Boston A2Kers: could we meet up Memorial Day weekend?

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:40 pm
The Diddies plan on being in your fair city from 5/26-5/30.

We'd be tickled to meet with anyone who's available for dinner/drinks/whatever. And if anyone knows about fun stuff going on during the holiday weekend, please tell us about it. (We're going to do some of the usual touristy-type things; I've been looking in on the other threads...)

Some of you may be aware that I'm a big baseball fan, but the Red Sox are playing the Yankees in New York that weekend, so I'll be happy just getting down in the Fenway area to immerse myself in Red Sox Nation atmosphere. Any suggestions for sports bars?

Here's a bit of the itinerary for location/destination purposes:

Thurs., 5/26: overnight in Rockland, MA
Fri., 5/27 and Sat. 5/28: overnight at Marriott Tremont
Sun. 5/29: overnight at Logan Hilton
Mon., 5/30: late departure (plenty of time for lunch)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 13,430 • Replies: 165
No top replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:28 pm
PDiddie~
When I get home tonight, I'll check my calendar.
That's usually a pretty crowded weekend (plus our wedding anniversary is
the 26th). But let's see what's doing. I'd enjoy meeting you.
~George
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:29 pm
i'll be around!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:27 pm
For a sports bar near Fenway you must visit the new Game On!

Here is some info I could get on it. I haven't been yet, but I have heard incredible things about it.

Game On!, a brand-new sports café promised to establish a new model of experiential sport dining in Boston. Game On! is a two-story facility located on the corner of Lansdowne St. and Brookline Ave., right inside Fenway Park's Gino building, though patrons won't need a ticket to the game to enjoy the food, bar or al fresco dining.

While Game On! is a sports bar, don't plan on memorabilia-encrusted wall space and greasy food; the venue is an attempt to set a new precedent in sports café dining, and the inclusion of Sonsie's culinary team in the project should help make that happen. The projected menu includes everything from Boston Clam Chowder and The All- American Hamburger to Filet Mignon and Market Grill Fish.

Game On! also plans to be the new pioneer in multimedia entertainment, broadcasting every game played in the world on over 90 screens, as well as hosting Fantasy Draft events, including real-time statistical tracking on LED signs and sports tickers.

In addition, Game On! will be the first sports café in Boston to host regional and national video gaming tournaments on single and multiplayer X-Box, GameCube and Playstation2 consoles.

While the downstairs bar area will cater to the over-21 crowd with a full bar and generous seating areas, including "box seats" that will be available for reservation, the first floor will feature a family-friendly atmosphere.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:29 pm
If you want a more traditional Boston Sports Bar - there is the Cask and Flagoon, and Who's on First both right near Fenway. Also you can go on a tour of Fenway Park and if it hasn't been raining, they usually let you walk on the warning track.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:32 pm
but you'll be staying downtown! You must not miss Jacob Wirth's pub and restaurant. In fact I suggest that for the meet. Friday or Saturday should be pretty doable for most of us, I reckon. Sports bars get loud, we wouldn't hear each other there.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:19 pm
Ah, to finally meet Dasha, the Queen of ...

... Slovakia? The Slovak Republic? What would be the proper name now? Jacob Wirth's sounds like a fine suggestion; day to be determined. Something close to our lodging is obviously preferable as we'll be hoofing it or cabbing.

George, if it doesn't conflict with other things on your schedule, we'd love to see you as well.

Link, those are great suggestions. And yes, it might not be the best atmosphere for our gathering to compete with the Yankees-Red Sox, so we'll work that out somehow. I could conceivably get all of the RSN I need with a tour of Fenway on Saturday and some of their afternoon tilt with Los Yanquis that same day.

Even if it's a small gathering, that's better than none at all. Looking forward to meeting you all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:32 pm
yeehaw!!!

That weekend starts my week off.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:33 pm
<pssst, it's Slovakia>
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:37 pm
Listen, I hope y'all ain't typing "I reckon" and "yeehaw" 'cuz y'all thank ah want know whatcher talkin' bout.

I been places, ya know. Not to Slowvakia, but other places. Cultured places, too. Places with museums. And art garreys.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:14 pm
I surely wasn't saying yeehaw because I was talking to you... look around I say it here and there. Even among Bostonites.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:56 pm
littlek wrote:
I surely wasn't saying yeehaw because I was talking to you... look around I say it here and there. Even among Bostonites.

You must secretly wish you wuz Texan, then...

(just jokin')
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:03 pm
San Francisco, for example. Let me say that both Diddies are wonderful, and Mr. Diddie wears exemplary tee shirts.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:04 pm
Why do I always confuse PDiddie with Husker.

What the hell is the reason for that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:05 pm
I dunno, gus, they are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery different people, both with well developed personas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:22 pm
Gus, I haven't a clue!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:25 pm
Well, I guess we'll just file this under "unexplained"
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:38 pm
I'm certainly not going to attempt an explanation ...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:08 pm
So, PD, what's the plan? What days work best for the gathering?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:20 pm
jespah, region, bob, crazie, quinn, fishin, where are you folks?
0 Replies