If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

neologist

Thu 19 May, 2005 11:29 am
Setanta wrote:
So long as you don't make it boring . . .
I try to entertain!
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Well, then what happens to doggies when they die?
My dog Stanley died a few years back. He was a good ol dog. I'd come home from diggin ditches and he'd be all a jumpin and a barkin. Jes wormed my heart. He used to figger twas his job to skeer way all them V hikles what kept buzzin by our here home. One day he cot one. Twas a mess twas. Any ways, ol Stanley's in a hole the kids n me dug in the backyard. Joe Sixpack come over to pray a prayer and I said thanks and we give the kids some pepsi whilst Joe n me popped a cool one. Joe said."Hey don't the word hole sound a lot like the word hell?" I wonder.
0 Replies

xingu

Thu 19 May, 2005 02:24 pm
They are with the Light (God if you wish) as are all other souls. Most all souls return to the Light.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 19 May, 2005 04:55 pm
xingu wrote:
They are with the Light (God if you wish) as are all other souls. Most all souls return to the Light.
I gotta tell you the light sounds pretty boring. If I had my druthers, I'd want to stay here and feel the grass between my toes and my grandchildren in my arms. I'm pretty sure they would rather have me here too. But of course I did promise to take them to see Star Wars.
0 Replies

xingu

Thu 19 May, 2005 04:59 pm
Well as things stand I would rather be here as well. I am not one of those minority that has had a NDE. Many who have would disagree with your position. But not I.
0 Replies

xingu

Thu 19 May, 2005 05:00 pm
It is now time to see Alton Brown. Won't get that in the Light's dimension.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Fri 20 May, 2005 06:17 am
Cool grass and star wars...all in one...I think we're on to something! Smile
0 Replies

headofthefield

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:19 pm
Yeah, Star Wars.....That's a good one.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Neo, I am sorry for your loss of Stanley, the almighty dog that he was.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Fri 20 May, 2005 12:27 pm
Anyways, to answer the question at hand. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice to the world to save us from our sins. He was not meant to destroy hell. Hell itself is intended for those who don't except Jesus Christ as their savior.(all of that is a very short summary by the way)
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 20 May, 2005 01:03 pm
headofthefield wrote
Quote:
Hell itself is intended for those who don't except Jesus Christ as their savior

Here we go again another one spouting some more intolerant religious horse crap.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 May, 2005 01:08 pm
Headofthefield: If one were to except JC as their savior, that would mean he were excluded. I believe the word you want is "accept." This is not petty quibbling, either. If you expect to make a case here which others will deem worthy of consideration, you need to avoid fundamental mistakes of this character.
0 Replies

au1929

Fri 20 May, 2005 01:26 pm
I did not notice what could have been a Freudian slip. I am just getting sick and tired hearing this F***ing horseshit from the religious humperdinks on this forum.

Are you guys going to be suprised when you are not let in because you bet on the wrong horse. Surprised
I got it from informed sources that the guardian of the pearly gate wears a skull cap and has earlocks. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 May, 2005 01:37 pm
No, Au, you have misunderstood. You merely quoted Headofthefield, who originally made the error. I have edited my post to indicate that i was addressing him (?).
0 Replies

xingu

Fri 20 May, 2005 02:02 pm
Rules of the Christian God;

It's my way or no way.

If you don't believe in me you can go to Hell.

I wonder what this world would be like if all humans were "perfect", like the Christian God; you know what I mean; had his attitude, tolerance and humanity.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 May, 2005 05:36 pm
au1929 wrote:
Are you guys going to be suprised when you are not let in because you bet on the wrong horse. Surprised
I got it from informed sources that the guardian of the pearly gate wears a skull cap and has earlocks. Laughing
Excuse me. But are you saying there is a life after death? If so, is it a religious belief?
0 Replies

au1929

Sat 21 May, 2005 06:42 am
neologist
If you are asking do I believe in God. The answer is I am inclined to or if you will I sure hope so. I hate to think that this is all there is. In any event at my age I am not too far from finding out.
However, do I believe in organized religion , mans vision of God and the BS rituals they have devised to honor him? Absolutely not.
IMO religion and a belief in a supreme being are separate and distinct.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 21 May, 2005 07:09 am
Au, I think we agree on organized religion. I don't believe it is God's fault that his 'representatives' have defamed him. I do believe it must be possible for even the least sophisticated of us to learn the truth.
Setanta wrote:
That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Sat 21 May, 2005 05:21 pm
God is perfect. He does not want to send people to Hell, He just cannot look upon sin. That is why there is a hell. Jesus died to forgive us (regardless of your opinion on this matter au1929, that's the subject of this discussion; if you don't want to hear of Jesus' sacrifice, then you shouldn't be in this thread). That doesn't mean that we're automatically assured of heaven. Just because I give someone a key to a door does not mean that he or she are going to use that key to open the door. That person may just throw the key away and not go through the door at all. Unfortunately, that's what many people are doing to Jesus.

From a Biblical perspective (NIV) (certain people might want to ignore this, especially if they are extremely prejudiced against the Bible):

Romans 6:23a wrote:
For the wages of sin is death...

Mankind may look on some sins being worse than others, but God does not look at sin that way. You commit one sin, you are going to Hell. It's that simple. However, the verse continues to say this:

Romans 6:23b wrote:
...but the gift of God is eternal life in* Christ Jesus our Lord.

* or through

If you accept Jesus, then you are guarenteed to go to heaven. That said, one can't simply be baptized and live a sinful life expecting to go to heaven on a free ride. One must continually work to practice the life of a Christian at all times.
0 Replies

xingu

Sun 22 May, 2005 06:11 am
The God you believe in is not perfect. He's very flawed. He's jealous, bad-tempered, selfish and vengeful (it's all in the Bible). He kills innocent children and fetuses in pregnant women's bodies (it's all in the Bible). He had all of the inhabitants of Jericho slaughtered just so his "chosen" can have their land. Is this what you call perfection, having one group of humans murder another? Is this what your Christianity is all about, praising a God that kills?

You say your God can't stand to look at sin. That's another weakness of your God. His flaw is a mental and intellectual flaw. In short, he's kind of stupid.

When you looks at the population of the earth and the billions of people that occupy it how can anyone expect everyone to be perfect? Each and every human is unique, different. In theory there can only be one perfect. For all of the worlds population to be perfect they would have to be clones of the one that is perfect. On top of that no one knows what perfect is. And then you tell us that God can't stand to look upon this imperfection? How incredibly stupid of God to take such a position, knowing full well that no one can be perfect. Not only stupid but inhumane and cruel because you say this God of yours is going to sent people to Hell and make them suffer because of their religious beliefs. My God man, if that is the case then America is an evil nation because we believe in religious tolerance and freedom of thought.

Your God hates that!

God of the Bible's imperfection is far worse then humans when you see, by the Bible's word, that the only solution your God has for all the problems that confront him is to kill and slaughter people.

We should be very thankful that many humans on this planet are not like your God; they're better then your God. They believe in freedom of thought, religion and have tolerance for those who are of different religious beliefs and sexual orientation. It's a pity that your God can't measure up to those standards.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 22 May, 2005 06:18 am
Xingu the Mighty, deliverer of Xingers wrote:
Your God hates that!

Said God hates a good deal.

Bishop Burnet is an important source for the Stuart restoration. He once wrote to his friend about King Charles, writing that the King had told him: "The only things that God hates are that we be evil and that we design mischief."

Burnet had commented that the King "has a strange notion of God's love." Indeed--i do not doubt that the good Bishop felt that were a great many more things which God hates. I am confident that the Bishop had quite an extensive list in mind.

After all, what fun is God if you cannot use him to strike down your enemies, smite them hip and thigh, and lay about you not only with a will, but with true christian zeal?
0 Replies