Boston A2Kers: could we meet up Memorial Day weekend?

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:22 am
<scratching head > 7. Yeah, that sounds right. I've got some scheduling conflicts here. Will work on resolving them during the day.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:00 am
littlek wrote:
PDiddie and Merry - wasn't it 7pm, then?

7ish tonight at Jacob Wirth's. Arrive when you can, everyone. See you all this evening.

(The sun just popped out here in Rockland this very moment. I am taking that as a good omen.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:47 am
Amen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:14 am
<has everyone got their cameras ready?>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:17 am
camera! thanks ehbeth, would have forgotten!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:23 pm
Ahem...?!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 03:35 pm
Did anyone other than littlek get home?

Where are the stories?

The pictures of the pdid's gazing at each other (I love love love those pix)?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:18 pm
No pix, not a one. Dag did bring her digi camera , but it didn't want to turn on.

We got to meet ebrown!!! Bobsmyth was there too, and then he went to sing karaoke.

The PDiddies were wonderful. We were not treated to a good ol' yeehaw, but we did get a few y'alls.

I was having a hard time hearing the conversation as a) i don't hear so well, b) the restaurant was lively and c) I was at the end of the table with my badder ear facing the group. So, conversations will be better described by someone else who was there.

The restaurant was great, though I was dubious that I'd find anything good to eat in a german restaurant (as a vegitarian). I had a very very good baked scrod on mashed potatoes and spinach. AND dessert - strudel......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:39 pm
Not one?

Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:59 pm
nope, not one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 05:50 pm
Thaaaat's okay. Written descriptions are enjoyable too. I am glad y'all met the pDids. And, my gosh, eBrown, what a triple treat. Did MA make it?

<and if I ever get to Boston, we can do something fusty like meet in a tea room...so we can hear>
<though they'd prolly have to have us removed by the tea room police>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:01 pm
Just got back from spending a couple of hours with the PDiddies and showing them around the North End aka Boston's Little Italy. Bobsmyth, glad to report that they took your advice and had lunch at the Union Oyster House. I met them later in front of the statue of Paul Revere, back of Old North Church, where they'd wandered while following the Freedom Trail. (I missed the Jake Wirth's dinner due to scheduling conflicts.) Today we took a walk through the Copp's Hill Burial Ground, staring at tombstones that date back to the late 17th and early 18th Centuries. Then we had some lovely Italian gelati and espressos and/or cappuccinos at a little cafe (The Cafe dello Sport) on Hanover Street. Then I trundled them back onto the Green Line at the Government Center T-stop for the four-stop trolley ride back to their hotel

Those poor folks had been on their feet all day, touring Fenway Park, walking the length of the Freedom Trail and otherwise getting an eyeful of Beantown. They had reservations for a haunted graveyard tour of the Granary Burial Ground which Mrs. PD decided to cancel in deference to her aching feet. Delightful people. I'm so glad I could meet them, having missed the Friday night dinner.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:03 pm
PS -- Mrs. PD looked smashing in her brand new Red Sox blouse which they had purchased at Fenway Park.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:16 pm
But, really, that is all very nice, I say sardonically in jest, but ....WHAT tee shirt did Mr. PDiddie wear....

or maybe he was in unusually somber garb..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:18 pm
Sorry, that was obnoxious of me. The tour sounds interesting, MA... oldish history so near.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:20 pm
Hmmmm, what did his shirt say friday night? I know I read it and told myself to remember it, but I have forgotten.

Merry - glad you got some time in and glad they got a good tour guide!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:24 am
It said Bada Bing.

It was a delight meeting all y'all as well. k, we all -- w'all? -- have that background noise hearing impairment going on; it's not just you. (Did y'all know k had a tat on her bicep of a scorpion? Or is it a pixie?)

A particularly loud shout out and tip o' the bowler to that Laughing Latvian, the marvelous Merry Andrew and our special tour yesterday of the boneyard, Back Bay and Little Italy.

Dasha, is that sleeve going to mend? Bob, how did your singing go (since we couldn't do any at Jake's)?

E, we are so delighted that you graciously spent an evening away from your fine family to meet us all (u'all?).

Sorry 'bout the lack of photographic evidence, but we're just not photographically inclined. Besides there's that messy little tax scofflaw issue ...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:28 am
I had a great time meeting everyone. Well... that was, after I found them...

I went to the restaurant and didn't see anyone I recognized. So I asked the hostess, "I am looking for a cute dog, a raven-haired beauty with a halo of fire, and a giant chattering stone head".

It was only when I saw the blank look on the hostess' face that it dawned on me that people would probably be wearing their off-line avatars. It was of course silly... I was thinking about bringing my A2k self with me, but decided to just bring the late 30ish persona with which I am known by most of my off-line aquaintences.

I did go to several tables asking "are you A2K"? To a series of quizzical looks. At one table they took a quick census and answered all "Yep, we are all OK".

Finally I found the PDiddies. As charming a couple as you would ever want to meet. And others soon arrived.

The coversation was fascinating... we talked about birds of prey, work, family, and not too much politics. It is very interesting meeting people in person who I have grown fond of online.

I can see PDiddie's t-shirt in my mind... I just cant read the thing. Someone tell me quick so I will be able to sleep again.

It was really nice meeting y'all.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:41 am
Hey It's our bada bing buddy. I posted a short decription on Letty's wa2k radio network yesterday. Isn't MA the best? I'm so happy to see you made contact at last.

bobsmythhawk
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:43 am Post: 1365730 -
I actually opted for dinner with the PDiddie's at Jacob Wirths along with littlek and Dagma. I spoke to the rain gods first and they agreed to let the rains abate for that day. The Diddies did what diddies do best and a pleasant evening ensued. I was sure it would be a happy occasion for while I waiting outside for someone to show I beheld on top of the Wang Center a pair of redtailed hawks. I chose the scrod which was well prepared. Libations were poured and consumed. We fleshed out their knowledge with some recommendations. They penciled in a journey along the Freedom Trail.
The restaurant features sing alongs on Friday night. They must have heard of me since they cancelled it this Friday. We broke up about 10:00 and I headed home. Passing through Hingham I stopped at the Ocean Kai (karaoke). I'd been there before and experienced a less than glowing performance from the dj who dabbled mainly in boredom. Last night it was a woman who was interested and supportive. The system was well balanced and she was attentive to the singers. In the hour and a half that remained I sang five songs. During smoke breaks a number of people came over to say how much they enjoyed my performance.
All in all it was a wonderful evening.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:24 pm
Good to have been with you, Mr. & Mrs. PD. All moved into the Airport Hilton yet? What plans for tomorrow?
0 Replies