..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I need a picture reviewer that allows me to use the computer to get big shots to rapidly scroll by , not these little thumbnails.

Take a look at the ones reviewed here:

Best Free Digital Image Viewer

And here's a review from CNET. Scroll down to the end of the article for a list of others:

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Image-Viewer/3000-2192_4-10324485.html
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks. Ill check em out. I met a watercolor artist on Block Island . She uses her digital photos as reference for her paintings but she keeps em on the computer because the pix are much more vibrant with light. I thought hat was a neat idea and one Ill bet most painters never even thought about
Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
I think that your camera is a jinx!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
FWIW, the newer technology media cards..have 2 or 4 times the speed to write and read...thus making the speed to read on the camera and d/l to your computer much faster.
msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 05:20 pm
@farmerman,
Welcome back, farmer.
It's lovely to see you again after so long Smile

I'm sorry to hear about your wee accident & your time in hospital.
I'm hoping your injuries are not too serious & that you'll be up & about soon ....
... I'm also glad your mishap was caused by a log & not a whale!
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:10 am
@msolga,
You have to remember Olga that all our insurance premiums are higher than they need be to take account of the tiny fraction of the population which seeks to engage in risky pastimes in order to set themselves apart from the rest of us who are content to potter about in our local and domestic settings.

Some say they are seeking suicide by accident. And some say that there are no such things as accidents.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:54 am
@spendius,
sort of like dui ne?
I was reading an article in the recent Atlantic regarding how property turnover in Russia is quite healthy due to the alcoholic tennants who seem to die of vodka abuse like lemmings off a bluff.

Most "extreme sports" are celebrations of life, whereas alcoholic opinionating manifests despair.

Glad to see that youre still about your pontificating from your niche in the curbside. Some things need constancy
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:55 am
@msolga,
thanks, I was bored to tears while I was abed. Although the first two weeks were a blur.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:35 am
@spendius,
spendius

I care nothing about any of that.

Mostly I care about farmer's wellbeing.
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:18 am
@msolga,
Well Olga--many of us have noticed that you don't care about anything which might disturb your set fast ideas.

We all care about fm's well being. It isn't a particular grace you have.
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Most "extreme sports" are celebrations of life, whereas alcoholic opinionating manifests despair.

I don't think many psychiatrists would agree with that assertion.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 06:25 am
@spendius,
Was Mrs fm involved in the "accident"?
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 09:16 am
@spendius,
yes, she was trying to collect on a double indemnity clause, why do you ask?

Im not surprised that a psychiatrist would disagree with the previous opinion. They need a consatnt influx of new revenue, and having people doubt their life choices is a first step to interminable "analyses".
Theres no cash stream when everyone is happy with their lot.
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:57 am
@farmerman,
Did she get injured or put to any tiresome experiences?

Nobody is seeking to doubt your life choices fm. The objection is to parading them as if they are superior to the life choices of others when they are obviously not.

It makes nonsense of evolutionary principles to over-ride sensual inputs. No animal does it unless trained to do. There's not a racehorse that wouldn't start coasting or even pull up in the last two furlongs if no applications of the whip were allowed.

And you are disqualified from appealing to social evolution because you have already dismissed that in regard to religion. Or those aspects of religion that you once found inconvenient and which you have now internalised as principles through habit.

There is a cash stream for those happy with their lot but it so easily catered for that it is necessary to keep employment rates high that we are rendered unhappy.

And you have to allow that many people do doubt their life choices. The psychiatrists don't cause that. Are you suggesting that psychiatry is a job creation scheme?
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And you are disqualified from appealing to social evolution because you have already dismissed that in regard to religion.

Says who? I agree with EO Wilsons "search for the social evolution genes", religion is merely a manifestation of the alleles in question IMHO.

You have always appealed to the "external" wrt religion, I say, instead that its hard wiring. How many civilizations have there been, each with some forms of all seeing deities? maybe ALL of them? yet noone questions the evolution of the Pantheons. In this latter case, I suspect that the Rick Perry's of the world dont wish to acknowledge such evolution . He feels (wrongly I submit) that gods all acted upon us through time and not the other way around.

Just a thought.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:56 pm
@Ragman,
are these newer cards compatible with the existing cameras?
I use mostly Sandiscs.
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:14 pm
@farmerman,
I don't buy social evolution genes. It's a science. Mechanical.

Mr Perry is a politician. They will acknowledge anything which gets them power. One needn't wonder why our politicians praise democracy. In all systems the desire for power has to be overwhelming in order to succeed.
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:19 pm
@spendius,
Perry is a theocrat. Hes a Dominionist and a preacher of Creation "Science".
Whether you buy social effects dictated by genetics is immeterial. SCience will keep working on the discussion.
I can understand why youd not support the aspect. It would reverse your belief that God created man
spendius

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 05:11 pm
@farmerman,
I never said God created man.

There is no need to think that God created man top justify preaching Creationism. There are other more scientific reasons.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 05:28 am
@farmerman,
Actually fm I don't really understand what you're getting at with that post. Where have I said that God created man or that social effects are not dictated by genetics?

You are imputing views to me that I don't have and then producing conclusions from your straw.

Obviously Science will keep working on the discussion. It's a lucrative and easy operation and evolution stamps in such attractions. But how much of it is actually Science?

Tell us what happened in the "accident" and the aftermath and why it has led to a less strident you. That is significantly interesting.
0 Replies