..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

Joeblow

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 04:41 pm
@farmerman,
I had to look it up. Sweet.

Fair weather to you and the missus.
roger

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 04:50 pm
@Joeblow,
Hey, it's good to see you at least look in on us.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 04:55 pm
@roger,
Smile well, the weather's starting to change so I might have more indoor time soon enough. Thanks for noticing Roger. You're the best.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:11 pm
@Joeblow,
Why didn’t the Chilean miners go to the dirty picture show? Because it said No Minors Allowed
roger

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, have a nice voyage anyway.

Bet you thought this was the bad jokes thread.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 10:35 pm
@roger,
Getting old means losing one's mind. I think people call it "senility."
roger

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 01:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
Not me! I forget what I call it, but not that!
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:24 pm
@roger,
an excellent ride, a series of good breezes and the water rather warm. The nights were nice and dark so the stargazing was also xcellent.
Flew home from Bar Harbor to Philly on a small Mooney this afternoon. I hope the new owners w ill enjoy that boat as much as we did.

I hadda make some note for some oopsfixes to the GPS and map interactives, they kept giving wrong information at frequent intervals. Pisses me off when the puter code is written by some wag in a foreign country who forgets that map directions /distances are a vector.

We caught some nice spot and a few yellowfin, so our meals werent all out of a freeze dried box of crap. We did have loads of veggies an fruits .

The rail mounted charcoal grille wasnt intalled yet, as was a few other things like the solar powered frig an freezer, we hadda use the propane and diesel system for those.
We had tv's with an onboard "hot-spot" so my latest obsession, (watching the vlogs about the UK CRT and canal boat ramblings on youtube) was not missed.

We saw pelicans as far north as LI Sound. Three whales or so per day, all were finbacks(I dont know whale spis very well)> I can tell MINKEs and Bowheads but I cannot distinguish among the several species of finbacks (except that they are fuckin huuuge)

Looks like we will be taking a re- constructed trawler up to Fundy sometime next sppring. Theyve now got the "boat on the lift" and were tearing it asunder when w left the Chesapeake
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 11:27 am
@farmerman,
we are being graciously flown into Eastport AP this evening. fter which we hqll (hopefully dine on some fresh scawllops , get some sleep, and return the owners boat back to Lewes Del for a railroad ride and re-outfitting this the classiest piece a hardware Ive ever piloted. I hope the winds are fair and not so damn changing as they were when e brought it into the Gulf of maine just as that NEer was cranking up.

Sailing is always a bit more challenging than motor sailing so Im kinda glad we can be a little more free with the nav. The owners two kids (theyre in their 20') will accompany us and hopully lrn more about piloting and seamanship .They are both competitive as hell and im ure will do fine).
Mrs F is staying home thi time since she has to bake a billion apple pies for some kinda fstival next weekend.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:30 pm
pent most all of the weekend in and around Lubec Maine and Eatport. The weather (mostly wind) was horrid and I am not sailing a very expensive boat into a Nor easter with a green and untried crew. The boat will remain in Maine for the winter and work will be done at SW harbor . A far as the owner was concerned , he fired me . He will learn what licensed pilots charge. In all cases of adventure on the water, I try to keep safety up on top.
I hope I get a chance to bring er back to Delaware next spring as she rides like a cloud (Ive had dealings with this family before).IRented a car yesterday and got home a few hours ago. Need some sleep but Im kinda all wired from the weekend and arguing with the boat yard and the owner. He was more concerned about his fancy boat than he was his own kids. Hes kind of a dick in that way.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 09:15 am
@farmerman,
Bummer, sorry for the crap end to an otherwise nice summer sail.

Summer at the CO shack was good but wasn't able to get the airplane repairs finished, at least got her back on the gear and looking like a flying machine again. Next year for sure. Maybe.
Back to FL and real internet soon.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 11:11 am
@Leadfoot,
drive easy, its a nightmare around Columbus and Richmond and DC. I guess you go the southern routes though eh?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 11:49 am
@farmerman,
Yep, most people hate those long empty roads through Texas but I like'm.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 06:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Texas is two and a half days long from East to West. I used to drive to the Delaware basin in some work we were doing about 25 yers ago. The sludge of the state gathers around Midland and Odessa.
Every state has a pithole town.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Two and a half days! ?

I left central CO at 05:30 this AM and I just checked in at my motel room in Arkansas. I drifted a little North for a quick stop at the Route 66 museum on the way. OK, not great. The old TV series was better.
But I like to drive and didn’t have GF requiring frequent stops for biological needs this trip.

Edit: well, I thought I was in Arkansas, I see I’m actually still in OK. I do the CO to FL in 3 days. My brother an I once did it in one 30 hour drive. We were both zombies for two days after so it didn’t save any time : )
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
sailing down the Chesapeaake to outbound at the CApe. Quick invite onto a friends chartered Huckins. This boat is a magnificent ode to wooden boat detail. To Block Island Bar harbor, Lubec and social isolation in the nicest way possible we go.
I traded in my Canon 60D for an Upgrade and some new lenses so We will hopefully have some great whale shots .

This couldnt have come at a better time. We were getting rammy listening to the Trump stories of woe and the pandemics march through the US.

I am gonna cover 1/2 the fuel costs which is about 1 gal diesel per Mile and a half an about 35 lb of propane a day. If we just touch the Gulf of Maine itll be about 3500 nautical miles total. We should be gone for maybe till Friday.

Who'm I kidding, this boat can cruise at 20 knots and thats a little less than a gallon and a half per mile, and Im sure when Im on the wheel I will not be just doing 20.

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 07:31 am
@farmerman,
Lucky bastard. I’m still stuck in FL like a f'n prisoner in lockdown. Not so much from Mr. Covid as my own lethargic ass and this muggy heat. Loading the car feels like Atlas holding the world around his neck. I can’t breath.

Almost done though and heading for CO soon.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 02:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
This boat has got a wifi node all over and theyve got these BOSe smart speakers.
Drive well and be safe.
We can argue after Labor Day
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
finback whales off the lower jersey coast . Were about 35 naut mi out doing 8k NNE
farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 09:21 am
@farmerman,
been experiencing a few storms , short bursts and not too high seas. We landed at SW harbor after leaving Block I yesterday. Will make it to Lubec and will not be going into Cnadian waters because were excluded without shipping orders or other less friendly docs.
We decided to extend the trip and stop at Monhegan or Cape Cod on wy home. Storms forecast ed.

Maybe be back Mon or Tues as now planned.