Too Pretty To Be Hired?

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:36 pm
I know one.

I think we can say that it looks like she doesn't have much of a case, sure, but that's not all we've been discussing.

Thanks for the further info, beth, interesting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:38 pm
timberlandko wrote:
OK - so whatta we got here again? Lessee - 16 consecutive promotion pass-overs, and three filed, duly- even extensively - litigated, and dismissed court actions. Yup .... thats enough for me. I think this one's done.

It's a damn good thing her name isn't Terri Shiavo.....

But I digress.....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
Just a Schiavo sidetrip here, boomer - regardless my sentimemts re the principal in the Schiavo circus, the principles were clear enough; by law, Mr Schiavo was the sole responsible party ... his choice to make, the courts' obligation to uphold, whatever his decision might have been. Whether or not folks liked it, the law was followed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
It probably did sound like my comment was addressed to you, timberlandko, but really it was addressed to court watches at large.

I agree, the law was followed.

But the Shiavo case set a new precedent for "extensively litigated" and from this day forward people will have to be "Shiavoed" before they can earn that sobriquet and this librarian isn't even close.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 03:01 am
ehBeth wrote:
6 years in one job is not really that long in library world.

From what I remember (the article is no longer available, it moved into the archive) she'd been working there for a long time more - just that she'd been trying to get a promotion for six years.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
boomerang wrote:
nimh, there also could be considerations about her not wanting to move - maybe she has family there, or maybe the benefit package was good, or maybe she would lose money by moving a retirement account, or she liked the job other than the fact that she was passed over so many times, or a million other things.

OK, fair enough, could be lotsa reasons. But then I'm thinking, isnt it either one or the other? If, despite the lack of promotion, she enjoyed at Harvard a position with accompanying benefits and conveniences that still made it a better job than any other she might have gotten around the place, then she can hardly blame Harvard for not giving her an even more favourable position/conditions still? Whereas if she's right that they kept her down by denying her the position and benefits/conditions that on the basis of her qualifications were rightfully hers, then she should have been able to find it elsewhere, no? I mean: the one proof that she was stuck in her current position unjustly would be if another organisation would give her the better position.
0 Replies