If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

Smileyrius

Sat 9 May, 2015 04:20 am
@Patches,
Quote:
common Christian knowledge

try to keep in mind that the word knowledge indicates something knowable. As Antichrist are not named in scripture, it is mentioned even in the data you quote, all you can do is speculate.

A better way of putting it would be that it is commonly considered amongst the Christians you align yourself with. I have personally not heard of the suggestion. Rather by definition, an anti Christ is anyone "against" or "instead" of Christ. I would proffer that there have been many figures, organisations and religions throughout history that have actively worked against who Christ was or what he stood for, including many that fall under the umbrella of the title "Christians".
izzythepush

Sat 9 May, 2015 04:41 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
try to keep in mind that the word knowledge indicates something knowable. As Antichrist are not named in scripture, it is mentioned even in the data you quote, all you can do is speculate.

Others have speculated differently.

There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that antichrist, the man of sin, the son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God.

http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=antichrist_intro
Smileyrius

Sat 9 May, 2015 04:59 am
@InfraBlue,
Sorry Infra, I don't mean to tread on any toes here, but the context is broader than these verses alone.

In the 88th Psalm, David was troubled, his esteem was low, he feared his worth to God was akin to that of the sons of Korah. He spoke of them in verse 5 as "the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand"
So David suggested they had been Forgotten, and that they would not receive anything more from God.

in this context, verse 11 does not talk of the dead as forgetting. rather it he calls it the land of forgetfulness (or oblivion). But in line with verse 5 it is God who does the forgetting of that place.

That is merely how I read the text. I lead with the caveat that I have been wrong before.
neologist

Sat 9 May, 2015 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
That would be Patches' church, right?
Shocking!
Patches

Sat 9 May, 2015 10:02 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 9 May, 2015 04:36 pm
@neologist,
He seems to think Nostradamus was a Gospeller. He reminds me of Reasoning Logic, he used to post videos made for people who can't deal with reality.
neologist

Sat 9 May, 2015 04:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Ahh. Reasoning Logic. How appropriate the moniker.
Those were the days, izzy. I tell ya. Those were the days. . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 9 May, 2015 11:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

How conscious must you be to know nothing?

Well, you're conscious. . .

You're talking in circles in your avoidance of the terms at hand.

You may as well be unconscious and we'll dismiss you as dead.
neologist

Sun 10 May, 2015 12:02 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You're talking in circles . . .
Now that your assertions have turned to dust, circles are all there are left to talk about.

Smiley has provided the context of Psalm 11. And I have shown that whatever David was referring to, it could not be in opposition to Solomon's teaching in Ecclesiastes chapter 9.

Now is the time for you to slink away from the argument muttering words indicating you don't believe the Bible any way so it doesn't matter. That is your premise, right?
InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 12:14 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

Sorry Infra, I don't mean to tread on any toes here, but the context is broader than these verses alone.

In the 88th Psalm, David was troubled, his esteem was low, he feared his worth to God was akin to that of the sons of Korah. He spoke of them in verse 5 as "the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand"
So David suggested they had been Forgotten, and that they would not receive anything more from God.

Sure, that’s a valid enough reading.

Smileyrius wrote:
in this context, verse 11 does not talk of the dead as forgetting. rather it he calls it the land of forgetfulness (or oblivion). But in line with verse 5 it is God who does the forgetting of that place.

You’re conflating verse 5 with verses 10-12 what with their reference, in their questioning entreaty, to the dead and their spirits and the grave, the dark and the land of forgetfulness, within which they exist.

The text does not say "forgotten land;" it says the land of oblivion/forgetfulness, the dead and their spirits’ oblivion/forgetfulness.
InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 12:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that antichrist, the man of sin, the son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God.

http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=antichrist_intro

The world, then, is rife with antichrists.
InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 12:36 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Now that your assertions have turned to dust, circles are all there are left to talk about.

Says you, as you continue to avoid the terms being discussed.
You’d do all of us a favor by bowing out, taking with you your resorts to snide ad hominems because of the vacuity of your arguments, and letting Smiley do the talking for you.

neologist wrote:
Smiley has provided the context of Psalm 11. And I have shown that whatever David was referring to, it could not be in opposition to Solomon's teaching in Ecclesiastes chapter 9.

I’ve responded to your reading of Ecclesiastes 9 and Smiley’s conflation of Psalms 5 and 10 through 12, thank you.

neologist wrote:
Now is the time for you to slink away from the argument muttering words indicating you don't believe the Bible any way so it doesn't matter. That is your premise, right?

That’s your conclusion to the discussion of the terms at hand?
I’ve demonstrated that your dogma isn’t as cut and dried as you’d like it to appear, and you tell me to leave. Is that what Jehovah expects of his witnesses?
Smileyrius

Sun 10 May, 2015 03:45 am
@InfraBlue,
I see no reason to conclude what you are concluding, but maybe my preconceived bias and your own are creating the difference in the way we read the text.

I have respect Infra for your perspective, even if I do not share it.
neologist

Sun 10 May, 2015 05:40 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Says you, as you continue to avoid the terms being discussed.
You’d do all of us a favor by bowing out, taking with you your resorts to snide ad hominems because of the vacuity of your arguments, and letting Smiley do the talking for you.
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
I’ve responded to your reading of Ecclesiastes 9 and Smiley’s conflation of Psalms 5 and 10 through 12, thank you.
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
That’s your conclusion to the discussion of the terms at hand?
I’ve demonstrated that your dogma isn’t as cut and dried as you’d like it to appear, and you tell me to leave. Is that what Jehovah expects of his witnesses?
You're right. That was unkind. And I apologize.
However, let me turn back a page to your assertion here:

http://able2know.org/topic/49673-117#post-5949815
InfraBlue wrote:
There is no mention of consciousness or the lack thereof in the passages you cite either. Ecclesiastes 9:5 refers to knowing nothing and being forgotten. This corresponds with Psalm 88:12 what with its reference to "the land of oblivion/forgetfulness." One must be conscious to be able to be oblivious/ to forget. The tenth passage is read within that context.
This is the passage we have been addressing:
Quote:
10 Do you show your wonders to the dead? Do those who are dead rise up and praise you? "Selah" 11 Is your love declared in the grave, your faithfulness in Destruction ? 12 Are your wonders known in the place of darkness, or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?
Where did you arrive at the idea that "One must be conscious to be able to be oblivious." All of the definitions I can find of the word oblivious refer to " lacking remembrance, memory, mindful attention, active conscious knowledge, or awareness". In other words, "unconscious".

I'm sorry for my acerbic comments in this exchange. But it does seem to me that you are amidst a desperate attempt to discredit JWs' beliefs - any belief; and you will stretch your assertions until they are as thin as a Walmart paycheck.
neologist

Sun 10 May, 2015 06:10 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The world, then, is rife with antichrists.
Something on which we agree.
InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 11:01 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

I see no reason to conclude what you are concluding, but maybe my preconceived bias and your own are creating the difference in the way we read the text.

I have respect Infra for your perspective, even if I do not share it.

Fair enough.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 11:03 am
@neologist,
Again, "oblivion," here, is synonymous with "forgetfulness," specifically "the act or an instance of forgetting; total forgetfulness." (def. 2 American Heritage Dictionary). You're limiting your definition to fit your dogma.

Again, I'm pointing out the fact that your dogma isn't as cut and dried as you would have one believe and that there are other readings and interpretations of the texts at hand. If this ruffles your feathers, so be it. The desperation, as betrayed by your ad hominems, is all yours.
neologist

Sun 10 May, 2015 12:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
My feathers remain unruffled. If you can imagine consciousness in a state of total forgetfulness, you are doing quite well. I see nothing in the citations you have provided to support your claim. Nor do I see any contradiction between your citations and the many specific scriptural references to death as 'sleep' or lack of awareness. Jesus himself referred to Lazarus as having "fallen asleep" - John 11:11.

Our concept of indefinite time invites an abundance of speculation about what might happen when we die. No wonder many will accept some explanation not involving obligation to God.
InfraBlue

Sun 10 May, 2015 10:22 pm
@neologist,
M'kay.
0 Replies

Ionus

Thu 14 May, 2015 03:05 am
@Patches,
You do realise the anti-Christ concepts you speak of come from Nostradamus and not Christian Theology .
0 Replies