If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:13 pm
@Glennn,
said- "I see. So, there's no eternal punishment for not connecting with Jesus"
---------------------------------------------------------------

If you're a nonchristian you better hope and pray you're right and Jesus is wrong..Wink
Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:19 pm
@Harry Blake,
What part of your god is quenched by the never-ending torture of created beings? And what part of you is inclined to love and worship such a being?
Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
said- "..its the common Christian figure of God almighty that I don't like.."
---------------------------------------------------------

Jesus said - "..the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
And went on to say- "Love God, love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

So they were the words of God himself, spoken through Jesus!
Which bits don't you like?

0 Replies

Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:27 pm
@Glennn,
said- "What part of your god is quenched by the never-ending torture of created beings? And why would you love and worship such a being anyway?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said, he's not a wishy-washy lefty social worker..Smile
Think of Judgment Day as the day he throws out the trash (murderers, thieves, rapists, peedos, terrorists, con men, corrupt politicians, Jesus-rejecters etc).

"..dogs, pigs. " (Matt 7:6)
"weeds" (Matt 13:38 )
"brute beasts," (2 Peter 2:12)
"heathens" (Jer 10:2)
"fools" (Psa 94:8 )
"liars" (1 John 2:22/23)
"minds defiled" (Titus 1:15)

Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:37 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
Like I said, he's not a wishy-washy lefty social worker

You're attempting to put lipstick on a sadistic being. You are equating the act of subjecting beings to endless torture with being non-wishy washy. You're being silly.

And that's not what I asked you anyway. Here, try again, and this time focus on the questions.

What part of your god is quenched by the never-ending torture of created beings? And what part of you is inclined to love and worship such a being?
Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:50 pm
@Glennn,
said- "Here, try again, and this time focus on the questions..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already answered twice as simply as I can, so it's not my fault if you can't or won't grasp it! I could quote reams of Bible passages and verses at you to try to impress you but that's not my style, you'll have to find some fundy cultist or spiritual snob to give you stuff like that if you want it.
Remember, think SIMPLE..Smile
Paul said - "I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)
"And the common people heard him [Jesus] gladly" (Mark 12:37)

Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:53 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
I've already answered twice as simply as I can,

Could you direct me to the posts in which you answered these questions?

What part of your god is quenched by the never-ending torture of created beings?

And what part of you is inclined to love and worship such a being?
Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:05 pm
@Glennn,
said- "Could you direct me to the posts in which you answered these questions?
What part of your god is quenched by the never-ending torture of created beings?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What makes you think God gets pleasure from slinging failed human beings into hell? I'm sure that after he's thrown them out with the trash he doesn't give them a second thought!
Yup, I kinda like him because of his toughness, nobody better mess with him!
If people don't like him they'd better go worship some Fairy Queen or something..Smile
cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:24 pm
@Harry Blake,
The tyrant god. Lovely.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:45 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
What makes you think God gets pleasure from slinging failed human beings into hell?

The fact that your god has chosen to do so is ample proof that it wants to. There is no rationale for the idea that he doesn't get pleasure from it; else why would he do it?
Quote:
Yup, I kinda like him

You don't love him?

Also, you've neglected to direct me to the posts in which you answered these questions?

cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 08:34 pm
@Glennn,
Doesn't it say someplace that he's a jealous god?
Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes is does. Apparently, the god was jealous of what it says doesn't exist. Jealousy indicates insecurity.
cicerone imposter

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:19 pm
@Glennn,
Somebody applied a human frailty to the god of the bible.
Glennn

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yup. And you would think that that would be a red flag to people concerning the accuracy of rest of the Bible.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 08:47 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Yes is does. Apparently, the god was jealous of what it says doesn't exist. Jealousy indicates insecurity.
Jealousy can imply two things:

1. Insecurity.
2. Concern about the wellbeing of another.

If you see someone you love hanging around with someone who you fear may be more appealing than yourself, you may experience one kind of jealousy.

If you see that same person hanging around someone you know to be a dirtbag, you may experience the other.

You might have the same outward reaction in both cases by warning the one you love to stay away from them. The motivation is completely different though. I'm inclined to think God's jealousy is the second kind.
Glennn

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 08:58 am
@Leadfoot,
You are confusing jealousy with concern. Jealousy is the result of the belief that you possess another. Concern is the result of fearing for another's safety. You can always tell the difference between jealousy and concern. When someone you're concerned about doesn't heed your warning and hurts themselves as a result, you do what you can to heal them. When you're jealous, and the object of your jealousy doesn't heed your warning about connecting with another, you will seek to punish them. That desire to punish another for rejecting you is a product of insecurity.

When the punishment for refusal to heed your warning is never-ending torture, there is no doubt as to whether the warning stems from concern or jealousy.
Glennn

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:17 am
@Glennn,
Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that the god's jealousy is the first kind.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:17 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
You are confusing jealousy with concern. Jealousy is the result of the belief that you possess another. Concern is the result of fearing for another's safety. You can always tell the difference between jealousy and concern.
There is a fine distinction between simple concern and jealous concern.

I may see a random girl hanging out with a dirtbag and feel genuine concern, but I'm not going to stick my nose in it when it isn't my place.

But if that girl is my daughter, I feel jealously concerned and I'm gonna say something. There is something different about it and it isn't insecurity.

As far as that never-ending torture crap, it's just that - total crap.
A person might feel even worse than tortured when they realize the wrong choices they made but beyond that realization, the only never-ending consequence of those mistakes is the second eternal death. The metaphors of 'eternal flames' etc. just reflects the finality of that destruction.
Glennn

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
A person might feel even worse than tortured when they realize the wrong choices they made

But in this case, what you've said does not apply. No one is going to feel anything--certainly not something worse than torture--after they die. Nonexistence doesn't hurt at all.

My posts have been directed at Harry. Harry believes in not only eternal torture, but the right of the god to subject its creation to it.
Leadfoot

Mon 8 Feb, 2016 09:55 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
But in this case, what you've said does not apply. No one is going to feel anything--certainly not something worse than torture--after they die. Nonexistence doesn't hurt at all.
The discussion more or less assumes the bible for the basis of the argument. So -

it says that the judgement, opening of the books, etc. occurs BEFORE the second death so presumably you have a chance to feel something about what is to happen. Only seems fair.

Yeah, I saw what Harry believes. He's not alone. It's still crap, or at least that part about hell, torture, etc.. The bible says he will get a chance to learn and accept the truth about that and other things during the 1000 years Jesus reigns on earth. (assuming he makes the minimum grade to attend that school).