Jane Fonda and the "60 Minutes" Interview

rayban1

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:17 pm
Chrissee wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Here's what appears to be a more factual picture of Ms Fonda by a Vietnam Vet turned journalist:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050410/news_mz1e10caldwl.html

Fact? It's an opinion piece.

How can it be "just" an opinion piece when the author, as a Vietnam vet witnessed much of what happened..............did you witness any of it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:20 pm
rayban - are you dismissing the comments of the veterans who have posted to this thread?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 07:24 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Chrissee wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Here's what appears to be a more factual picture of Ms Fonda by a Vietnam Vet turned journalist:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050410/news_mz1e10caldwl.html

Fact? It's an opinion piece.

How can it be "just" an opinion piece when the author, as a Vietnam vet witnessed much of what happened..............did you witness any of it?

I am obviously way too young to have witnessed it. Still, it is an opinion piece.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
Jane is on 60 minutes again tonight, or was...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:17 pm
It's an opinion piece. I could have written that article from what I know personally or from what I could dig up. There's no reporting in this piece, it's opinion.

Even the Right acknowledges this piece is just hearsay

BUT, an effective strike can't come through repetition of hearsay-based charges against Hanoi Jane, such as those in Caldwell's piece today

http://smagar.redstate.org/story/2005/4/10/1425/82067

It goes on to call for evidence. It's an interesting read.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:32 pm
There are those with open inquiring minds........and then there are those who will believe only what they want to believe. I can't believe anyone of you above average intellects could or would defend the actions of Ms Fonda.

She is a traitor and if Johnson had had the guts to declare war in Vietnam, she would have been charged and tried for treason along with John Kerry.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:58 am
Quote:
There are those with open inquiring minds........and then there are those who will believe only what they want to believe.

Who's who in this zoo?

Quote:
I can't believe anyone of you above average intellects could or would defend the actions of Ms Fonda

I'm not making claims about my intellect but I wasn't impressed with her behaviour then and I'm not impressed with her behaviour now
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:16 am
It is very curious. Last week, the death of the Pope cut into the piece about Fonda. So they broadcast it last night. Do they usually do that? It seems to me (I could be wrong) that when a piece on "60 Minutes" is interrupted, it is gone, until it emerges on the summer reruns. Apparently CBS though that Jane Fonda was such an "important personage" that they did not want to deny the audience one second of her
most important insights! Rolling Eyes

It was noted that CBS had many letters about the interview. I was waiting to hear about them after Andy Rooney, but there was nothing. Well, I will be patient until next week, but if no viewer comments are forthcoming, I will have smelled a rat.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:38 am
Rat-ings
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:35 am
Dammit. Can't believe I missed the interview AGAIN.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
Don't know waht you saw but the West Coast feed featured a different part of the interview, about her and Ted.
0 Replies

lolaincognito

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:13 pm
Jane Fonda is a hero.
Admittedly, I was born after the Vietnam War, however everything I know about it tells me that Jane Fonda did a brave, if brash thing by using her celebrity to publicly denounce this war. The fact that she met with both sides makes what she did all the more powerful rather than hypocritical. I am in the process of reading her memoir and I find it incredibly moving, humbling and insightful.

It has always been said that one should try to understand the things one hates - if you really want to understand yourself, try and understand why you hate her so much. Get the book (for free - borrow it or something so you don't get all up in arms about supporting her monetarily (as if she needs it! Having been married to Ted Turner and all, please!)) and read it. Ask yourself to try and understand this woman you demonize so much. It will make you a more complete and well rounded individual to be able to confront your own hatred and look it in the face and understand it in a more human and less dogmatic way.

I'm not saying you should like her - I'm just saying that you can't sound anything but fanatical without doing what you can to see what motivates her and digging deeper into your own feelings about her.
0 Replies