Who is a terrorist?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:04 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Note that I said a terrorist is someone who attacks civilians as the primary intended target. There is a moral difference between attacking combatants and trying to minimize civilian casualties, vs. strapping a nail bomb to your waist and blowing yourself up in a discotheque. I define only the latter effort as being terrorism.

I thought the prime target of bin Laden was to end military presence of the US in the Middle East? So he's no terrorist, following your definition?

You are being overly obtuse today, are you doing that purposefully?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They would say that we attacked first.

We can play this game all day

Cycloptichorn

Not really. My criterion is attacking non-combatants.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:06 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Note that I said a terrorist is someone who attacks civilians as the primary intended target. There is a moral difference between attacking combatants and trying to minimize civilian casualties, vs. strapping a nail bomb to your waist and blowing yourself up in a discotheque. I define only the latter effort as being terrorism.

I thought the prime target of bin Laden was to end military presence of the US in the Middle East? So he's no terrorist, following your definition?

He is a terrorist because he habitually choses non-combatants as his primary, intended target.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:07 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon
Quote:

Immaterial. THe people who are dead are just as dead no matter what moral justification you put on it.

It doesn't matter who your primary target is, you kill civilians, you are a murderer the same as a terrorist is.

Cycloptichorn

So, what do you believe? That if we left the terrorists alone they would suddenly stop killing people? The only way to stop them is to kill them, kill their suppliers and defuse the reasons they have for being terrorists. Make being a terrorist the worse thing possible. Show the children that being a terrorist is a one way street to death and eternal damnation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:07 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Our enemies do support war and killing so if you are to be realisitic, you must realize that in defending our selves, our country and our way of life we must use measures that sometimes inflict harm on the innocent as well as the guilty. Especially when the guilty hide amongst the innocent.

Funny. And I thought you would support war and killing....

Wait, let me have a look at what Brandon said not so long ago:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, waging a war in which 16,000 innocent people die in order to prevent millions of innocent from dying later is worth it,

Hmmm... sounds like a holy war. "I don't give a damn if thousands of innocent people die, because I believe we have the right to do it." And McG, "you must realize that in defending our selves, our country and our way of life we must use measures that sometimes inflict harm on the innocent as well as the guilty" sounds exactly like something bin Laden could have said.

You are no better than those you are pretending to fight.

When we make war, we do not attack civilians as the primary intended target. It isn't that hard to grasp.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon
Quote:

Immaterial. THe people who are dead are just as dead no matter what moral justification you put on it.

It doesn't matter who your primary target is, you kill civilians, you are a murderer the same as a terrorist is.

Cycloptichorn

Just as dead isn't the criterion. I draw a moral distinction between trying to kill civilians intentionally, and trying only to kill combatants but getting some civilians despite your best efforts not to. These are not morally equivalent.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Let me remind of one fact before you start that old "You're no better than they are" crap. "They" attacked first. "They" decided to wage war against the US.

They torture. They use weapons of mass destruction. They kill thousands of innocent civilians. But they did it first (?), so now we are allowed to do it, too.

Nice try. They started a war against the US. We will win that war. I don't particularly care how you, Cycloptichorn, or any other anti-war person feels about that fact.

Who is they?
How do you justify a they
They did not attack America! Have I been sleeping for the past 4 years? Are you talking about Iraq or Afghanistan?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:18 pm
Brandon

You hide behind your false moral lines. They do not exist, they are merely a hollow justification so that you can continue to support people who kill innocents without feeling bad about it.

The basis for all moral arguments against killing (not practical arguments, but moral ones) stems from 'thou shalt not kill.' It doesn't qualify that at all. Killing during wartime is a sin, it doesn't matter what your intentions are, it doesn't matter if it is habitual or once that you kill civilians, the person is dead all the same. You cannot change this fact; it is the one certainty in this whole argument.

McG
Quote:
So, what do you believe? That if we left the terrorists alone they would suddenly stop killing people? The only way to stop them is to kill them, kill their suppliers and defuse the reasons they have for being terrorists. Make being a terrorist the worse thing possible. Show the children that being a terrorist is a one way street to death and eternal damnation.

Here's a dialogue for you, from an elder Islaamist speaking to a recruit who is arguing that they should stop attacking America:

"So, what do you believe? That if we left the Americans alone they would suddenly stop killing people? The only way to stop them is to kill them, kill their suppliers and defuse the reasons they have for being Agressors. Make being an infidel the worse thing possible. Show the children that being an infidel American is a one way street to death and eternal damnation."

You are just like the people we are fighting against, and you don't even realize it!! It's precious!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon

You hide behind your false moral lines. They do not exist, they are merely a hollow justification so that you can continue to support people who kill innocents without feeling bad about it.

The basis for all moral arguments against killing (not practical arguments, but moral ones) stems from 'thou shalt not kill.' It doesn't qualify that at all. Killing during wartime is a sin, it doesn't matter what your intentions are, it doesn't matter if it is habitual or once that you kill civilians, the person is dead all the same. You cannot change this fact; it is the one certainty in this whole argument.....Cycloptichorn

Thanks for your opinion that all killing is equivalent. I draw a distinction between the WW2 liberation of Paris and a serial killer who offs people for fun.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:23 pm
You draw this distinction because it makes you much more comfortable to live your life that way; this doesn't make your distinction accurate in any way, however.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:26 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Thanks for your opinion that all killing is equivalent. I draw a distinction between the WW2 liberation of Paris and a serial killer who offs people for fun.

How come WWII is always brought up when people need an example for fighting a 'just war'? Because it was the last time that the US have declared war on another nation? After having had war declared on them, btw....
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:

"They" attacked first. "They" decided to wage war against the US.

The war began and is currently taking place in Iraq.
Correct?

When did "they" (meaning the Iraqis), under the control or advise of Saddam Hussein, attack "you"?

As I recall, al Qaeda bombed NYC, and the US immediately sought to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq.
The fact of the matter McG, is that Iraq did not attack you, hence the fact that it was called a "premptive strike".
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The basis for all moral arguments against killing (not practical arguments, but moral ones) stems from 'thou shalt not kill.' It doesn't qualify that at all. Killing during wartime is a sin, it doesn't matter what your intentions are, it doesn't matter if it is habitual or once that you kill civilians, the person is dead all the same. You cannot change this fact; it is the one certainty in this whole argument.

Not to nitpick here Cy, but the commandment you attempt to quote is "thou shalt not murder". Just want to see you get it right. :wink:
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:36 pm
6th Commandment; Verse 13: "Thou shalt not kill."

The Hebrew word "ratsach" is translated as "kill" in the King James Version, Revised Standard Version, American Standard Version, and some other translations of the Bible. However, it is difficult to apply this in practice. Killing chickens and beef cattle is legal now as it was in biblical times. Nobody today is concerned about pulling vegetables from the garden, even though it kills them. The word "ratsach" is commonly believed to describe the premeditated killing of a human. It requires that the victim be a human being. Many other translations translate "ratsach" as "murder" in this verse.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:36 pm
candidone1 wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

"They" attacked first. "They" decided to wage war against the US.

The war began and is currently taking place in Iraq.
Correct?

When did "they" (meaning the Iraqis), under the control or advise of Saddam Hussein, attack "you"?

As I recall, al Qaeda bombed NYC, and the US immediately sought to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq.
The fact of the matter McG, is that Iraq did not attack you, hence the fact that it was called a "premptive strike".

Alqaedia doesn't exist. The US declared war on global terrorism and made it quite clear who the enemy was. "They" are terrorists and the regimes that support, fund, and hide terrorists. I believe you know all this, so I will spare both of us the repeated reasons behind why we attacked Iraq as a portion of the US global war on terrorism.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:39 pm
I've seen both Kill and Murder as valid transalations through my various studies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:39 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Alqaedia doesn't exist.

At times I think you're just being weird on purpose, McG.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:48 pm
Wouldn't it have been much easier on everyone if it did exist? Wouldn't it be great if instead of pockets of religious extremists we had a country we could blame?

If Alqaedia did exist, we could have simply attacked that country and everything would have all been fine and dandy.

Instead, we have multiple cultures that allow terrorists to hide amongst the civilian populace and they get funds, weapons, ammo, and protection from the very people they will kill next week in the name of Allah.

I pity the innocent victims of this war, I really do. I wish we had an alternative to war. Why I bet "W" would kick the crap out of Bin Laden one-on-one, he's from Texas. But, that's not how it works.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:51 pm
W isn't, in fact, from Texas. Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
W isn't, in fact, from Texas. Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn

Sorry, I forgot you lost your sense of humor. I hope you find it someday.
0 Replies