Who is a terrorist?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:55 pm
It's still here; you just aren't funny in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Hm... W isn't a New England WASP and al Qaeda doesn't exist? I still don't get it. Are you joking?

<scratches head>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:00 pm
Hey, you are always entitled to your opinion. Doesn't matter if you are right of wrong. Perhaps a couple "yo mamma" jokes might change your mind?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:02 pm
Well, you HAVE been funny in the past, so I'm not saying that you CAN'T be funny; just that you WEREN'T funny in that comment.

So I haven't given up hope on ya or anything

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:13 pm
old europe wrote:
Hm... W isn't a New England WASP and al Qaeda doesn't exist? I still don't get it. Are you joking?

<scratches head>

I am not sure if you are pretending to be dense or not, so let me explain...

I said "Alqaedia", not al Qaeda. As in the country of Alqaedia where a person calling themselves al Qaeda might be from. See the organization does not work like a country would so we do not have a hard target that we can just arbitrarily bomb. Al Qaeda operates within the bounds of many countries and International Law, the UN and alliances we have with many of those countries stop us from being able to carry out our war fully.

George Bush was born in Connecticut, but was raised in Texas. He worked in Texas. He raised his family in Texas. He was Governor of Texas. He owned the Texas Rangers. He served in the Texas Air National Guard.

The man is from Texas.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:

<scratches head>

I said "Alqaedia", not al Qaeda. As in the country of Alqaedia where a person calling themselves al Qaeda might be from. See the organization does not work like a country would so we do not have a hard target that we can just arbitrarily bomb. Al Qaeda operates within the bounds of many countries and International Law, the UN and alliances we have with many of those countries stop us from being able to carry out our war fully.

George Bush was born in Connecticut, but was raised in Texas. He worked in Texas. He raised his family in Texas. He was Governor of Texas. He owned the Texas Rangers. He served in the Texas Air National Guard.

The man is from Texas.

Good boy, McG, good boy.

Actually I agree with your Alqaedia statement, then. We just reach different conclusions, I guess.

re George:

Born in the lovely city of New Haven, CT, as far as I remember. Family seat Kennebunkport, Maine. Went to Yale University, later Harvard Business School. Just like every other Texan....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:20 pm
Quote:
said "Alqaedia", not al Qaeda. As in the country of Alqaedia where a person calling themselves al Qaeda might be from. See the organization does not work like a country would so we do not have a hard target that we can just arbitrarily bomb. Al Qaeda operates within the bounds of many countries and International Law, the UN and alliances we have with many of those countries stop us from being able to carry out our war fully.

Tough Sh!t! That doesn't mean we can go around breaking the law willy-nilly with no regard for the consequences.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:26 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
said "Alqaedia", not al Qaeda. As in the country of Alqaedia where a person calling themselves al Qaeda might be from. See the organization does not work like a country would so we do not have a hard target that we can just arbitrarily bomb. Al Qaeda operates within the bounds of many countries and International Law, the UN and alliances we have with many of those countries stop us from being able to carry out our war fully.

Tough Sh!t! That doesn't mean we can go around breaking the law willy-nilly with no regard for the consequences.

Cycloptichorn

It also doesn't mean we abdicate our right of self preservation. We aren't required to wait for the UN to allow us to act in our best interests.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:40 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Thanks for your opinion that all killing is equivalent. I draw a distinction between the WW2 liberation of Paris and a serial killer who offs people for fun.

How come WWII is always brought up when people need an example for fighting a 'just war'? Because it was the last time that the US have declared war on another nation? After having had war declared on them, btw....

Your post is irrelevant. My point is that most people would regard some examples of killing to be far less ethical than others.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:56 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:

<scratches head>

The man is from Texas.

Al Qaeda and bin Laden were known to have been centralized in Afghanistan...even you know that.
Bush went guns-a-blazin' into Iraq chasing Saddam, when equal power could have been allocated to Afghanistan actually seeking out the perpetrators of 9/11.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
It also doesn't mean we abdicate our right of self preservation. We aren't required to wait for the UN to allow us to act in our best interests.

Yep, agree. But the UN doesn't. Every nation has the right to defend itself against an attack. Now you might wish to tell me: when exactly did Iraq attack the United States?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:01 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Your post is irrelevant. My point is that most people would regard some examples of killing to be far less ethical than others.

And other people would regard some other examples of killing to be far more ethical than others. If that was all you wanted to state, there you go. You're basically saying that you aren't above the terrorists' morals, you're just on the other side.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:13 pm
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Yep, agree. But the UN doesn't. Every nation has the right to defend itself against an attack. Now you might wish to tell me: when exactly did Iraq attack the United States?

You suggest we must wait for Iraq to attack the US. That is a view shared by our past President, and a good reason the terrorists grew stronger during the 90's - this failure to hold terrorist supporting states accountable. That is but one of many good reasons why Iraq was invaded ... but I've made this argument before, and you've heard it before, so we need not go into it here.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:29 pm
The root cause of terrorism is desparation, not inate malevolence.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:25 pm
Like oil?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:33 pm
like butter.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:48 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
A terrorist is someone who utilizes violence (as bombing) in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands.

Oh, you mean like ......
Shocked

Like oil!

My oops!

Trying to do this on my break and didn't notice how many pages had gone by!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:46 pm
Re: Who is a terrorist?
blatham wrote:
How we speak and how we think can fall victim to unreflected assumptions and prejudices. A swarthy dark-complexioned man who speaks an unintelligible language, and who dresses in clothing no one in Akron would wear, and who believes in a false/bad religion and who blows up buildings and people is (who would argue it?) a "terrorist".

Quote:
One Man's Survivalist is Another Man's Terrorist

As we pointed out back in March, the media have been of two minds when it comes to the matter of who to label a "terrorist."

Many things might fall under the label of "terror"; the U.S. State Department's 2001 annual review of global terrorism defines terrorism, in part, as "premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience."

In the case of recently captured bomber Eric Rudolph, the four bombs he detonated outside a gay bar, two women's clinics and at the Atlanta Olympic Games in the mid-to-late 1990s easily fall within these criteria. His goal was political and intended to influence an audience (he wanted Roe v. Wade overturned, and saw the Atlanta Games as the first step toward a "New World Order"), and the attacks were most definitely perpetrated against noncombatants by a non-state entity. The situation seems at least as clear-cut as many acts regularly labeled terrorism in the media.

In the coverage of his guilty plea to the bombing charges, however, many reporters have stopped short of labeling him a terrorist. The New York Times online never uses the word, in keeping with a story filed on Friday, in which the Times referred to Rudolph simply as a "anti-abortion crusader and former soldier."

Similarly, an AP story which led most of the early coverage this morning shies away from the "T" word, although Rudolph planned and executed a series of targeted bombings in which two people died and over 120 were wounded. For its part, a Reuters wire story also failed to call Rudolph anything other than a survivalist and a fugitive.

The AP doesn't always display this sort of reticence in labeling someone a terrorist. Today, another of their stories described three "terrorists" who were indicted on charges in Britain after plotting to attack the New York Stock Exchange and other financial institutions on the East Coast. The New York Times was also quick to label the three terrorists in their treatment of the story.

In the end, does it really matter if a paper or wire service uses the word "terrorist," as long as they get their facts straight? Not necessarily -- after all, such labels are always going to be somewhat subjective -- but it would be nice to see some consistency (at least within news organizations, if not within the press as a whole) in who is labeled as such, and who isn't. At a time when both the public and the government fret over the issue of terrorism, it would seem to behoove the media to know who, or what, they are talking about. After all, if the application of the word is arbitrary, it ceases to be meaningful.

--Paul McLeary
http://www.cjrdaily.org/archives/001443.asp

What is it with Leftists that they feel compelled to constantly remind us of homegrown terrorists?

That the US has had two recent examples of domestic miscreants inflicting death and destruction for political reasons somehow obviate the threat of Islamist terrorists?

How does the fact that two white anglo-saxon protestants were guilty of terrorism invalidate any fear (rational or otherwise) that Americans might harbor for towel headed Muslims?

Assuming I am afraid of anyone looking Middle Eastern whenever I enter an American airport, how does the uncontested existence of McVeigh or Rudolph work to mollify my concerns?

Perhaps your message is "Do not fear the swarthy alone," but I fail to see how it can possibly translate to "Do not fear the swarthy."

Clearly all who are swarthy should not be feared, but this is a realization that is in no way informed by McVeigh or Rudolph.

What is your effin point?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:19 am
Quote:

Quote:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:05 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

And other people would regard some other examples of killing to be far more ethical than others. If that was all you wanted to state, there you go. You're basically saying that you aren't above the terrorists' morals, you're just on the other side.

I had said that I draw "a moral distinction between the WW2 liberation of Paris and a serial killer who offs people for fun." Do you not draw a moral distinction between those two things?
0 Replies