If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:07 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
I believe it is better to be for Jesus or other's concerns than totally self serving as yourself.
RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:20 pm
I am hard pressed to believe that people can't ever understand simple words. I WILL WRITE THEM AGAIN... I don't even KNOW that Jesus even existed but I believe in "much of" the message of Jesus... Can I write it any more plainly?

Read that three times 'till it sinks in...

You know brotherly love, love thy neighbor as thyself, don't throw stones unless you're without sin yourself, don't nail innocent people to wooden crosses or fences.

And, Jesus being about 30 and unmarried he certainly wasn't a Casanova...

You seem to forget that Matthew Shepherd was "murdered" much in the same manner as Jesus. Gays identify with Jesus today as Christians today identify with his murderers... Quite a switch huh?

Now look who is still persecuting Jesus... I choose to handle the Jesus story with grace in hopes that "IF" Jesus is/was real maybe one day he will find grace for me for whatever sins I may or may not be guilty of. I'm humble, are you?
cicerone imposter

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:27 pm
@RexRed,
RR, You also do not understand logic too well.

If you don't know if santa clause existed, but you believe in his message, what does that say about you?
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 01:57 pm
@RexRed,
Your words, not mine
0 Replies

Jason Dare

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
what if there is no Hell, only Heaven, just a thought
tenderfoot

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:56 pm
Some God spoke to me many years ago and said " There is no heaven, only hell ---"Go forth and enjoy the heaven you now live in.. cause your f--ing dead for a bloody long time mate "
cicerone imposter

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:02 pm
@tenderfoot,
Nut'n like a little bit of reality check. LOL
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I believe it is better to be for Jesus or other's concerns than totally self serving as yourself.

And we already know what the problem is about believing in things.
Jason Proudmoore

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:43 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I am hard pressed to believe that people can't ever understand simple words.

This is the first time I agree with you.

Quote:
I WILL WRITE THEM AGAIN... I don't even KNOW that Jesus even existed but I believe in "much of" the message of Jesus... Can I write it any more plainly?

If you 'believe' in Jesus teachings, it would make you a Christian.

Quote:
Read that three times 'till it sinks in...

Okay...
Quote:
You know brotherly love, love thy neighbor as thyself, don't throw stones unless you're without sin yourself, don't nail innocent people to wooden crosses or fences.

You are cherry-picking your passages that well fit your belief...but if you want to accept those passages that Jesus taught, you also have accept these:

Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers " none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God."Corinthians 6:9-10

" If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned". John 15:6

If you think that "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" is morally sane, then why not take the message from Confucius...besides, Confucius's philosophy is way older than the ones of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
And, Jesus being about 30 and unmarried he certainly wasn't a Casanova...

That is if Jesus existed...don't assume that if you're an agnostic.

Quote:
You seem to forget that Matthew Shepherd was "murdered" much in the same manner as Jesus.

But the irony is that Jesus didn't condone homosexual behavior...you seem to be forgetting that.

Quote:
Gays identify with Jesus today as Christians today identify with his murderers... Quite a switch huh?

But homosexual murderers are justified by bigoted passages in the Bible...wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Now look who is still persecuting Jesus...

According to the Christianity, Jesus is Jehovah, the ruler of the cosmos, the all powerful...why would He even care if he is being persecuted? Better yet, why would Christianity even care if Jesus is persecuted?

Quote:
I choose to handle the Jesus story with grace in hopes that "IF" Jesus is/was real maybe one day he will find grace for me for whatever sins I may or may not be guilty of. I'm humble, are you?

That makes you a believer, a Christian.... not an agnostic...know the difference!

Jason Proudmoore

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Did it occur to you I don't believe the scriptures not only because of the homosexuality issues but many more... I am not an atheist ok? Unless someone shows me God's dead body I will remain an agnostic.

If you consider yourself an agnostic, you're an atheist...the definition of an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God or gods...so is the definition of an agnostic...you can't just believe something and not believe in the same thing at the same time and in the same sense...you're confused!
RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:00 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Jason an atheist believes there is no God and an agnostic confesses that they are not sure. An agnostic leaves the door open to swing either way where an atheist has shut the door completely on any idea of God.

While science is uncertain, though often doubtful, of God's existence an atheists thinks he knows more than what is unknown in science. Thus, and atheist without any real proof that God does not exist denies any chance that God may in fact exist though be in hiding, is sleeping, once existed and has died or prefers to remain aloof.
RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:09 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
And we already know what the problem is about believing in things.

And what exactly is the problem about believing in things?

Facts are things, statistics are things, proof is a thing, nail holes in someones hands are things too....
RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:16 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
If you 'believe' in Jesus teachings, it would make you a Christian.

No more than if you have a dirty thought that makes you a pervert.

Quote:
You are cherry-picking your passages that well fit your belief...

That is why I said I believe in SOME of the message of Jesus but I guess you read over that word SOME... And you deny it all to fit your belief? Who is being more fair and open minded?

Quote:
but if you want to accept those passages that Jesus taught, you also have accept these

Why? Can't I be a free thinker and believe in what my heart says is right and reject what I feel is wrong? Why do I have to do anything you or others think is what a good Christians is stereotyped into being? With so many Christians religions who is going to dictate what a Christian really is? Apparently you think you can dictate that.

Just because I believe in some of Confucianism or Buddha doesn't make me Asian...

Just because I believe in SOME of what Mohamed said in the Quran to be true does not mean I am a devout Muslim.

Just because I believe Joan of Arch was a brave woman does not mean I believe in her visions from God. And because I don't believe in her visions does not mean I believe she should have been burned at the stake... Why is that fact that I believe in SOME of Jesus' message such a superlative to you that you think you can label me as a Christian? I also believe in many things George Washington said to be true too but I do not think George Washington was God and coming back to save us in a cloud...

You make too many assumptions about me and in the end you trip on your own rope. I am not what you think I am just because it fits what you want me to be.

Quote:
Because the Bible says this:

Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers " none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God."Corinthians 6:9-10

Paul wrote that not Jesus... Did I say I believed in SOME of what Jesus is purported to have said? I did not say I believed in everything the Bible says.. Perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote again.

I also agree with some of What Paul the apostle wrote even though SOME of the writings attributed to him are anti gay? WHY? Because I'm a fair person.

That means I should not love my neighbor and do unto others the same kindness as I would have done unto me?

What of faith hope and charity?

The Bible also says this:
Philippians 4:8 KJV
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Comment: Should I disregard that because Paul was a homophobe? NO.

Just because you disagree with the untruth that means you can throw away the truth and live like hell? NO.

Quote:
But the irony is that Jesus didn't condone homosexual behavior...you seem to be forgetting that.

Can you quote me a scripture where Jesus condemned homosexuality? NO because there are none... You are apparently not aware that Jesus healed a roman centurions homosexual boy lover from a deadly disease. Jesus also praised a pagan Samaritans's good deeds over a pharisee, because it was the sabbath the pharisee refused to help a pagan beat up and thrown in the gutter for dead. And Jesus stopped a mob of people from stoning a prostitute.

Also it says Jesus was a friend to sinners... Are you a friend to sinners? Who is cherry picking? Perhaps you are finding the worst stuff on Jesus and the Bible (Just as CI should examine his motives for his crusade against everything biblical) so you don't have to accept what was good? Would you want someone to magnify the mistakes you have made in your life over what good you have done after you are gone?

Quote:
But homosexual murderers are justified by bigoted passages in the Bible...wouldn't you agree?

My point was that they don't get their hate from Jesus... Quite the contrary. But you seem to hate Jesus and he did not condemn homosexuals... Go figure... I usually need to have a reason to hate a person rather than blame them for what others say in other parts of the Bible.

If Jesus was a homosexual perhaps I am saved by his blood. And that is why I do not hate him as you seem to do.

Quote:
According to the Christianity, Jesus is Jehovah, the ruler of the cosmos, the all powerful...why would He even care if he is being persecuted? Better yet, why would Christianity even care if Jesus is persecuted?

I asked if you cared that you are persecution him... Does it matter what others do and believe if the mob is wrong? Do you throw stones at an innocent man if he is a bum or god just because others do?

Quote:

That makes you a believer, a Christian.... not an agnostic...know the difference!

I did not say Jesus was God or not. I said I believe in SOME of his massage... And somehow that makes you think because I admire some of the words that the bible attributes to him that I have to believe everything written in the book. The nice thing about religious freedom is that some people think for themselves.

Jesus said in the Bible, "It is not I who doeth these miracles but the father that worketh within me..." Some "Christians" do not believe that the Bible teaches that Jesus was God.. As an agnostic I can say, "I don't know..." OK? How about if you know the difference...

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:19 pm
To me, an agnostic is a deist entertaining doubts.
RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
An agnostic can be of any faith entertaining doubts or they can be an atheist entertaining faith... Smile

The thing is that an agnostic is open minded to either way the ball may swing at any given moment. "Tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine"

Shifting sands in the desert of speculation.
edgarblythe

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:37 pm
@RexRed,
A genuine atheist never entertains faith.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:41 pm
@RexRed,
A genuine theist never entertains doubt.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:43 pm
I think that agnostic resides somewhere between the tortoise and the hare... Smile
Intrepid

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:45 pm
@RexRed,
Never catching either one.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps the deist and agnostic are cousins because of their reverence for knowledge over the pure blind faith of religionists.