Transgender Positivity Thread

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 07:01 am
I've noticed that every time I bring up trans issues on A2K - it always seems to be astoundingly negative. I find myself either talking about every day transphobia - or the effects of said transphobia.

Therefore I thought I'd create a thread just for 'good news' transgender stories, articles, as well as any personal moments of Gender Euphoria anyone wants to share.

So to start off:

Japan has elected its first transgender assemblywoman!

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/04/12/japan-elects-transgender-assemblywoman/

Her name is Ayako Fuchigami and won the seat for Sapporo in Hokkaido (known for its beer). This has been seen as a massive step forward for trans rights in Japan.

As a trans man, two days ago I got "thank you young man!" at a car boot sale. It lifted my spirits for the rest of the day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,864 • Replies: 26

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 07:13 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
Good luck, I see the bigots, of which there are plenty on A2K, have already voted this thread down.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 08:35 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
My nephew is transgendered. When he was young his parents dressed him like a typical girl and he rebelled. When he became a young teen and could express himself it was a big relief... like everything clicked for their family and finally made sense. Now he is a happy and handsome young man. Using the correct pronouns was difficult for a little while for extended family... but he was patient as long as we made the effort. Now, a few years after the transition, we are all on board.

This issue becomes far more real when it includes someone you know and care about.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:36 am
@maxdancona,
Didn't expect to find you on the side of righteousness Max. Pleased to be wrong.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:38 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Now he is a happy

This is the point, once transgender people start to transition they are much happier.

In many ways that's the biggest change.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:22 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
Great idea for a thread, thank you.

On an entirely unrelated note that I was wondering about earlier, is your chosen username anything to do with DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid? Used to have a couple of his CDs on tape back in the 90s, I liked Necropolis.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:28 am
@nimh,
I can answer that one. The Kid is my son and followed my lead in choosing a name and avatar, both our names are characters from William Burroughs' Nova Express. I imagine that's where your DJ got the name from, as did the band Soft Machine.

The avatars are both characters from Viz comic. Mine is Roger Mellie and the Kid's is Mr Logic.

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-04-at-12.47.39.png
nimh

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 04:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, I had no idea. Interesting! Thanks :-)
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:24 am
A school in Buenos Aires, Argentina has opened specifically to be welcoming to trans students.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/apr/17/for-me-it-was-everything-trailblazing-school-trans-people-buenos-aires-mocha-celis

“This school helps me, because it’s no longer just me,” says Rosa, 38. “I, Lautaro, am in my place. But I will offer you my place so that you can learn, too.”
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:26 am
Should point out a lil helpful guide that "transgender" is the correct adjective.

Like you wouldn't say someone was "talled" or "lesbianed" so transgender is the adjective rather than "transgendered"

(Being a trans linguist helps!)
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:30 am
If there's any other trans people here looking for good news stories, please don't read the "related topics" below.

I made that mistake and unfortunately it's full of ignorant and offensive questions about us with people agreeing offensive stereotypes. Not good for trans people's mental health!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:57 am
The pronoun thing is hard to get around.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:25 am
@McGentrix,
Pronouns aren't as hard as you might think!

The thing is don't assume. If you just ask someone "what are your pronouns?" then you're showing a certain level of respect.

It's not hard to call people by their pronouns if you see them as their gender rather than how you think they present themselves.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:27 am
@McGentrix,
Also this is a trans positivity thread - talking about good news transgender stories.

If you want to complain that you find it hard to not misgender trans people maybe make another thread.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:35 am
@McGentrix,
I didn't find it that hard to adapt to my nephew's new pronouns (he, him). If you care about someone you adapt. After a few family reunions it became natural.

My daughter experimented with using they/them pronouns for a while. That was more difficult because she wasn't consistent and because referring to an individual using plural pronouns felt awkward. She is back to using she/her... which works for me. I love my daughter and if she needed me to change pronouns I would.

I am talking about personal experience with people I know and care about. The societal/political issues are far less important to me.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

referring to an individual using plural pronouns felt awkward

To each THEIR own.

They/Them has been used as a gender neutral singular pronoun since Shakespeare! People arguing about plurality are just looking for excuses to not respect gender-neutral pronouns which is where I imagine she heard these arguments.

Besides it's really healthy to experiment with gender, pronouns, and representation. Even if you're cis and end up realising you're cis at the end of it, it normalises gender exploration which makes it a lot easier for trans and non-binary people.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:47 am
I would also like to encourage people to share transgender positivity - so experiences of gender euphoria, rights being granted, other general happy trans things.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 07:48 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
I am talking about my personal experience. When I used they/them to refer to my daughter... it felt awkward to me. I get the political argument, and the academic literary argument for using plural pronouns.

Being able to be real about emotions is important for friends and family of transgendered and non-gender conforming people. At its core, this isn't about politics... it is about relationships with people we care about.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 08:17 am
@maxdancona,
It's "transgender" not "transgendered"

And unfortunately it definitely is political - but I'm not going to go into that and otherwise bring down a positive thread. It's not doing you any favours telling an actual trans person what the reality of transness is. Yes you have a trans nephew, yes your daughter experimented with gender non-conformity, but you're not trans.

Also if you feel uncomfortable using singular they/them pronouns for people then you need to get over that.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 08:20 am
@maxdancona,
To be fair a "happy transgender news" thread definitely isn't the place to start airing your discomfort at certain aspects of interacting with trans people.