Writing two separate polls for IMDb re favorite singers

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 01:48 pm
I am in the process of writing poll suggestions for IMDb re board members favorite singers. I won't be pulling in nominations here.

Need help for inclusive wording. Initially someone wrote a suggestion for members favorite singer (but kept it at one single suggestion). I'm looking to make two separate suggestions (male/female respectively) but don't think there will be enough participation for a separate transgendered third/suggestion/poll.

How can I work/word transgendered singers into their respective question (to avoid offending people and not be awkwardly/poorly worded)?

EXAMPLE:
Which of the following male/male leaning singers chosen by the members of the IMDb board is your favorite singer?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 31 May, 2023 10:38 am
@tsarstepan,
I asked my trans son and he said the following:

"Male and female categories in themselves are fine, but making a third for transgender people would suggest trans men aren't really men or that trans men aren't really women - that we're just imitating or are an identity instead of the real deal.

A third category for nonbinary artists would be acceptable as Sam Smith and Demi Lovato would both fit into that category. Cavetown as a trans man would be a male artist and Kim Petras as a trans woman would be a female artist.

Just remember trans men are men, trans women are women, and for future reference it's 'transgender' not 'transgendered'."
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 31 May, 2023 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
Wonderful and accessible response. I'll hold off on the third (nonbinary) suggestion.
Quote:
Cavetown as a trans man would be a male artist and Kim Petras as a trans woman would be a female artist.

This is quite helpful. Much appreciated to you and your trans son.

As an aside, I have been mulling over a favorite nonbinary character (TV/movie) poll. Hesitating on how exactly to word it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 31 May, 2023 11:14 am
@tsarstepan,
Glad to help.
0 Replies