Mueller: No further indictments

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
What the **** is it with this nearly universal rhetorical behavior right wing voices demonstrate here? Even george, who has a goddamn Ph D. insists on avoiding this simplest of scholarship requirements utterly commonplace in first years courses in damn near any subject area.
I really don't quite get it. Either these people just do not have the educational background to grasp why citations are important/necessary in the pursuit of truth or they are, for whatever set of reason, interested in something other than pursuing truth.

Or maybe I did provide citations and blatham is once again being dishonest.
blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:38 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
In one of the science magazines I read there was an article about certain people feeling a need to defend their opinion in the face of fact. The article stated that the more facts presented to these opinionated people the more rigorously they defended their opinion. Something to do with respect for self.
Yes. There's been a lot of cognitive science research that has found exactly that to be so. Unfortunately, that poses something of a problem for me as I commonly do what I probably ought not to do.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
They also, many of them, think that providing a citation makes it a "fact." Oralloy gives a couple of cites that Democrats were calling for an investigation. That doesn't mean that's why Sessions/Rosenstein appointed a special counsel.

If you wish to conclude that the Justice Department paid no heed to the vocal demands for a special counsel, that's your business.

My conclusion is that the loud public outcry played a big part in it.

Setanta wrote:
Thinking is hard!

Not for me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:40 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
In one of the science magazines I read there was an article about certain people feeling a need to defend their opinion in the face of fact. The article stated that the more facts presented to these opinionated people the more rigorously they defended their opinion. Something to do with respect for self.

That would explain why the left always denies reality.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
He has not produced a citation which unequivocally shows that a Republican-controlled Congress and a Republican Justice Department acted because of complaints by Democrats.

I have proved that the Democrats made a loud public outcry calling for a special counsel.

My conclusion is that this loud public outcry played a factor in the Justice Department's decision.

If you reach a different conclusion, that does not invalidate my conclusion.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:43 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Or maybe I did provide citations and blatham is once again being dishonest.

He has demonstrated again and again he is not to be trusted.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:44 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Yes and yes... thinking is hard if one is trying to do it right.

Not all of us find it so difficult.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Unfortunately, that poses something of a problem for me as I commonly do what I probably ought not to do.

The worst part of it is the way you engage in vile name-calling whenever you are out of your depth.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:47 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I believe the behavior you so energetically criticize here is every bit as common among "left wing" posters as you allege is among "right wing voices" here.
You may well believe it but you'd be wrong. Just as regards yourself, find me an instance in the last month or year where you've cited and linked anything other than a quote from someone who hasn't been dead for 2000 years.

Quote:
Citing, as you so frequently do, a source, providing the opinion of a usually biased observer, that is also itself devoid of either facts or citations
Wrong again. Nearly ever post I write where I cite/link to an outside source will itself contain citations and links to supporting data. You just don't bother to read them or to read with care.

Quote:
Citations occur mostly in non scientific fields populated by authors jealous of their own status
You're my very favorite know-it-all anti-intellectual, george.
blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:49 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Have you seen his actual credentials, or is this a claim he makes without proof?
I don't deem george a liar. But whatever route he took to his degree must have been pretty damned unusual.
oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:50 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
He has demonstrated again and again he is not to be trusted.

Blatham's promise to leave that thread reminds me of leftist promises to leave the country if a Republican is elected president.

Leftists promise it every election, and they never follow through when a Republican is elected.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 02:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Nearly ever post I write where I cite/link to an outside source will itself contain citations and links to supporting data. You just don't bother to read them or to read with care.

Your "Look everyone! I think what that guy thinks!" game isn't really what people mean when they say "citation".

Citations are for backing up facts that people assert are true.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 03:05 pm
My favorite pages here on A2K are the ones which contain 30 or 40 instances of
Quote:
User ignored (view)

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 03:10 pm
@blatham,
That's because you like to run and hide from people who out-think you.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 03:12 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That's because you like to run and hide from people who out-think you.

Actually, he renders himself even more useless by ignoring so many users.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
...Yet, we have the President claiming "complete exoneration." Which, btw, is NOT what the report said.

In our system of justice, people investigated and not charged are considered to be innocent and are not considered to be under a cloud of suspicion for the rest of their lives unless they prove their innocence beyond all doubt.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:46 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
cloud of suspicion for the rest of their lives unless they prove their innocence beyond all doubt.

Like this poor guy.

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 06:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
In our system of justice, people investigated and not charged are considered to be innocent and are not considered to be under a cloud of suspicion for the rest of their lives unless they prove their innocence beyond all doubt.

Again, debated to death on these forums....

Can't indict a sitting president. That doesn't mean he's innocent. It means he gets impeached THEN charged.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 06:05 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
It means he gets impeached THEN charged.

Like Clinton was charged with rape?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 06:59 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Have you seen his actual credentials, or is this a claim he makes without proof?
I don't deem george a liar. But whatever route he took to his degree must have been pretty damned unusual.

It probably was. After 1 1/2 years of Flight training and 3 1/2/ years flying A-4s I got orders to the Naval Postgraduate school in Monterey, and after two years there was offered a PhD program at Cal Tech. Degree in Aeronautical Engineering & Fluid Mechanics.

After that, a bit tired of the knowledge business, I got myself assigned to a fighter squadron and, a few months later, found myself on a carrier headed to the Gulf of Tonkin.