Should DeLay resign

parados

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
In related news of GOP bribery....

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy and tax charges involving the sale of his home two years ago to a defense contractor at an inflated price.
Source
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
I wonder how much that monstrosity [Medicare prescription drug plan} cost the pharmaceutical and insurance industries for congressional approval.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:03 pm
Cunningham was the chairman of the house subcommittee on terrorism. I wonder how much of our safety and civil liberties was sold off.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:02 pm
The apples in Washinton D.C. all have worms in them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:57 pm
I'm not sure about the "worms," but they are surely all infected with something!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:36 pm
Looks like the whole republican party members are going down the sewer. From the NYT:

November 28, 2005
Congressman Resigns After Admitting He Took Bribes
By JOHN M. BRODER
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 28 ­ Representative Randy Cunningham, a Republican from San Diego, resigned from Congress on Monday, hours after pleading guilty to taking at least $2.4 million in bribes to help friends and campaign contributors win defense contracts.

Mr. Cunningham, a highly decorated Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam, tearfully acknowledged his guilt in a statement read outside the federal courthouse in San Diego.

"The truth is, I broke the law, concealed my conduct and disgraced my office," the eight-term congressman known for his emotional outbursts and combative conservatism said. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions and, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

Mr. Cunningham, 63, pleaded guilty to one count of tax evasion and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery, tax evasion, wire fraud and mail fraud. He faces up to 10 years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and forfeitures.

Prosecutors said he received cash, cars, rugs, antiques, furniture, yacht club fees, moving expenses and vacations from four unnamed co-conspirators in exchange for aid in winning defense contracts . None of this income was reported to the Internal Revenue Service or on the congressman's financial disclosure forms, the government said.

Mr. Cunningham, who is known as Duke, lived while in Washington on a 42-foot yacht, named the Duke-Stir, owned by one of the defense contractors that received tens of millions of dollars in federal contracts that prosecutors said Mr. Cunningham helped steer its way.

Mr. Cunningham served on the defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee and as chairman of the House Intelligence subcommittee on terrorism and human intelligence.

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do," Carol C. Lam, the United States attorney, said in a statement. "He enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there." Mr. Cunningham's plea adds to the ethics cloud over the Republican-controlled Congress and the Bush White House.

In the Senate, Bill Frist, Republican of Tennessee and the majority leader, is under scrutiny by the Securities and Exchange Commission for the timing of his trades in the stock of his family's health care company. In the House, Representative Tom DeLay, Republican of Texas, was forced to step down as majority leader after he was indicted on conspiracy and money laundering charges in his home state.

In a separate Justice Department investigation, a former spokesman for Mr. DeLay, pleaded guilty last week to bribery. Prosecutors said Mr. Scanlon was part of a conspiracy to defraud Indian tribes and win legislative favors from lawmakers in return for campaign donations, meals, entertainment and other benefits. A former White House aide has also been indicted in that investigation, which is centered around Jack Abramoff, a lobbyist and ally of Mr. DeLay who worked with Mr. Scanlon. As part of his plea, Mr. Scanlon agreed to cooperate in the investigation.

In addition, I. Lewis Libby Jr., the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, was indicted last month for perjury and false statements in the investigation of the leaking of the name of a C.I.A. operative. Other White House officials, including the senior political adviser Karl Rove, remain under investigation in that case.

Democrats in Congress hope that the legal and ethical woes afflicting Republicans will weaken the party in policy debates and at the polls next November. Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the House Democratic leader, called Mr. Cunningham's acceptance of bribes an "egregious act" that was symptomatic of Republican values.

"This offense is just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Republican-controlled Congress, which ignores the needs of the American people to serve wealthy special interests and their cronies," Ms. Pelosi said in a statement.

The charging document said that in addition to the other gifts and services, Mr. Cunningham received from several unnamed co-conspirators a Rolls Royce, a graduation party for his daughter, a $200,000 down payment on a condominium and the payment of capital gains taxes on the sale of his home.

Federal authorities said that Mr. Cunningham was cooperating with the continuing investigation and that further charges involving the bribery conspiracy were likely.

Mr. Cunningham entered his plea before Judge Larry A. Burns of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. He was fingerprinted and photographed and released on his own recognizance.

Judge Burns set sentencing for Feb. 27. Mr. Cunningham, in his statement, said he expected to do time in prison. "In my life, I have known great joy and great sorrow. And now I know great shame," he said. "I cannot undo what I have done. But I can atone."

Under California law, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has 14 days to call a special election to fill Mr. Cunningham's seat. The election must occur within 120 days.

Mr. Cunningham's troubles began last summer when the Copley News Service and The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Mitchell J. Wade, the founder of MZM Inc., a defense contracting firm the defense contractor, bought Mr. Cunningham's home in Del Mar for $1,675,000 in 2003 and sold it nine months later for $975,000, a $700,000 loss.

Mr. Cunningham denied any wrongdoing in the house sale, but announced a few weeks after the reports appeared that he would not seek a ninth term in Congress in November 2006.

Mr. Cunningham used the profits from the sale to buy a luxury home in Rancho Santa Fe for $2.55 million, which he and his wife, Nancy, have since put up for sale. Under the plea agreement announced on Monday, he will forfeit the Rancho Santa Fe house and nearly $2 million in cash and home furnishings.

Carl Hulse contributed reporting from Washington for this article.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
In DC perhaps they should rename K Street "Karma Street".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:01 am
They should also change the designation from lobbyists to bag men.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:43 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Looks like the whole republican party members are going down the sewer. From the NYT:

November 28, 2005
Congressman Resigns After Admitting He Took Bribes
By JOHN M. BRODER
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 28 ­ Representative Randy Cunningham, a Republican from San Diego, resigned from Congress on Monday, hours after pleading guilty to taking at least $2.4 million in bribes to help friends and campaign contributors win defense contracts.

Mr. Cunningham, a highly decorated Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam, tearfully acknowledged his guilt in a statement read outside the federal courthouse in San Diego.

"The truth is, I broke the law, concealed my conduct and disgraced my office," the eight-term congressman known for his emotional outbursts and combative conservatism said. "I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions and, most importantly, the trust of my friends and family."

Mr. Cunningham, 63, pleaded guilty to one count of tax evasion and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery, tax evasion, wire fraud and mail fraud. He faces up to 10 years in prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and forfeitures.

Prosecutors said he received cash, cars, rugs, antiques, furniture, yacht club fees, moving expenses and vacations from four unnamed co-conspirators in exchange for aid in winning defense contracts . None of this income was reported to the Internal Revenue Service or on the congressman's financial disclosure forms, the government said.

Mr. Cunningham, who is known as Duke, lived while in Washington on a 42-foot yacht, named the Duke-Stir, owned by one of the defense contractors that received tens of millions of dollars in federal contracts that prosecutors said Mr. Cunningham helped steer its way.

Mr. Cunningham served on the defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee and as chairman of the House Intelligence subcommittee on terrorism and human intelligence.

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do," Carol C. Lam, the United States attorney, said in a statement. "He enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there." Mr. Cunningham's plea adds to the ethics cloud over the Republican-controlled Congress and the Bush White House.

In the Senate, Bill Frist, Republican of Tennessee and the majority leader, is under scrutiny by the Securities and Exchange Commission for the timing of his trades in the stock of his family's health care company. In the House, Representative Tom DeLay, Republican of Texas, was forced to step down as majority leader after he was indicted on conspiracy and money laundering charges in his home state.

In a separate Justice Department investigation, a former spokesman for Mr. DeLay, pleaded guilty last week to bribery. Prosecutors said Mr. Scanlon was part of a conspiracy to defraud Indian tribes and win legislative favors from lawmakers in return for campaign donations, meals, entertainment and other benefits. A former White House aide has also been indicted in that investigation, which is centered around Jack Abramoff, a lobbyist and ally of Mr. DeLay who worked with Mr. Scanlon. As part of his plea, Mr. Scanlon agreed to cooperate in the investigation.

In addition, I. Lewis Libby Jr., the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, was indicted last month for perjury and false statements in the investigation of the leaking of the name of a C.I.A. operative. Other White House officials, including the senior political adviser Karl Rove, remain under investigation in that case.

Democrats in Congress hope that the legal and ethical woes afflicting Republicans will weaken the party in policy debates and at the polls next November. Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the House Democratic leader, called Mr. Cunningham's acceptance of bribes an "egregious act" that was symptomatic of Republican values.

"This offense is just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Republican-controlled Congress, which ignores the needs of the American people to serve wealthy special interests and their cronies," Ms. Pelosi said in a statement.

The charging document said that in addition to the other gifts and services, Mr. Cunningham received from several unnamed co-conspirators a Rolls Royce, a graduation party for his daughter, a $200,000 down payment on a condominium and the payment of capital gains taxes on the sale of his home.

Federal authorities said that Mr. Cunningham was cooperating with the continuing investigation and that further charges involving the bribery conspiracy were likely.

Mr. Cunningham entered his plea before Judge Larry A. Burns of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. He was fingerprinted and photographed and released on his own recognizance.

Judge Burns set sentencing for Feb. 27. Mr. Cunningham, in his statement, said he expected to do time in prison. "In my life, I have known great joy and great sorrow. And now I know great shame," he said. "I cannot undo what I have done. But I can atone."

Under California law, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has 14 days to call a special election to fill Mr. Cunningham's seat. The election must occur within 120 days.

Mr. Cunningham's troubles began last summer when the Copley News Service and The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Mitchell J. Wade, the founder of MZM Inc., a defense contracting firm the defense contractor, bought Mr. Cunningham's home in Del Mar for $1,675,000 in 2003 and sold it nine months later for $975,000, a $700,000 loss.

Mr. Cunningham denied any wrongdoing in the house sale, but announced a few weeks after the reports appeared that he would not seek a ninth term in Congress in November 2006.

Mr. Cunningham used the profits from the sale to buy a luxury home in Rancho Santa Fe for $2.55 million, which he and his wife, Nancy, have since put up for sale. Under the plea agreement announced on Monday, he will forfeit the Rancho Santa Fe house and nearly $2 million in cash and home furnishings.

Carl Hulse contributed reporting from Washington for this article.

Are you forgetting about all the wonderful dems and the scandals they have been involved in?
Would you like me to name a few??

Lets start with Billy Sol Estes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sol_Estes

Then lets go to Adam Clayton Powell Jr...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Clayton_Powell%2C_Jr.

Then lets look at Otto Kerner Jr...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Kerner

You want more recent?
Lets look at Dan Rostenkowski...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rostenkowski

Or

How about Walter R. Tucker III...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_R._Tucker_III

Or James Trafficant...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Traficant

Or Robert Toricelli...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Torricelli

I can go on,but you get the point.
All of the names I just listed are Democrats.
So dont think the repubs hold a monopoly on corruption.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:47 pm
mysteryman, We are talking about the present administration and representatives in congress; we can't do anything about the past. It's called "history."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:56 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
mysteryman, We are talking about the present administration and representatives in congress; we can't do anything about the past. It's called "history."

So,are you saying that history doesnt matter at all?
If history is irrelevant,then anything that happened before yesterday (nov 28) doesnt matter,because its history and we cant do anything about it.

My point was to show that while all of you seem to be hoping that there are scandals in the WH,you seem to want to ignore your own crimes.
You claim they are (in the past),well so is what Delay is supposed to have done.
So,why does it matter now?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:32 pm
I didn't say that, did I? Show me where I said history is irrelevant. And you know damn well I'm not talking what happened yesterday. Get serious!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:33 pm
As Henry Ford once said "History is bunk"
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:36 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I didn't say that, did I? Show me where I said history is irrelevant. And you know damn well I'm not talking what happened yesterday. Get serious!

"we can't do anything about the past."

Those are your words,not mine.
So,since you dont agree with them,define "past" for all of us.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:37 pm
Too bad I didn't make myself clear; I meant the "past" meaning before Bush's administration.
Is that clear or not? I can draw a picture for you if you still don't understand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:40 pm
It doesn't matter whether they are democrats or republicans if they break the law, they should pay the price.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 05:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Too bad I didn't make myself clear; I meant the "past" meaning before Bush's administration.
Is that clear or not? I can draw a picture for you if you still don't understand.

So that means that James Trafficant and Robert Toricelli,both Democrats,are representative of the Dems corruption also,right.
That means that the dems are also corrupt,right?
After all,bith of them were either convicted or forced to resign during the current Bush admin.

So,their actions prove that all dems are corrupt,right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:03 pm
Ofcoarsse! I never denied or said anything to defend any democrat that broke the law. So what's your point? Your projections about all dems being corrupt is about as childish as one can get on these boards. Why don't you grow up?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Ofcoarsse! I never denied or said anything to defend any democrat that broke the law. So what's your point? Your projections about all dems being corrupt is about as childish as one can get on these boards. Why don't you grow up?

You missed the point.
I never have,nor will I ever,claim that the actions of a few represent all.
BUT,there are members of the left on here that have said that ALL republicans are corrupt based on the actions of a few.

I was just wondering where you fit,and trying to point the silliness of that point of view.

Trafficant and Torricelli represented nobody but themselves,just like Cunningham represented nobody but himself.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:38 pm
Wow.. MM.. and there are those here that have claimed that the actions of a few Dems show that all Dems are corrupt.. Did you jump all over them for saying such a thing?
0 Replies