusion would engender. But it is a logically and morally sensible conclusion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:16 am
Quote:
Man who tried to kill Castro is in hiding and waiting on Bush
By Phil Davison
15 May 2005

Is he an international terrorist - or a patriotic freedom fighter? At the age of 77, Cuban-born Luis Posada Carriles may seem a bit old to be either. But he certainly was one or the other for most of his life, dedicated to getting rid of Cuban leader Fidel Castro.

How to classify the former CIA agent, convicted in the past of trying to assassinate Mr Castro and of killing 73 civilians by bombing a Cuban airliner, is proving a major dilemma for George Bush. The outcome could affect the President's credibility in his proclaimed war on terrorism...His Miami lawyer, Eduardo Soto, says he should be granted political asylum in the US "because of his service to the country" while working for the CIA in the 1960s and '70s.
. http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=638521

Now here is a very tricky problem for Bush and his administration and how he/they might define terrorism and terrorist. But I'm sure that they will, in such an important matter, take a principled stance, ignoring the considerable vote considerations and their ideas about Castro, and speedily label the fellow a terrorist and bring him to justice after, of course, torturing him at Gitmo for three or four years. Are we all agreed?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
Our Mr. Mountie wrote:
. . . the attack on the Pentagon wouldn't be terrorism, but simply a pedestrian act of war?

Hardly pedestrian, but an act of war, nevertheless, which, in my never humble opinion, does not constitute terrorism--unless one is concerned that military staff were terrorized, in which case it is appropriate to question their fitness to serve. The civilians killed in the attack of the Pentagon would constitute what the military is please to describe as collateral damage. That tragic consequence of the attack, however, is definitely a case of "lie down with the dogs, get up with fleas."

Now compare this to your contention that you find no fault with the American military. I prefer to believe your calling me a "clown" was a term of endearment, however I doubt I would have been so forgiving if you called me a "dog." (not the least reason being the nature of your avatar)

Being a clown, it's sometimes difficult for me to follow the logic of such an exalted pooch as yourself, so please help me:

How is it meaningful to catergorize the attack on the Pentagon as an Act of War, when it was clearly and inextricably part of an overall adventure that featured the destruction of two office buildings occupied by hundreds of thousands of civilians?

Assuming that the forth plane was, in fact, headed for the White House or the Capital, would that have been another of your Acts of War?

This entire debate is so much crap because it is clear to anyone with any sense that the 9/11 attacks were terrorism.

Any argument that the US might be or have been engaged in similar attacks has nothing to do with the nature of the 9/11 attacks. If you wishes to argue that the US is guilty of terrorist attacks, why not come out and say it, and while you're at it, give us chapter and verse. Likewise, if you want to argue that because the US has engaged in terrorists acts that it doesn't occupy any particular moral highground when it comes to 9/11, come out with it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:31 pm
Act of War:
Pretext for war. The September 11th attacks were hastily labelled an act of war by the U.S. administration, contrary to common sense, which tells us it was a horrible crime. At the time, and still, there was not evidence of state sponsorship. It is now clear that the strategy was to "declare war now and figure out who to bomb later".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:
Pretext for war. The September 11th attacks were hastily labelled an act of war by the U.S. administration, contrary to common sense, which tells us it was a horrible crime. At the time, and still, there was not evidence of state sponsorship. It is now clear that the strategy was to "declare war now and figure out who to bomb later".

Interesting.

On the one hand there is criticism of the Adminstration for labelling 9/11 terrorism and on the other criticism for labelling it an Act of War
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:57 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:

Whatever the semantics, Al Qaeda clearly poses an ongoing threat, which has the capacity to do things even worse than 9/11. Clearly, we need to pursue them in the world rather than wait for their next attack. A strategy which is solely defensive can never work. Any government which harbors Al Qaeda is our enemy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:17 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:

Interesting.

On the one hand there is criticism of the Adminstration for labelling 9/11 terrorism and on the other criticism for labelling it an Act of War

I only read the criticism for labelling it an Act of War. Terrorism does not have to be tied to state sponsorship.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:20 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:

Whatever the semantics, Al Qaeda clearly poses an ongoing threat, which has the capacity to do things even worse than 9/11. Clearly, we need to pursue them in the world rather than wait for their next attack. A strategy which is solely defensive can never work. Any government which harbors Al Qaeda is our enemy.

Finally! I do not disagree with you here Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:49 pm
"I'm not really sure how to exactly define 'terrorism' but I darned well know it when I see it."

finn, brandon

Is Carilles properly to be considered a terrorist by the Bush administration?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:13 pm
So, in America, here is the real 'terrorist' problem, bunnyrabbit rescue squads...
Quote:
Terrorism by Activist Extremists Rising

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 18, 2005
Filed at 6:18 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Environmental and animal rights activists who have turned to arson and explosives are the nation's top domestic terrorism threat, an FBI official told a Senate committee on Wednesday.

Groups such as the Animal Liberation Front, the Earth Liberation Front and Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty are ''way out in front'' in terms of damage and number of crimes, said John Lewis, the FBI's deputy assistant director for counterterrorism.

''There is nothing else going on in this country over the last several years that is racking up the high number of violent crimes and terrorist actions,'' Lewis said.

ALF says on its Web site that its small, autonomous groups of people take ''direct action'' against animal abuse by rescuing animals and causing financial loss to animal exploiters, usually through damage and destruction of property. ELF is an underground movement with no public leadership, membership or spokesperson.

The British-based SHAC describes itself as a worldwide campaign since 1999 to rescue animals tortured in research labs and shut down the businesses that rely on their use. It says it ''does not encourage or incite illegal activity.''

Lewis said the FBI concluded that after analyzing all types of cases and comparing the groups with ''right-wing extremists, KKK, anti-abortion groups and the like.'' He said most animal rights and eco-extremists so far have refrained from violence targeting human life.

''The FBI has observed troubling signs that this is changing. We have seen an escalation in violent rhetoric and tactics,'' he told the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. ''Attacks are also growing in frequency and size.''
0 Replies

puglia

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:37 pm
Terrorist:

One who uses fear as a weapon to gain control.

Simple.

A conservative is what replublicans were calling Democrats less than one hundred years ago.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:55 am
puglia wrote:
Terrorist:

One who uses fear as a weapon to gain control.

Simple.

A conservative is what replublicans were calling Democrats less than one hundred years ago.

How tables turn, eh?

I wonder, though, would this man be considered a terrorist:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4561751.stm?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:23 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:

Interesting.

I only read the criticism for labelling it an Act of War. Terrorism does not have to be tied to state sponsorship.

Indeed.

I am confused. You only read or you only advanced the crticism...?

Was your cited post an expression of your own belief or someone else's?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:24 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Act of War:

Interesting.

Indeed.

I am confused. You only read or you only advanced the crticism...?

Was your cited post an expression of your own belief or someone else's?
0 Replies