Should DeLay resign

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:36 pm
I'm pretty sure DeLay is innocent, the president says so and he would never lie.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
But he might have received bad intelligence.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I'm pretty sure DeLay is innocent, the president says so and he would never lie.

Actually, it was 'only' a "presidential prerogative" I've read today.

[I like this: Bush was not shy in explaining why he wants DeLay back in the leadership, where he proved himself extremely effective in promoting the president's agenda.

"When he is over there, we get our votes through the House," Bush told Fox News' Brit Hume. "We had a remarkable success of legislative victories -- a remarkable string of legislative victories."
:wink: ]
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
Walter's post about Bandow is not surprising; this administration sees nothing wrong buying space in Iraqi media to spread Bush politics on the Iraqi people. When will Bush supporters begin to realize how much damage Bushco has done to our country?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
I love the fact that Bandow summarizes what he did as "a lapse in judgment." One or two mistakes may be a lapse; one or two dozen suggest moral corruption...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:00 pm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:25 am
Quote:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-12-20-delay-donors_x.htm
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:18 am
Delay denied Fast Track Appeal

Quote:
By JANET ELLIOTT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN - After being rebuffed by one appeals court in his effort to get a speedy trial, U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay plans to quickly take his case to the higher Court of Criminal Appeals.

A January trial is an essential step in the Sugar Land Republican's efforts to regain his position as majority leader of the U.S. House of Representatives.

"We're not through. We're going to the top," said DeLay's lead lawyer, Dick DeGuerin.

In an order made public Thursday, a three-judge panel of the 3rd Court of Appeals rejected DeLay's bid to be tried on a money-laundering charge while prosecutors appeal the dismissal of a related charge accusing DeLay of violating the election code in 2002.

The panel of two Democrats and one Republican also rejected a motion to expedite the appeal by shortening the time for filing briefs from the customary 20 days per side to five days.

The wheels of justice turn slowly, but they do turn, Mr Delay.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
Quote:
link
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
Tom DeLay Steps Down As House Leader

By DAVID ESPO
AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rep. Tom DeLay, the defiant face of a conservative revolution in Congress, stepped down as House majority leader on Saturday under pressure from Republicans staggered by an election-year corruption scandal.

"During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land," the Texas lawmaker told fellow Republicans in a letter informing them of his decision.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DELAY?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=POLITICS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:30 pm
Text of DeLay's letter

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Representative Tom DeLay (R-Texas) sent the following letter to members of the House Republican Conference, explaining his decision to permanently step down as majority leader:

Dear Colleague,

Today, I have asked Speaker Hastert to convene our conference for the purpose of electing a new majority leader, the position I have been honored to fill these past three years through the trust and confidence of our colleagues.

During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land. I am fully confident time will bear this out.

However, we live in serious times and the United States House of Representatives must be focused on the job of protecting our nation and meeting the daily challenges facing the American people. History has proven that when House Republicans are united and focused, success follows.

While we wage these important battles, I cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention. I will continue to stand up for the issues I care so deeply about and work with you all on these priorities. I am constantly thankful for the support of my constituents in recent days as well as over the years they have allowed me to serve them. I will continue to work every day to fulfill their trust, and yours.

Regards, Tom DeLay
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:07 pm
One word comes to mind.

Yay!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:09 am
Not all threads terminate so appropriately.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:43 am
funny how quiet the right is being regarding the latest DeLay news..... standard MO....

look for a list of democrats who accepted money soon, whether legally or not, along with some sort of Clinton sin real or imagined.

That'll be about it
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:02 am
Blueveindthrobber
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
funny how quiet the right is being regarding the latest DeLay news..... standard MO....

look for a list of democrats who accepted money soon, whether legally or not, along with some sort of Clinton sin real or imagined.

That'll be about it

Hey Bear, yoou forgot about the woman that drowned in the car driven by Senator Ted Kennedy. Some are already bringing that up again.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
A chicken in every pot.... a secretary in every pond...God Bless America
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:22 am
Bear
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
A chicken in every pot.... a secretary in every pond...God Bless America

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
Righties keep bringing up the past to rationalize what this president is doing, but we can be assured that when the historians write about George W Bush, it's going to be about the most incompetent idiot to run the most powerful country in the world in the 21st century. He started a war on lies/exaggerations, illequipped our soldiers that resulted in 80 percent of our marines getting killed for nothing whle cutting costs for them and providing tax breaks for the wealthy, this administration's inability to react to a domestic crisis in New Orleans, no border security while performing unauthorized wiretaps on American citizens, torturing prisoners against our own laws and international laws, and promoting his religious beliefs to discriminate against gays and lesbians, and stifle stem cell research. I would think that historians would also be tough on our congress that allows all this to happen. They have essentially given up their responsibility of checks and balances against a tyrant we call the president.

And all this while they take bribes.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
C.I.
C.I., I just had a horrible thought after reading your post. Imagine the damage George Bush could do if he was competent?

BBB
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:15 pm
Spare me the thought! Wink
0 Replies