..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

spendius

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:47 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
A Currach or Curach is a type of Irish boat with a wooden frame, over which animal skins or hides were once stretched - nowadays canvas is more usual. It is sometimes anglicised as "Curragh". The construction and design of the currach is unique to the west coasts of Ireland and Scotland, with variations in size and shape by region. It is referred to as a naomhóg in counties Cork and Kerry and as a "canoe" in West Clare. It is related to the Welsh coracle, but can in fact cover far larger craft than the Welsh version. The traditional all wooden rowing boat found on the west coast of Connacht is also called a Currach or Currach Adhmaid "wooden Currach" Its style of construction is very similar to the canvas covered Currach. A larger version of this is known as a Bád Iomartha.
McTag

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 04:56 pm
@spendius,

So I was wrong, then? If your publication is to be believed, that is. I've only seen it spelled curragh, and I've seen a lot.

This must be a first.

What kind of boat did Ben Gunn make?
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 09:20 pm
@McTag,
I was spelling it with a gh and a ch , but always 2 R's. The wikipedia thing that spendi looked up is just that, its wikipedia, (not exactly what we call a scholarly source) but I suppose itll do . I feel that Ive done my job to acquaint spendi with the concept and Ive seen the word slowly spread into his jibes and criticism. Hes a lot more mellow this week since hes been seeing that he can lose quite easily at picking AMerican football games by his "system" when any fool can do the same and be just as correct.

Importantly, my boat SHALL NOT look like this pussy craft. I shall have a true fore and aft rigging with a homemade Genoa. Ill need a jib sprit but I can work on that when Ive got her all laid out and begun. I shall NOT be caught dead doing the "Stitch and glue" crap that this one in the picture demos. I will stretch my glas and am thinking that Ill really slop er down with glue and stretch the fiberglas. I want to be able to see the wood work through the glas and Im thinking of spending some time with doing a Celtic "spider" to put on the bow sides.

Im also going to add a ama and aka setup so I can really take er into bigger seas.

My model will be about 22 feet long not 16 so I need to transfer all the strips into a 1.375 detail.     http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Stbrendanscurrach.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 07:03 am
22 or 16 ft, still a admirable project.

Joe(We'll have to get you a proper uniform.)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 05:54 am
@Joe Nation,
Work is proceeding . I seem to get one or two frame segments drawn and cut each day. I need to get a better blade set for my band saw. I think Ill get a wider blade that is good for resawing. The curves arent that extreme that I need a narrow (and less accurate) blade.

Yesterday I went and got some sheets of 1/4 and 1/2 " A grade " mahogany plywood. JEEZUAZ H CHRISTE , I need a bailout. This stuff has really skyrocketed.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:28 am
@farmerman,
How much were they effemm? Plywood is one of the lines I carry but I don't do that class of stuff. Wouldn't marine ply be better?

I saw state of the art boats being made from rubber last week. They were for military use.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:12 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Plywood is one of the lines I carry but I don't do that class of stuff

A mahogany is marine grade plywood. THey also make okoume or some other dense wood for marine grades. Mahogany is actually the most economical.

I didnt lknow you ran a hardware store . You are a man of the people after all . Im proud of you. Now youll have to stop referring to the "lower classes": with condescendence. You are one of us.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 08:16 am
@farmerman,
Isn't mahogany a bit mushy?

I don't run a hardware store.

I was born in a hovel with one cold water tap and a dunny can.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 09:01 am
@spendius,
so maybe a ladies garment shop? That would explain your extreme obsession with lingerie.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:09 am
@farmerman,
I don't have such an obsession. I am interested as an observer why so many others have that obsession and how it came about.

At Dylan's first major press conference in LA circa 1965 he was asked what he would sell out to if ever he did sell out. He replied "ladies garments". And he did eventually much to my amusement.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 10:41 am
@spendius,
well Dylan was an outed Tranny. Is that what you are too?
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 11:44 am
@farmerman,
I don't shave effemm. Do you?

I don't believe you on the Dylan thing.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:34 pm
@spendius,
You dont eh. Well remember his Blond on Blonde show? what do you call that outfit? He looked like a Jewish Boy George.
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
He looked like a rookie shaman to me. Now he looks the real deal.

Your smear reflects on you effemm. It doesn't touch him.

Are you going to have some Book of Kells symbolisms on your currach?
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@spendius,
NO, SInce it will have a stern board, I want to print "laissez les bons temps roulez" on the butt. Im thinking of a spider on the sail. Thats a year or more down the road
Francis

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
I would advise you check out the spelling before printing that...
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:35 pm
@Francis,
can you help? Im just remembering it from Nawlins spelling.

Ive got a year or so to get it right and I will give a ride to anyone who spells it out for me.

"Let the good times roll" in CHinese would be total kewlness.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:49 pm
@farmerman,
OK, I found it in my Nawlins spelling guide
'Laissez les bon temps rouler"
spendius

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
For that effemm you need a four-poster in a country house on Easter Sunday with a couple of bottles of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne and a rookie dowager rather than the brine slatting in to your screwed up eyes on a fresh easterly.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:17 pm
@spendius,
I havent decided what kind of sails I will use , so spary "slatting in my eyes may not even be possible based on whether I go square rather than a gaff rig.
AS far as the bubbly and the old broad, Im happy with my life as it is. Adventure requires sobriety . That way we dont drag our sea anchors over a submerged cable. I dont expect youd understand since barstools dont require any skills to use.