Too Pretty To Be Hired?

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:21 pm
You tell me...think she was not hired because she was too pretty and too sexy? Read the article here.

See some more pictures of her here.

Just for the record....she lost her court case. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,133 • Replies: 45
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:27 pm
Oh please, that's a cheap shot. If anything, her being
pretty would have helped her to land the job. Having an
attitude problem and wearing sexy attire to work is not acceptable, no matter where you work and what your qualifiactions are.

The court's decision was right!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:29 pm
Hard to know what to make of this story, which I read about earlier. If she did indeed dress provocatively, then I'm sure that hurt her chances. She was working, after all, at a university library, not a cocktail bar...

(Thanks for posting this, Bella Dea. It's the kind of question that makes us think before we respond, unlike so many political/social issue threads...)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
Of course, she is dressed very conservatively for the cameras. This has been going on over a course of 6 years and things may have changed since then.

Sexy dress is great at the night club, but not in the office. If she started out that way, she was probably overlooked even later. Nothing is mentioned of her qualifications and that is probably more to the point.

A man, no matter whether he be considered good looking or ugly, would probably not receive a promotion that he was not qualified for.

This lady seems to think that the job was owed to her. Otherwise she would not be stating that she has lost $150,000.00 in wages. She lost nothing....she did not have that job.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:39 pm
I didn't know it was going on this long....I just heard about it. Hm. I need to move the rock I'm living under more frequently.....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:41 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I didn't know it was going on this long....I just heard about it. Hm. I need to move the rock I'm living under more frequently.....

The article you referred us to indicated that she has been turned down 16 times since 1999 :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:47 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

The article you referred us to indicated that she has been turned down 16 times since 1999 :wink:

Embarrassed Now I feel like an... http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Gallery/Mammals/Farm_Pets/images/donkey01.jpg

I heard this on the radio and didn't really read this article..... Embarrassed Embarrassed I am going to stop posting now..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:53 pm
Don't feel embarrassed about that. It's still a new story. The pictures you posted showed her standing outside the courthouse just a couple of weeks ago after jury selection in her case. Of course her getting turned down isn't news until she sues.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:55 pm
No sweetheart, the article is from late March 2005.
In the article they made reference to her numerous
applications to Harvard that dated back to 1999.

SO come back Donkey Mr. Green
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:57 pm
Ok, but still.... Embarrassed Embarrassed Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:05 pm
Hey, nice err donkey you have there Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
Like it?

Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:09 pm
That's stupid. She's not that hot, at least it doesn't make sense she wouldn't get hired for being attractive.

And of course, she had to play the old reliable "it's because I'm black" card.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:18 pm
Her qualifications are listed and they look pretty good:

"Goodwin had a master's degree in English literature, a second master's in library science, seven years of experience working in the library of Boston College, and another nine years as an assistant librarian at Harvard."

I agree that dressing sexy at work is a dumb idea but she doesn't sound like a bimbo.

Personally, I'd kind of like to know who got promoted around her, and why.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
Her qualifications are listed and they look pretty good:

Personally, I'd kind of like to know who got promoted around her, and why.

Good point. I was originally wonding that too, but got caught up in the rest and ignored it. Could be relevent.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:22 pm
Maybe her attitude sucked. That would be my assumption as to why she wasn't hired.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
But she was hired - and worked there for nine years.

If her attitude sucked she should have been fired - not not considered for promotion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:27 pm
Sometimes it is hard to fire based on "attitude" alone
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:28 pm
boomerang wrote:
But she was hired - and worked there for nine years.

If her attitude sucked she should have been fired - not not considered for promotion.

True true....Hm...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
It is kind of curious that someone would remain at the same position for 9 years despite applying for numerous promotions. If they wanted to keep her, why wouldn't they try to help her develop her career? And if they didn't want to keep her...
0 Replies