..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Had some prop shaft problems , wonnt take much to fix, jut need a correct spindle of proper alloy nd to be machined and repacked in "the box". Were staying near Mahone Bay . had a nice supper and its getting to be ghost town like . We may go up to Halifax or Dartmouth tomorrow but I think I will be outvoted by the folks that want to drive inland , to buy fresh veggies and apples and look for mooses.
We got a rental car at the marine service center at Lunenburg.
We still are shooting for an open ocean run E to Sable Island to count migrating whales before it starts getting too rough for the season for small craft . Otherwise , our plan B is to skim the South shore and put in at Grand Manan for a few days and try to get back to Delaware by Halloween or thereabouts.
(One stop at Eastport or SW harbour to show we aint bad guys)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 08:28 pm
@farmerman,
Do you know how to make a torpedo, Mr fm?
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:20 am
@edgarblythe,
we leave today before lunch . The consensus is to NOT head out to able Iland (the seas are a bit high to the east and wed be out at sea for a couple days of rather chilly windy wther.
SOO, its land huggery , putting in to Digby , over to Grand Manan, check with Customs at Eastport, then home.
We should be back home in Pa by Nov 1 or 2..

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 09:27 am
@farmerman,
We like it on Grand Manan, rented a jalopy and Im gonna take the gang rock and fossil hunting along the Triassic side of the island. Looks like We will leave the Fundy area maybe Tuesday and plow our way back home with a stop at SW harbour and return the boat to its owners. I love this Hinkley but it needs too much attention to ever consider it as a buy. Its got very tricky thrusters and I need a more of a real workboat with a designed live- on capability, not a damn yatch.

This thing has framed watercolors in the staterooms, but it doesnt have enough weather tech.The only way qwe learnt about the bad winds along Sable Islands was from the marine weather channel and an emergency channel. Id have a printout behind me.

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 10:11 am
@farmerman,
Speaking of Sable Island and weather stuff, I'm still remembering in the book The Perfect Storm and all of the problem they had there. They had that sinking feeling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 10:45 am
@farmerman,
Mahone Bay! friends of ours, descended from General Burgoyne, came from there. Good visiting when I was a kid.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 06:02 pm
@ehBeth,
I think that "Oak Island" site (the one that the TV treasure show was based on, is also in Mahone Bay. We just steamed in and after a night, we gone.
we're now in Grand Manan and Im really having to get used to Atlantic Time coupled with the shortening days. At flank speed, we can be back over to Lubec Me. in less than an hour and a half. Had a nice scallop stew and some really nice fried steamers.

Gonna hit the sack I think we qre going to revise our schedule and instead of staying here for 5 days, we will scurry down from Lubec to Bar harbor then SW Harbor, we re expecting some cold weather and a storm by Tuesday. Mrs F is baking some apple pies for us nd another bunch of folks from S Carolina that we met at the marina.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
Wave at MarleyFrances from Abuzz when you are in SW Harbor.

Apple pie sounds like a terrific idea. Having it with some good aged cheddar?
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 04:39 am
@ehBeth,
Ill take a run up to the Independent Grocer when it opens today. There some groceries we need for the haul south and Im sure the IGA at Lubec wont be as well stocked as the Independent(although seafood is hardly ever a problem.(Even though Manan is an island).
The weather, last few days, and the win gusts, hv inserted a sense of urgency to our southern steam over some fairly big water in the Gulf of Maine . We expect rain and a bit of a blow on Tues so we may lay over at Lubec or Eastport before heading to home by Thursday or the weekend.

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 04:20 am
@farmerman,
gonna shove off today mid day. We should get to Eastport before 3PM (we gain another hour coming back to the states) So I think Ill be in a few days of wifi silence since the US net network really sucks compared to Canda. SO,I may not be reporting in for a few days after but, unless you read about a chartered Hinkley Talaria being lost in the Gulf of Maine or LI sound, we will be ok.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 04:43 am
@farmerman,
were taking on another bottle load of propane for the run south. The heaters have been going since we left in September. A boat is a lousy insulator even though this baby is about as good as it comes. Talk is of Hinkley going to major solar and wind generation for future boats. This boat we rented is 44 feet long but still there limited space for solar and I have no idea where a wind genereator would go without a radical design trick
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 08:18 am
@farmerman,
get going before the weather kicks up eh
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
dayum. The damn boat crapped out n we hadda get towed into Eastport. Looks like we will be staying here till the owners get up here to affect repairs. It looks like some serious water in the diesel is the cause of the problem and Im really not competent to drain the system while its in the water. Weere gonna have her towed to the marina in Lubec. Thats the closest railyard thats fully staffed . This boat is waay too expensive for me to fool with the taking out of the water. Any fairly big boat of 44 feet is not used to coming out of water without sufficient cradling (or else coming out keelside up). Thats where the nickels and dimes happened when we owned a big boat. I remember an 80 ft fishing bot in Bowers beach Delaware they tried to bring it out without enough cradling and it hogged and broke in the middle. Cost a fortune to rebuild the whole keel.

I guess we will rent a small apartment for a few days or until the mechanix guys from the Ocean City (MARYLAND) marina get here and take possession for repair. In any fashion, we decided that we will probably just rent a car and drive back to Pa,(takes about 18 hours from Tippy top of Downeast of Maine to home in Lancaster County). tell the truth I was beginning to get a bit rammy

We spent a goodly amount between the two couples to charter the boat and cover the insurance. I dont want to run up any false charges that arent covered by any insurance(which I assume is in effect ). Ya never know, water in the diesel can often be solved simply with adding enough methanol, or it can be a big problem with ******* up the injectors or messing up motors in the side-thrusters.

Oh well, at least the Eastport restaurants aren't all closed for the season and theres plenty to do
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
When you say Eastport, are you talking about Eastport, Maryland?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 06:49 pm
@farmerman,
well crappola

at least you're in the US

did you cruise past St. Martins on your way along the coast? a friend who moved there last year just posted some wonderful photos.

_

Hope you had a great meal tonight
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 06:55 pm
@glitterbag,
the fman and the gang are in Maine tonight
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
naah. We went out to the restaurant on Rt 1 and had a shore dinner and then were back everyone was watching Antique Roadshow. Now mrs F is sketching me at the laptop and our friends are making rice pudding,(At least I think its rice pudding). OMIGOD, its moving .
We hqve a neat little efficiency that overlooks the old town dock and e could see out to East Quoddy (if it werent foggy)

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 08:32 pm
@farmerman,
Guys from the chessie will be here tomorrow and theyre gonna have the boat degassed and cleaned then they want us to pilot it down to the Hinkley plant In Northeast Harbor. I think e will pass because the weather is supposed to be giving a blow on Wed and Thurs. 100 mm of rain expected at 90% forecast.

I think we will setlle up with the guys and then begin our trek home by rental car, We should be back home in Pa by sometime Thurs if we leave Wed after lunch and just wheel it strait home changing drivers

10/24/17
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 08:48 am
@farmerman,
100 mm?

I'll put my raingear on here with a forecast like that.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2017 06:56 pm
@ehBeth,
We made it back home about 7Pm. Showered up and am eating an apple. I feel like Nostradamus because the predicted storm off New England could be a whopper windwise.

0 Replies