Jane Fonda and the "60 Minutes" Interview

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:22 am
For decades, just hearing the name, "Jane Fonda" has caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand up. I was appalled by her activities in Hanoi, during the Vietnam War. Last night, she was on "60 Minutes". Apparently she has written an autobiography, and "60 Minutes" is a great place to get publicity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/31/60minutes/main684295.shtml

Quote:
"Well, we were giving the money away. We had to support an anti-war movement," says Fonda. "Why spend it on yourself when people are dying, and there's a war going on? It was a crisis."

Some of the money went to their travels across the country, protesting the war and meeting with Vietnam veterans, and to pay for Fonda's 1972 trip to Hanoi, the enemy capital. She earned the epithet "Hanoi Jane" and the eternal hatred of many veterans when she visited an anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down American pilots.

It's something that Fonda now says she regrets. "I will go to my grave regretting that. The image of Jane Fonda, Barbarella, Henry Fonda's daughter, just a woman sitting on a enemy aircraft gun, was a betrayal," says Fonda.

"It was like I was thumbing my nose at the military. And at the country that gave me privilege. It was the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine. I don't thumb my nose at this country. I care deeply about American soldiers."

Quote:
But many of those soldiers say if there's one thing they will never forgive her for, it's that she met with a group of seven POWs when she was in North Vietnam, giving the appearance of a staged event at their expense.

"Was that a lapse of judgment?" asks Stahl.

"No. There are hundreds of American delegations that had met with POWs. It was not uncommon at all," says Fonda.

"Does that make it right?" asks Stahl.

"It doesn't make it wrong," says Fonda.

So, it looks like "Hanoi Jane" regrets having a picture taken with an enemy gun, but does not regret going to Vietnam, and meeting with the soldiers, and the enemy.

All these years, I have always believed that it was appropriate for the young people to protest the war in Vietnam over in America, but it was immoral for Fonda to go to Vietnam.

I question her sincerity in this entire broadcast. I also understand that I am unable to be dispassionate about this issue. Personally, I believed, and still believe, that she should have been tried and convicted for treason.

Did you see the show? What do you think? Are you old enough to remember the Vietnam War, and what was happening at the time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,839 • Replies: 91
No top replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:33 am
I watched the show. If you watched the show I can't fathom how you could question her sincerity. I guess you also question her admitting to hustling women for threesomes for Roger Vadim. Or how she allowed herself to become completely subservient to all three of her husbands.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:35 am
Quote:
If you watched the show I can't fathom how you could question her sincerity.

Chrissee- You think that she WAS sincere? So why has she kept her mouth shut for decades, and only 'fesses up now, when there is a book of hers being published?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:40 am
Phoenix - I am more concerned about the "hair on the back of your neck"!!

She is just looking for another last attempt at legitimacy and should be ignored in my view.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:45 am
woiyo- It would give me great pleasure to see veterans' groups protesting this book.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:47 am
Oh the old, she/he is just pushing a book so it can't be true. That is so tired. Did you ever think maybe someone writes an exposé on her or himself as a catharsis? If she was not being sincere, she is an even better actor than I thought.

Did you watch the interview, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
woiyo- It would give me great pleasure to see veterans' groups protesting this book.

So you want millions of dollars of free publicity for the book?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:52 am
Phoenix - By ignoring her, I am protesting it. SHe is as irrelevant today as she was back then.

Chrissee - Regardless of her sincerity, explain to me why I should be interested in anthing she has to say?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:57 am
Quote:
Did you watch the interview, Phoenix?

Chrissee- Of course I did. I think that she portrayed herself as a victim, a poor little helpless girl who wanted to be loved by her men so much that she would do anything. I find her disgusting. (I warned you that I could not be dispassionate about this).

You may be right about the protesting. I hope that her book dies an ignominious death. When I wrote about protesting the book, for the moment, I thought that it would be an ironic comeuppance, and I was relishing the thought of it.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:19 am
woiyo wrote:
Phoenix - By ignoring her, I am protesting it. SHe is as irrelevant today as she was back then.

Chrissee - Regardless of her sincerity, explain to me why I should be interested in anthing she has to say?

Obviously, you are. Otherwise, why are you posting to this thread?

Every time you log in a comment, you help keep the thread alive and give the book free publicity. I would venture to say the Jane Fonda haters are active right now on virtually every political forum on the web.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
phoenix "Judge not so that ye shall not be judged."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
Chrissee wrote:
Oh the old, she/he is just pushing a book so it can't be true. That is so tired.
Is it tired? Has it been said before? Sure! It's been said before because it's been done before.

I did not see the interviews, but I just bet she did sound sincere. She is, after all, a professional actress.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
Chrissee wrote:
phoenix "Judge not so that ye shall not be judged."

Oh, I certainly expect to be judged for whatever I do in life. And I will judge other people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Rog- If you go to my original link at the beginning of this thread, you can find a link to the video of the segment on "60 Minutes".
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
But she was very lovely in Barbarella and Klute and (I think) Coming Home.

I'll forgive Jane anything.We all make mistakes.The biggest mistake is to take any notice of what a lady like Jane does when not being directed.The stardom plays tricks with their heads and they get all confused.
It is the people who provided the news coverage you should be looking at.Without them she did nothing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
I've always like Jane Fonda as an actor and I even, as a very young teenager, admired her open protest of the war in Vietnam. Of course, being a young and stupid girl full of militant aspirations, I didn't have a clue of the severity of her actions but hearing about this interview on the radio last week, I was one, dumbfounded that she could have been that incredibly foolish back then and two, I had to admire her once again for standing up and admitting that she was wrong for some of her actions in Hanoi and finally apologizing for it, and so eloquently.

As far as being willing to do anything to be loved by her men, well, how many women can relate to that?

I will probably buy her book.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
Yes, she was lovely. She is an accomplished actress. This is what actors do, you know. They act. They fool people. They deceive. They impress with their sincerity. And Jane Fonda is good at it. She really is.

All right, that doesn't mean she was NOT sincere in the interview, but few of us are capable of judging that she was.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Chrissee wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Obviously, you are. Otherwise, why are you posting to this thread?

Every time you log in a comment, you help keep the thread alive and give the book free publicity. I would venture to say the Jane Fonda haters are active right now on virtually every political forum on the web.

That's not an answer to the direct question.

Let's try again, a little different

Explain to me WHY I should buy her book?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:27 am
Explain to me why I should explain to you why you should buy her book. You make no sense. BTW I have no plans to buy her book. So what?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
Whatever!
0 Replies