Death Penalty Opponents, This Is Who You Champion

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Washington DC has the toughest gun laws and other such restrictions as anyplace in the country and has one of the highest crime and murder rates in the country. The same is similar for neighboring communities in that area.

The State of Utah has some of the most lenient gun laws and other such restrictions and one of the lowest state crime rates in the country.

Catron County NM passed a county ordinance making it mandatory that all the residents own at least one hand gun or rifle. Murder rate. Zero. Crime rate, virtually zero.

I think the prevalance of weapons has little or nothing to do with it. I think it is values, culture, and tolerance for human misbehavior that makes the difference.

Don't know about Catron County, but New Mexico ranks 17th when it comes to murder rates. That's more than 300% of what it is in England. I don't know how many are gun related, but making it mandatory to own a gun? What would be the purpose of that? Really, I've got no clue!

Utah ranks 40th. Well. I'm tempted to say that Utah is somewhat different from the other states. As far as I know, even if they don't have lenient laws when it comes to polygamy, it's still being practised.

I will read up on Catron County, though!

Do you own a gun, Foxy?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:31 pm
Linkat wrote:
Old Europe - I agree - lowering the amounts of weapons would lower murder and in most areas are a major factor. There just are other factors that contribute to the rate of murder than just simply amounts of weapons. And I am a proponent of weapon bans especially certain types of fire arms that have no other purpose than to kill other people.

The problem with strict gun laws is that does ensure these guns are not available. It just makes them illegal.

Linkat, I wouldn't claim that the amount of guns owned is the only reason for crimes being committed. But living in a society where virtually nobody owns a gun would definitely make me feel safer than living somewhere where it'd be mandatory to own a gun.

I agree that banning guns wouldn't ensure non-availability. But you would have to invest quite some (criminal) energy in order to get hold of a weapon, I'd say.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 12:48 pm
OE writes
Quote:
making it mandatory to own a gun? What would be the purpose of that? Really, I've got no clue

Catron country is out in a wilderness area with lots of spaces and few faces and law enforcement is spread way too thin to be effective. So the ranchers, who are pretty much all who occupy Catron Country, decided to make sure the county was well armed and then put the word out that it was. It apparently worked because the mischief makers generally don't tarry long there. All those spaces makes vigilante justice look more feasable than it looks in more densely populated areas. For instance my nephew operates his spread on roughly 3.6 million acres of owned and leased land and his is practically a hobby farm. Smile

Now mind you, there were as many, if not more, firearms per family in 1960 than there are now, but the crime rate, including the murder rate, was a fraction of what it is now.

Quote:
The United States Crime Index Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants went from 1,887.2 in 1960 to 5,897.8 in 1991. By 1991 the crime rate was 313% the 1960 crime rate. In 1996 your risk of being a victim of a crime in the United States was 5.079%, and of a violent crime 0.634%.
In 1960 these rates were 1.89% of being a victim of a crime and 0.161% of becoming victim of a violent crime.

Our Index of Crime Statistics cover the period from 1960 to 2000. They cover the total reported crime, and compare population to the total crime reported by Index. Categories include Property, Murder, Forcible Rape, Robbery, Aggravated assault, Burglary, Larceny-theft, and Vehicle theft.
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/USCRIME.jpg

Considering this, it would seem there are more factors at play than gun ownership. The prevalence of illegals in the southern border states has been a significant factor in the crime rate. And so has the prevalence of gangs and a 'victim mentality' born of the 60's. Some believe it is a factor that religious values that once provided a degree of checks on antisocial behavior are almost extinct in the public sector.

But it's really hard to make a case that it is the guns.

And yes, we have guns in the house and we know how to use them. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:02 pm
Stats on Catron County, NM

I suppose it would be much easier to have such a law as there is only about 3,500 people. Make is 88% white, less than a percent black, about 2% native American, about 1% Asian and the rest from other races.

And after doing a little research, Catron County actually does not have a law requiring a gun. Here is a quoteÂ…" a resolution urging every household to own a gun. It's a protest against gun-control laws and a tool in Catron's war of nerves over cattle grazing. Originally, the county commission considered an ordinance requiring gun ownership. That got watered down after some locals complained such an ordinance would be as repressive as forbidding gun ownershipÂ…" http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=550
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Considering this, it would seem there are more factors at play than gun ownership. The prevalence of illegals in the southern border states has been a significant factor in the crime rate. And so has the prevalence of gangs and a 'victim mentality' born of the 60's. Some believe it is a factor that religious values that once provided a degree of checks on antisocial behavior are almost extinct in the public sector.

I agree that there are more factors to it than just availability of guns. On the other hand, Louisiana for example doesn't have the a 'southern border', and I'm not sure about a prevalence of gangs in Louisiana neither. Nevertheless, a murder rate of 13 per 100.000.

Foxfyre wrote:
But it's really hard to make a case that it is the guns.

I don't think it is:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/Handguns2.GIF

I mean, what else is the big difference between Europe and the US? Immigrants? No. That religious values aren't as important any more? No. The new EU constitution doesn't even mention god.
Seriously, where would you see the big difference?

Foxfyre wrote:
And yes, we have guns in the house and we know how to use them. Smile

Oh. Hm. I really did like New Mexico a lot. But I guess I'd rather not get too close to your house next time I'm there, huh?

Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:45 pm
Linkat, you're probably right on your research. I was watching the initial push for the law in Catron County with interest and most thought it would pass, but I don't remember ever following up on what actually happened in the end. It was presented in the Albuquerque papers as pretty much a done deal at the time though. It even made Paul Harvey. Smile

OE, that the right to own firearms is a constitutional right no doubt accounts for a prevalence of guns here and the sheer prevalence no doubt accounts for that being the weapon of choice by those who have it in mind to commit crimes, including murder. I don't know of any statistics showing that crime would be any less if there were no hand guns or firearms in general; there would just be less crime committed with guns. I feel safer in a society where law abiding citizens are allowed to have them rather than only the criminals having them. I would just as soon be shot as firebombed or dynamited or knifed or bludgeoned or many other creative ways that people can be attacked or murdered.

In fact, very few of our more notorious murders are committed with a firearm.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:11 pm
Oh, and OE, I almost never shoot anybody unless they play really obnoxious loud music. It's perfectly safe to come around. Smile
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
OE, that the right to own firearms is a constitutional right no doubt accounts for a prevalence of guns here and the sheer prevalence no doubt accounts for that being the weapon of choice by those who have it in mind to commit crimes, including murder. I don't know of any statistics showing that crime would be any less if there were no hand guns or firearms in general; there would just be less crime committed with guns. I feel safer in a society where law abiding citizens are allowed to have them rather than only the criminals having them. I would just as soon be shot as firebombed or dynamited or knifed or bludgeoned or many other creative ways that people can be attacked or murdered.

In fact, very few of our more notorious murders are committed with a firearm.

The Second Amendment is cited a lot. But of course, it doesn't grant the right to own firearms. It says:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Keep and bear arms. Therefore I would have the right to assemble a nuke in my garage. And keep it. Right?

Re statistics: I don't know. As there are no states were firearms are banned, we would have to stick to the comparison US-Europe. Do you agree?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh, and OE, I almost never shoot anybody unless they play really obnoxious loud music. It's perfectly safe to come around. Smile

And I don't usually play obnoxious loud music! Hey, awesome! I'll let you know when I'll be around!!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 04:41 pm
goodfielder wrote:
MysteryMan it sounds as if you want to re-define murder.

If reckless behaviour begets the death penalty then that means that the offence of manslaughter will be repealed.

So if A kills B recklessly then it's murder and the death penalty will follow.

Is that it?

Let me make this as simple as I can.
If you are over 16,and you commit a crime,ANY CRIME,that either accidently or intentionally results in the death of an innocent person,then you deserve the death penalty,period.
The only exception would be a person under duress,or the mentally retarded.

By duress I mean that if your family is being threatened with harm if you dont commit a particular crime,thats duress.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 07:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
MysteryMan it sounds as if you want to re-define murder.

If reckless behaviour begets the death penalty then that means that the offence of manslaughter will be repealed.

So if A kills B recklessly then it's murder and the death penalty will follow.

Is that it?

Let me make this as simple as I can.
If you are over 16,and you commit a crime,ANY CRIME,that either accidently or intentionally results in the death of an innocent person,then you deserve the death penalty,period.
The only exception would be a person under duress,or the mentally retarded.

By duress I mean that if your family is being threatened with harm if you dont commit a particular crime,thats duress.

Glad you made it simple. Very simple. Simplistic in fact. But of course no legislature would take any notice of it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:01 pm
Maybe they should.
After all,the best way to eliminate crime is to eliminate criminals.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:03 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Maybe they should.
After all,the best way to eliminate crime is to eliminate criminals.

No.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:13 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If ... you commit a crime, ANY CRIME, that either accidently or intentionally results in the death of an innocent person, then you deserve the death penalty,period.

so does the crime accidentally cause the death ?

or are you trying to suggest that accidentally causing a death is a crime ?

Neither makes sense, but it's interesting trying to figure out how you're thinking.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:17 pm
ehBeth wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
If ... you commit a crime, ANY CRIME, that either accidently or intentionally results in the death of an innocent person, then you deserve the death penalty,period.

so does the crime accidentally cause the death ?

or are you trying to suggest that accidentally causing a death is a crime ?

Neither makes sense, but it's interesting trying to figure out how you're thinking.

If you try to rob a convenience store,and the cashier drops dead from fright,a heart attack,stress anything during the commission of the crime,then you are responsible for that death.
That means you get the death penalty.
If you use a gun,and accidently shoot and kill someone during the crime,you get the death penalty.
Is that easy enough to understand?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:24 pm
If you dress up at Halloween and your grandpa dies from a heart attack upon seeing you, you get the death penalty.

If you spill your Coke in a McD's and somebody slips and breaks his neck, you get the death penalty.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:25 pm
You've painted yourself into quite an entertaining corner, mysteryman.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:25 pm
old europe wrote:
If you dress up at Halloween and your grandpa dies from a heart attack upon seeing you, you get the death penalty.

If you spill your Coke in a McD's and somebody slips and breaks his neck, you get the death penalty.

Grow up!!!
Neither of the things you mentioned are crimes.
Dont try to put words in my mouth!!!
I am talking about criminal acts,nothing more.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:27 pm
You're talking about criminal acts, like falling asleep while driving. Right? Right.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:48 pm
I liked littering/slip on a banana peel.
0 Replies