Great Villains, and Supporting Actors

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:00 pm
lessee:
...Eddie (Frasier)
...Daisy (Blondie)
...Asta, or Astor (thin Man)
...And sometimes when I'm turning to a will and Grace rerun, I catch the end of a show called "Sabrina The Witch", and there's an amusing talkiing cat.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:45 am
George The Animal Steele - - > Ed Wood

Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 12:48 am
Also Sounder and the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:07 am
The doggie in There's Something About Mary - a damn good sport I think
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:42 am
Turner and Hooch - I forget who was Tom Hanks and who was the dog. I am no longer even sure the man was Tom Hanks - Hey, I'm willing to forget it if you are.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Larry,
... You reminded me of Animal, the drummer in the muppet band. I like that guy, he has to be chained down while he's playing. Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:01 pm
I not sure if they've been mentioned, but I just thought about two guys that are so popular, it's easy to forget they're usually in villainous and/or supporting roles. ....... My two favorite runts, Danny DeVito, and Joe Pesci.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:03 pm
I am almost ashamed of myself for forgetting Robert Newton. Best known for his portrayal of Long John Silver, he was very good in other films as well. Tom Brown's School Days, Oliver Twist (he was Bill Sikes) - quite a few others. I believe he also played Black Beard. In the 50s he did a t.v. series of Long John Silver.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:57 pm
I love David Strathairn. He can do anything - mild-mannered nerd (The River Wild), slick crime lord (L.A. Confidential), evil blue collar fisherman (Dolores Claiborne) - and do it well. And he's practically unrecognizable from one role to the next. My favorite role of his may be the sheriff in Matewan. Or maybe the Cajun guy in Passion Fish. Or the blind guy in Sneakers...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:01 pm
another animal co-star: the mouse in The Green Mile.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:13 pm
Thanks mac, great pick, Straithairn is always good in his roles - I liked him in Eight Men Out, along with all the ones you mentioned.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 11:42 pm
eb - I couldn't remember who Robert Newton was, even after I looked at IMdb, until I found a tribute site with some pictures. I recognize that Bill Sikes for sure.

http://www.mooncove.com/newton/pix.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:20 am
To be familiar with Newton is to love him.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:35 am
Yes that great english actor Robert Newton born in Shaftesbury, Dorset- I think one of his best parts was in Les Miserables as Javert, I really hated him and he lifted a mediocre version through his own performance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 08:21 am
My favorite film of Les Miserables starred Charles Laughton as Javert. I know the actor who played Valjean, but it escapes me just now.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:16 am
Edgar: That was a great Les Miserables. Fredric March played Valjean. He was a superb actor.

I loved Robert Newton in Odd Man Out. I want to see that one again.

You guys left out my favorite animal stars: The deer in The Yearling and the Brussels Griffon (I can never remember his name Embarrassed) in As Good As It Gets. I thought he deserved an Oscar, too. What was his name in that movie? Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:30 am
What about the animals that followed Snow White around? Should they be ignored simply because they are cartoons?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 01:52 pm
How about all of the animals in "Babe?" The little pig, Ferdinand the duck, the cat, they were all great.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
Larry,
...That's the thing with so many great supporting actors. They are head-slappers. I just did that with John C. Reily. I heard you guys talking about him and wondered why I didn't know him. then I saw him for about one second on TV with his name under him, and immediatly slapped myself upside the head; WHACK!..."Of course I know that guy!" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:21 pm
Hey Gang,
...There is a very select niche, which couldn't support an entire thread, but I'm sure we could ease in here:
.....LEGENDARY SUPPORTING CHARACTERS!.....

......There are certain, historical, literary, or mythical figures, that are almost never the main subject of a movie, but are omnipresent, throughout cinematic history. My absolute favorite is Doc Holiday, he is always my favorite character in any of the dozens of Wyatt Earp movies, I've seen. Frank Nitti, and Pat Garrett are two more. I'll bet you guys can come up with some head-slappers.
0 Replies