I'm Treating My Friend Like **** Because I'm Jealous

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:30 pm
Heeven wrote:
I almost ralphed on my shoes, until I read Franks post and realized there are some people I don't hate so much.

You always seem to know just the right thing to say to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:23 pm
So Kicky, maybe I missed it in a previous thread my being rather new and all, but what would you like to be doing different? I'm thinking in the very realistic sense of how do you want to change your life? Would it just be a new job in your current field? A totally new career? You seem to think about moving to a different place from what I have read in other posts. What about doing it? As long as a person is healthy and has a little money, the possiblities seem endless. I uprooted from a miserable big bucks NYC job 12 years ago to become a "dirt farmer", and couldn't be happier. Anything is possible with a little vision and a lot of determination.

So what's the plan?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:30 pm
Greenwitch, will you be going to the NYC gatherings in 2 weekends?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:37 pm
Sorry to say, I don't think I can make it. This is my busy season. I create gardens for rich people, and if I do that for 6 months straight I am free for the following 6 months to do whatever I please . Any chance of you all getting together between October and March?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:41 pm
Maybe..... I have a love of gardening and would love to talk to you about it sometime. Do you do landscape design?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
LK -We have a plant nursery and I do garden installation and environmental restoration. I specialize in creating gardens that look like they have been around 100 years, but are actually created in a week. My favorite jobs are when someone buys an old stone house or farmstead and wants me to do period gardens. Four square potagers or herbal knot gardens are common requests.

I' ll be happy to chat gardening with you (or anyone else), but be warned- once I start it's hard to shut me up.

Maybe you folks should come up to Woodstock NY for the day . It's an easy trip from NYC, if you don't do it on a Friday night when the weekenders are arriving in droves.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:51 pm
Woodstock....? Would that be easier to get to from Boston than NYC? Maybe I'll go visit my great uncle Augie and make a trip to your nursery. I love nurseries - maybe more than bookstores.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:01 pm
LK - I just tried to PM you with our website, but A2K says I have not been around long enough.

NYC is closer than Boston. We went to the NEGrows show in Feb. and the trip took almost 5 hours. I am two hours from NYC (less if you go fast on I-87). You are most welcome to visit. You might want to combine it with a visit to a county fair or one of the local festivals.

Read your profile when I was looking to PM you- I also was a nanny when I first moved to the city. I went to NYU and they didn't have housing available, so I got a nanny job in order to live in a nice neighborhood until a dorm opened up. I did it again to suppliment a low wage job in an art gallery after graduation. My husband and I decided to have pets instead of children and my American Bulldog looks a lot like your baby.

I think we have kicked Kicky out of his thread...well I tried to PM.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
Hmm, I wanna go too (I don't know if you know what I do for a living, GWitch...). I'm sure I'd love seeing your nursery and talking - A tad far away right now.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:11 pm
You're welcome also Ossobuco.

OK giving away my privacy:

www.

I will probably come back and edit it off at some point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:16 pm
Wow, that looks like a serious nursery!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
Yup - a serious ton of work, but it beats an office job.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:18 pm
I envy you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
I don't think you get to put it in a post per the Terms of Service, but you can put it in the profile...

and it looks great to me..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:27 pm
Maybe, greenwich, you should take it down now..... I have it saved anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:29 pm
I've bookmarked it.
There are some folks at Fine Gardening who'd love to check you out, GW.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:33 pm
We hear that quite a bit. I can't say I would change a thing, but we were very naive about the work load and venture capital that would be needed to keep this "simple and right livelyhood" business afloat. We are technically a successful small business, but I'm not sure I would ever attempt such a monster task again.

Actually, there is good money in landscaping and garden design. I wouldn't mind just doing that without the nursery. If that's what you love, you might want to consider doing it as a career. You don't need a formal degree, just a good knowledge of plants and design principles. I don't even do drawings anymore. You do need to run a small crew (teenagers with pick axes and shovels) and be on good terms with the local stone masons and fence guys.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
I keep forgetting other people type faster than me.

My last post was responding to littleK's.

EhBeth - FG would be great. We have been in a few magazines and a few more have been poking around the last couple of years. I don't aggressively pursue them because I have to get our gardens into perfect shape before they arrive, and I never have the time. We also get bombarded with mail order requests which we can't handle yet. Of course, getting into the trades make our mothers very proud.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
Green Witch - my mother does do just that (planning and sometimes installing gardens) - to a small degree. She was certified at Radcliff here in Cambridge.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:36 pm
I've been to Woodstock. Last year me any my friends went there for the day one time during the summer...that is a really cool little town. I loved it. I want to go again this summer.

Green Witch, in regard to your question earlier...I am completely at a loss as to what I'm going to do. I was thinking of somehow making a move back down to Florida, buying a two-family house, renting out half of it to pay my rent, trying to get another job in graphics for a while, until I can completely transform myself into a beach bum...I don't know...I keep thinking about how much I hate my job, but I have no better answers yet.

I made a deal with myself not to really worry about it until I get back from Italy though, in June. I'll figure it out after that.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled gardening discussion...
0 Replies