Who is a terrorist?

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:05 am
Setanta wrote:
Collateral damage, what a wonderful euphemism.

I think the same thing when I hear the word "fetus."

Quote:
While i do not equate the actions of the United States military with Islamic terrorism, I do consider the likes of the Shrub and Rummy as no better than the Islamic terrorists, and they set the United States military in motion. The principle difference which i can see between the current administration and the Muslim extremists is that the latter are motivated by religious fanaticism, whereas the former simply use religious fanaticism as a tool to attain the venal ends of their wealthy cronies.

Funny ... I don't see it that way at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:09 am
That you do not see it that way is neither funny, nor a surprise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:10 am
By the way, you might refer to your strawman image when invoking the word "fetus" in a discussion of terrorism.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:14 am
finn
Quote:
I am also having trouble appreciating the relevance of the fact that the US has homegrown terrorists.

I might understand the relevance if there was reason to believe that the US government has been remiss in the prosecution of homegrown terrorists (particularly the right-wing variety) while spending American treasure and lives in the prosecution of Islamist terrorists.

Two points of relevance. The first is the one pointed out in the CJR article...that even the NY Times has never referred to Rudolph as a 'terrorist', other euphemistic terms have been used instead. That poses some very interesting questions. Second, as some recent coverage has revealed (not sure where I ran into this), many more Homeland Security dollars have been directed towards infiltration and investigation of American environmental groups than towards American rightwing groups such as spawned McVeigh. And that's interesting (and more than a few of us predicted it) because it points to the influence of large money in the adminstration of (if not the motivation for) some aspects of 'security' laws.

I'll take up your other stuff later.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:23 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Collateral damage, what a wonderful euphemism.

I think the same thing when I hear the word "fetus."

Quote:
While i do not equate the actions of the United States military with Islamic terrorism, I do consider the likes of the Shrub and Rummy as no better than the Islamic terrorists, and they set the United States military in motion. The principle difference which i can see between the current administration and the Muslim extremists is that the latter are motivated by religious fanaticism, whereas the former simply use religious fanaticism as a tool to attain the venal ends of their wealthy cronies.

Funny ... I don't see it that way at all.

Wilfull blindness is not something that one should parade about as often as you do, Tico.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:12 am
Setanta wrote:
That you do not see it that way is neither funny, nor a surprise.

I don't suppose it is.

Set wrote:
By the way, you might refer to your strawman image when invoking the word "fetus" in a discussion of terrorism.

I'm a little slow this morning (caffeine deficiency) ... perhaps you could explain how that is a strawman. It might be irrelevant, but it's not a strawman argument.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:13 am
In that it suggests that those whom you oppose in debate ought to consider the word "fetus" a euphemism when the topic is terrorism, it's effect is very much that of a strawman.

Think i'll go make some coffee as well, it's likely to be a long day . . .
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:20 am
Setanta wrote:
In that it suggests that those whom you oppose in debate ought to consider the word "fetus" a euphemism when the topic is terrorism, it's effect is very much that of a strawman.

Think i'll go make some coffee as well, it's likely to be a long day . . .

Oh. See I thought a strawman was when one ignores a someone's real position and instead substitutes a distorted version of that position.

Incidentally, whether you consider the word "fetus" a euphemism is of no concern of mine. I consider it a euphemism along the lines of you considering "collateral damage" a euphemism.

Let me know when the coffee's ready.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:22 am
I have a one-cup-at-a-time machine, so you'll need to wait just a bit longer . . .

That is an acceptable definition of a stawman, certainly, and i considered your insertion of the contention that fetus is a euphamism to be an attempt to suggest that those with whom you disagree on the subject of collateral damage are hypocrites who do not show an equal regard for a fetus, and were therefore attempting to set up a strawman.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:24 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I consider it a euphemism along the lines of you considering "collateral damage" a euphemism.

You don't think that "collateral damage" is a euphemism? What would you call it, then?

<sneaks off to get some coffee, too>
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:26 am
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I consider it a euphemism along the lines of you considering "collateral damage" a euphemism.

You don't think that "collateral damage" is a euphemism? What would you call it, then?

<sneaks off to get some coffee, too>

I think they are both euphemisms for dead people/babies.

Anyone have a 12 cup machine? One cup at a time isn't gonna cut it.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:28 am
Setanta wrote:
I have a one-cup-at-a-time machine, so you'll need to wait just a bit longer . . .

That is an acceptable definition of a stawman, certainly, and i considered your insertion of the contention that fetus is a euphamism to be an attempt to suggest that those with whom you disagree on the subject of collateral damage are hypocrites who do not show an equal regard for a fetus, and were therefore attempting to set up a strawman.

Okay, I was able to follow that (even without the coffee). Yes, that was my intent.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:36 am
Ticomaya wrote:

I think "collateral damage" is a euphemism, whereas "fetus" is a medical term. I'm sure I'm not mistaken on that one. On the other hand, I've got no clue what is considered PC in the States at the moment. Personally, I'd say I want every possible protection for unborn babies (aka the fetus), but I'm not inclined to take one of the radical sides in the "pro-life"/"pro-choice" discussion.

Ticomaya wrote:
Anyone have a 12 cup machine? One cup at a time isn't gonna cut it.....

I have an Italian espresso machine... Hmmm....

Do you really think "fetus" is an euphemisim?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:14 pm
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I think "collateral damage" is a euphemism, whereas "fetus" is a medical term. I'm sure I'm not mistaken on that one. On the other hand, I've got no clue what is considered PC in the States at the moment. Personally, I'd say I want every possible protection for unborn babies (aka the fetus), but I'm not inclined to take one of the radical sides in the "pro-life"/"pro-choice" discussion.

Fetus may be a medical term, but collateral damage is a military term. Regardless, they are both euphemisms; both intended to substitute for a more humanizing word.

In the case of fetus, the purpose of the use of the term is to try and dehumanize the unborn baby being killed by the abortionist -- the intended target of the abortion. In the case of collateral damage, the purpose is to dehumanize the unintended death/injury to civilians caused during war.

Regardless of your views on the subjects, we ought to be able to agree they are both euphemisms.

And yes, I really do think fetus is a euphemism. There is a reason the pro-abortion crowd steadfastly refers to an "aborted fetus" and not an "aborted baby."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:08 pm
The only problem with that position is that fetus was in wide-spread use decades before abortion became legal in this country. Euphemism in that case is in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
The only problem with that position is that fetus was in wide-spread use decades before abortion became legal in this country. Euphemism in that case is in the eye of the beholder.

I suppose the term collateral damage was first used after we invaded Iraq? In any event,the pro-abortion crowd has used the term fetus, regardless of its genesis, in an effort to dehumanize the babies killed by the abortionists.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:05 pm
George Bush
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:06 pm
Collateral damage is a fairly recent invention yes, certainly in comparison to fetus . . .

The American Heritage Dictionary of the American Language, Fourth Edition wrote:
Middle English, from Latin fētus, offspring.

So as to clear up any uncertainty, that same source defines middle English as: "The English language from about 1100 to 1500."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:07 pm
Good answer, Atkins . . . hope yer wearin' your bullet-proof shorts . . .
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:15 pm
I'm a fast runner.
0 Replies