Jane Fonda and the "60 Minutes" Interview

goodfielder

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:29 am
Was she ever charged and convicted of an offence?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
goodfielder wrote:

NO........because they would have had to convict Ted Kennedy and John Kerry of the same offense..........."GIVING AID AND COMFORT TO THE ENEMY"
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:41 am
Okay I'll take the "no" bit.

You know I think I will go and play with the sharks after all, at least they smile before they bite Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:41 am
Was there any actual evidence of what you allege she did?

Or is it one of those "my friend" who turns out to be a friend of a friend of etc etc, so common to urban legends?

And, while we obviously differ re speaking out against an appalling and disgusting war, based on personal knowledge, as Kerry did - anyone would agree that the alleged act of handing notes given to one by prisoners to their captors in such circumstances is a terrible thing to do.

I look forward to convincing evidence of your claim.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:55 am
Dlowan

You don't know me but you can be assured that I am fully aware of the seriousness of the allegation I made. Hanoi Jane has confessed to one serious "lapse in judgment" in order to NOT feeling compelled to confess to the most serious "stuff". After all, she is a professional actress.....she is in the business of "fooling" people. IMO she should turn over all the profits from the book to the families of those she killed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
dlowan wrote:
Was there any actual evidence of what you allege she did?

Or is it one of those "my friend" who turns out to be a friend of a friend of etc etc, so common to urban legends?

And, while we obviously differ re speaking out against an appalling and disgusting war, based on personal knowledge, as Kerry did - anyone would agree that the alleged act of handing notes given to one by prisoners to their captors in such circumstances is a terrible thing to do.

I look forward to convincing evidence of your claim.

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:11 am
Dlowan

Please send my allegations to Ms Fonda in my fervent hope she will sue me...........I pledge to send any settlement money to the families of those she killed.

rayban
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:07 pm
Thanks McG. I woulda looked, but it was more interesting to wait for the evidence.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:15 pm
I looked at Snopes. Had to. The book is starting to look tempting.

from McG's link (we think McG's a good ole Murrican, right?)

Quote:
Jane Fonda handed over to their captors the slips of paper POWs pressed upon her: False.

Quote:

All a bit of a mess, and I think I will go track down her book at some time in the future.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:29 pm
Hmm - for all Fonda's foolishness, it is interesting to see how shocking torture faslely denied appears to be when it is done to American prisoners...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:37 pm
goodfielder wrote:

IMO the only reason that she WASN'T charged, was that public opinion was vehemently against the war. If she were, it would have caused a lot of internal problems in the US.

This afternoon something came to me. Martha Stewart was put in jail for lying about a not very substantial insider trade. Jane Fonda, on the other hand, got off scott free for what I believe was treason.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

IMO the only reason that she WASN'T charged, was that public opinion was vehemently against the war. If she were, it would have caused a lot of internal problems in the US.

This afternoon something came to me. Martha Stewart was put in jail for lying about a not very substantial insider trade. Jane Fonda, on the other hand, got off scott free for what I believe was treason.

Or it mght have had somethiong to do with the fact that the war itself was illegal. LBJ, Nixon and Kissinger should have been indicted!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:47 pm
Quote:
To be a revolutionary you have to be a human being. You have to care about people who have no power.
Jane Fonda
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:18 am
I think it's probably the case that there was no evidence of her committing a crime. I believe that if there was evidence she would have been charged. Those were crazy days. But crazy as they were the government wouldn't have charged her without the evidence required for a conviction.

So what we have is a recycling of the rumours concerning Jane Fonda.

Did I think at the time she visited Hanoi that she was doing the wrong thing? Yes I did.

I thought she was being a show pony, a typical rich kid flirting with revolution.

She went to Hanoi, which was getting the bejeep3rs bombed out of it by Tricky Dicky and the USAF, she swanned around for a few photo opportunities (looking suitably grim) and then came home to a life of poverty.....NOT!

Spoiled, privileged and mouthy.

What she was up to was transparently obvious. It was as bad as those Manhattan wankers that thought it was chic to have Black Panthers at their parties even when that organisation was admitting involvement in the ambush murder of police officers in the US.

However she was never indicted and never convicted therefore she is entitled to be presumed innocent and not subjected to calumny.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:31 am
Wherever she was coming from & however misguided & naive her actions appear in retrospect, I believe she was sincere in her efforts to end that immoral war.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:49 am
msolga wrote:
Wherever she was coming from & however misguided & naive her actions appear in retrospect, I believe she was sincere in her efforts to end that immoral war.

I don't doubt that. My problem is the way she went about it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:13 am
Phoenix

Well, she was probably a spoiled, rich & famous brat at the time, with little experience of the "real" world. She discovered radical politics through close personal connections & that was, no doubt, a heady experience. She believed, because of her status, that she could have a big impact on public opinion about the war if she went public. So she acted within that context ... had she had a different life she probably would have expressed her opposition to the war in a very different way.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:28 am
msolga- I agree. But at 36 she should have known better.

What you are saying is a reasonable explanation of what she did, of understanding her motivations, but I don't think that it can be excused away. She was not a kid, when this happened!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:39 am
Not exactly politically astute, either, I'd say. There she was at the time, deeply involved with Tom Haydn (sp?) the (at the time) infamous US political activist .... Maybe that had something to do with her perceptions & actions? Did she mention that relationship in the interview?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:43 am
There were a lot of crazy shytty things that stemmed from the Viet Nam war and Jane Fonda was not even one of the worst ones.

I think we should all agree that at the source, Viet Nam was a huge turd in every respect, so that the shyt flowed downhill from there and in many directions.

Jane Fonda was just a little piece of corn when you step back and examine that entire nasty stool of a war.

Thank God we now have a war to be proud of. This war smells like roses.
0 Replies