Hints to my sexuality over homework

izzythepush

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:35 pm
@maxdancona,
You've not understood a thing that's been said. I'll leave you and your tissue to it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is the heart of your problem. Right now, the Yanamomi indigenous tribe practices child marriage (as have many indigenous tribes throughout history). Young adolescent girls are given away for marriage with the expectation that they will fulfill their duties (they are expected to have sex with their husbands). They consider their culture perfectly normal and have made it clear they don't want or need Western interference.

Do you think the Western term "spousal rape" applies to these traditional indigenous culture? Do you think that Western people should go in and stop this practice?

(BTW, if this conversation bores you... you can always stop responding. The fact that you complain but continue to engage makes me chuckle)

I understand perfectly well. You seem to be unable to accept that different cultures have different sets of values, and that your moral understanding will often not fit into other cultural contexts.

But then, your answer to multiculturalism is Shakespeare.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 10:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Are you honestly confused by the OP's question or is this just another opportunity for you to grouse about how you are the only person on the forum who knows that the world has primitive cultures who routinely hand over 6 year old girls to 40 and 50 year old men who believe they are entitled to penetrate everything that has an orifice?? It's abundantly clear what your views are, and no....we haven't even been able to protect little boys and girls from predators in this country so we are not equipped to persuade or deter adults from abusing children in other nations, we can't prevent female genital mutilation and honor killings will continue until the societies that practice such horrific acts decide that women and girls actually have value.

The OP can pretend it's a work of fiction, much like a novel (or a Shakespeare play) and simply fabricate a situation as part of an arranged marriage or for those raised in Western Societies...a blind date or match maker set up. It can just be a fantasy.................but if it overwhelms the student, then I agree the student should consult with the professor and negotiate a different assignment.
Writing fiction is creative and not the same as a lie....I doubt the instructor is going to notarize the assignment and force the students to adhere to the 'plan'. There is no reason to reveal anything personal in a school assignment, personal is personal.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 01:48 am
@maxdancona,
This is a thread about Shakespeare, not your prurient obsession with child abuse.

You seem to delight in pointing out examples of child abuse that we in the West can do nothing about. It's like you're mocking those children in a really repulsive way.

You seem to forget how disgusting many people on A2K find you, especially the women.

The only person talking about invading other countries is you. It's not an option those days are gone. What we should do is enforce our own laws adequately and put human rights at the top of the agenda. That means putting pressure on countries with appalling human rights records.

And that means not selling nuclear weapons to a country like Saudi Arabia with its shocking treatment of women and repulsive interpretation of Islam. An interpretation that it's trying to spread to other countries.

As for child brides you need to stop the practice in America.

Quote:
Between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married in the United States. The vast majority of child marriages were between a child and an adult. The majority of married children were girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 03:34 am
@JustAnAce,
Hi fellow Ace!

I'm ace too - so hopefully I can give you a few pointers on how to handle this, as I've come into similar situations.

I noticed you’ve said you’re ace – but I guess I can assume you’re aro (aromantic) too? The reason is I know a fair few ace people that do experience regular romantic attraction. Asexuality being a spectrum means everyone experiences it differently – so do tell me if anything I assume is wrong!

First thing’s first: I think it’s very important to be up front with your teacher about how you feel. I note that you’re still not open about your asexuality (and of course you do NOT have to tell anyone), but it would help if you were up front and said that you are struggling to complete the assignment as you find it difficult to think on such terms. I’m sure the teacher would then be able to give you options as to how to complete the assignment.

I think the proposed variants by izzythepush are good (such as looking at it in a historical context), you could also ask your parents vs. their parents, or your parents vs. your friends to get “general attitudes”, or thinking of what you would like in a friend if it was a platonic-life partner. I know a lot of ace people feel deeply attracted to friends but purely in a friend sense (as in they just want to hang out with them all the time, be friends, get nervous when they’re around. I totally get it, I had so many ‘platonic crushes’ that I didn’t really understand at the time!). I think whatever you propose to do, you should check with your teacher first.

Remember, if the teacher gives you a poor grade based on you not completing it because you’ve been unable to as an ace person, then that is discrimination on the basis of sexuality. Unfortunately the school system is cisheteronormative, and it’s up to people like you and me to argue that such curriculums do not fit our educational needs.

The question does seem unfair to non-cishet people, or people who would be adverse to marriage. It could have definitely be shaped in a different way, or made far less personal so that students aren’t forced to disclose private information.

My DMs are open if you want to send me a private message rather than discuss this privately!
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 07:52 am
@JustAnAce,
So ignoring all the side bars -- what did you decide to do? And how has it worked - more hoping you had a positive outcome than anything else.

I think only you can determine which option you are most comfortable with.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 09:13 am
@glitterbag,
You are using the phrase "primitive cultures" in a derogatory way. And you are painting traditional practices of these cultures in the most barbaric way possible.

You are denigrating the cultures of real people; Native Americans, Asians, traditional African societies, Aboriginal Australian and Middle Eastern communities. You aren't part of these cultures, and you have no real insight into how they work or how people function. Your judgment is based on a very shallow set of points based on a Western European world view.

I think referring to indigenous cultures as primitive as a way of discounting their cultueal values and experiences is simplistic.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 02:55 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No one is selling nuclear weapons to anyone.

Although Trump has wanted to peddle ((for profit) the technology to places such as Saudi Arabia.

And don't forget Halliburton and Uncle Dickie Cheney looking to sell to Iran
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 04:51 pm
@Sturgis,
That is incorrect. Trump is not trying to sell nuclear weapons technology to anyone.

Dick Cheney did not try to sell nuclear weapons technology to anyone either.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 05:16 pm
Oralloy is using semantics to obscure the truth. Trump is actively promoting a deal to give the Saudis nuclear technology and enrich Jared Kushner, which is just a way of giving them nuclear weapons through the back door.

Quote:
Senior Trump administration officials pushed a project to share nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia over the objections of ethics officials, according to a congressional report, in a move that could have benefitted a company which has since provided financial relief to the family of Jared Kushner.

Citing whistleblowers within the US government, the report by the Democrat-led House oversight and reform committee alleges “abnormal acts” in the White House regarding the proposal to build dozens of nuclear reactors across the kingdom.

The committee on Tuesday opened an investigation into the allegations, which include concerns over whether White House officials in the early months of the Trump administration sought to work around national security procedures to push a Saudi deal that could have financially benefited close supporters of the US president.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-administration-saudi-arabia-nuclear-deal-jared-kushner-666-fifth-avenue-westinghouse-a8787786.html

It's the sort of criminality we've come to expect from this corrupt president.
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 05:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Oralloy is using semantics to obscure the truth.

Nope. I'm using facts to point out the truth.

izzythepush wrote:
Trump is actively promoting a deal to give the Saudis nuclear technology and enrich Jared Kushner, which is just a way of giving them nuclear weapons through the back door.

No it isn't.

To quote from my first post:

it's still amazing that these deranged leftists thought that a western light water reactor is some sort of proliferation danger.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. The left was the source of all that retarded "radioactive atomicity" gibberish a decade or so ago, so this current nonsense is true to form.

izzythepush wrote:
It's the sort of criminality we've come to expect from this corrupt president.

It's illegal to let other countries have western light water reactors?

Since when?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2019 01:43 pm
@JustAnAce,
Tell them to mind their own business and they haven’t the right to ask such personal matters.
0 Replies

JustAnAce

Reply Fri 10 May, 2019 10:14 pm
@JustAnAce,
I just scrolled through this and remembered I never said what I did. I. Wrote where I was supposed to list qualities that I wasn't comfortable answering the question.
My school is very accepting of LGBTQ+, we even have a GSA club that I'm (behind my parents back) a part of. When I got the paper back the teacher had written that she understood and I didn't get any points marked off because, on a joint assignment with that, I explained that I wasn't attracted to anyone without directly stating anything about sexuality.
This is a school where teachers hang signs outside there doors to let students know their room is a safe space where they can identify how they wish. I'm partially open about my sexuality at school, but I never let anything out that can be traced back to me by my parents. Students and teachers won't say anything about something the student may be keeping secret unless the student absolutely states the parents know, involving names, gender, sexuality, etc. As long as the student isn't at risk and it doesn't affect their grades or hurt anyone, people are accepting. I'm one of those people who just can't lie well or make up something fake, so answering falsely was never really an option. I'm glad the teacher understands, though.
0 Replies