If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

revelette3

Sun 23 May, 2021 01:33 pm
@hightor,
Well, if you think Jesus was merely another person, then it would be very hard to be convinced Jesus has the power to wipe away sins when he died on the cross. I assuming you don't believe in any of it? That it is all made up stories like Prince Charming and Cinderella?

It is like a quote in Bible which I quote quite often cause I find it so apt. "what did you come to the mountain to see?"

If you read the beginning of John the gospel, it talks about who Jesus was/is in the very first verse.

Quote:
John 1:1 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It goes on to say the "Word dwelt among us" referring the Jesus Christ. From the beginning it was known Jesus would die for the sins of the whole world and only He could do it because he was both Man and God. On earth he was the Son of Man and the Son of God came about by a miracle of the Holy Ghost. If a person accepts that, then they could easily be convinced that Jesus was able to take away our sins if we believed in him and had faith in the life and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I have no trouble with that. What I have trouble with is when I think of other faiths and people who are good but live in such a way that is contrary to what the Bible says of how we are live. I wonder how it all be right and if it is not all right and there is only one right so to speak, how to make sense of it all? I mean people believe in what they know and are around and according to their cultural so to speak. It just seems wrong to say so many people are just wrong and are going to hell. I can't bring myself to say or think about it or believe it so I put those thoughts out of my head and just accept what feels right to me personally and hope that somehow it is all kind of right and one day we will understand it when we die.
izzythepush

Sun 23 May, 2021 01:44 pm
@revelette3,
Jesus is a latest in a line of sacrificial gods, Osiris, Marduk and Odin all sacrificed themselves for humanity.

He followed the path already trod by a host of pagan deities.
Leadfoot

Sun 23 May, 2021 01:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
On the one hand, there is the “eternal” fire described in Matthew, but then you refer to temporal effects, e.g., dust and gasses that result from the combustion of fuel, that result from fire’s temporal sense, a process not mentioned in the Matthew passage. This is a contradiction, a product of a lack of reasoning. The rationalization comes from the subjective desire to reconcile the Hebrew texts about Sheol with the Greek texts about Hades.
It’s always a dead giveaway when people tell others what their motives are. It’s called 'projection'. You accuse me of doing exactly what YOU are doing. You think I am trying to reconcile the old and new testaments so you invent a scenario where you claim I twisted things to look that way.

You need to quote the texts you claim I’m doing this with, if your argument is valid.

Furthermore, The point of view I gave is the one where there was no contradiction. Point out what about my POV is 'twisting things' not just make the claim I’m doing it.

To recap, I made the claim that ‘everlasting fire' means that it’s effects are permanent and that is consistent with hell being 'the second death' as it says elsewhere. I see no violation of reason or logic there.
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 01:57 pm
I have a choice and no matter what I still love. Whether it be a man or a woman it's still love. I get to choose. My mind and my heart trick and deceive me. I listen, but the soft whisper is so hard to hear maybe I just want to hear myself. I want to live, but I am trapped in a life that is really not living. It's my choice how do I choose. I want to love, but love is a choice and does that mean my choice is wrong. The path is narrow and I am not righteous, but the path was made for me because I am broken. I am lost and I know I don't have to be alone,, but it always feels that way.
Leadfoot

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:09 pm
@Llednew1977 ,
Quote:
I don't have to be alone,, but it always feels that way.
. Sometimes it does. There are times when you are called on to stand alone when everyone, friends, family, government and society stand against you. Job comes to mind.
But even then, Job knew God was there.
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:09 pm
Jesus is the bridge. It was spoken into the void. He is and and always will be be and thank God is to come . We are.made pure because of the blood of the lamb. Jesus. I GOD is the only one who is without sin. I wish I wasn't, but I will always fall short
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:13 pm
@Llednew1977 ,
To wait on your knee and to give up everything is very hard. I wish it wasn't that way but it is. We are all born into sin. I wish my flesh and my spirit didn't fight
Leadfoot

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:14 pm
@Llednew1977 ,
What do you think you are being asked to give up?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:19 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
That it is all made up stories like Prince Charming and Cinderella?

No, I don't see it as a fairy tale. I think there are some fanciful aspects based on the limits of knowledge at the time in addition to the need to make Jesus the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophecies. I think the story was substantially edited and embellished until the early 4th century and the Nicene Creed. But no, it's not just a fantasy.
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
God told the enemy that Job would never denounce Him. The enemy had to ask permission from God before everything was taken from Job. It's always a choice that we are given.
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:24 pm
@hightor,
How do you trust you mind or you heart if they are both deceitful?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:25 pm
@Llednew1977 ,
But having something taken from you is not the same as 'giving something up'.

There is no choice involved when it’s taken.
revelette3

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, well, who remembers them today? Jesus is known almost (or all) all over the world, to this day. I doubt those lived in Jesus's time who didn't believe would have thought Jesus would be remembered this long.
revelette3

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:42 pm
@hightor,
OK, I can understand your point of view. It doesn't affect mine, but I get it and other such views expressed.
0 Replies

Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 03:29 pm
We all have a choice. Our flesh wants to sin our spirit wants to rejoice we are torn I wish it was so easy.
izzythepush

Sun 23 May, 2021 03:40 pm
@revelette3,
Thor has his own movie franchise.
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 03:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Something taken from you it hurts and maybe doesn't make sense. God is good maybe man thinks he is above God. When you know you cannot unknow
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 23 May, 2021 03:42 pm
@Llednew1977 ,
Maybe I’m too old to remember.

Happy trails
Llednew1977

Sun 23 May, 2021 03:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
I'm scared to jump out of the boat. I can't do it alone. The waves are to high, I am so small. I want to jump., but I'm so scared
0 Replies

revelette3

Sun 23 May, 2021 04:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, but no one considers him real. For good or ill, Christianity, Judaism and Islam are real religions which the world accepts as real religions and has for centuries.