Great Villains, and Supporting Actors

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
Sugar<

In the current film, Catch Me if You Can, Christopher Walken is not a villain. His performance, as usual, is terrific. I recommend this film for all of Walken's fans.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:49 am
Gary Oldman..in anything
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:43 pm
I remember Brian Dennehy in a made-for-tv movie where he played this nasty, nasty man and, if I remember correctly, the whole town got together and killed him. He was also pretty low in "Unforgiven."
James Spader plays your yuppie villian with glee. In "Wolf" with Jack Nicholson, you just wanted to beat him with something.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:44 pm
Macsm,
...You may be thinking about the one where he played a serial Killer. IT was a true story. There were kids, he was a clown. I kinda' hated to see my guy Brian play that one too. But he's a pro
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:48 pm
Oh yeah,
...Trying to keep one step ahead of the Sexist Police Twisted Evil Let's not forget the ladies. I just love the treachery of Mercedes McCambridge, and the sardonic wit, of Eve Arden.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:55 pm
Eoe,
...Are you confusing Denehey, and Gene Hackman, with "Silverado, and "Unforgiven" ? You know what I mean. Confused
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:01 pm
Booman: You beat me to the punch. I was just getting ready to ask if there was room here for the bad girls. Laughing

Margaret Hamilton - The Wizard of Oz

Louis Fletcher - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Agnes Moorehead - Jane Eyre

Bette Davis - The Little Foxes
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:09 pm
Impressive Raggedyaggie,
...Think we could squeeze Kathy Bates in there, for "Misery"? (S-shiver)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:31 pm
Booman - in the TV movie/mini-series of the Stephen King book "It" - that was Tim Curry as the clown/monster...
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:43 pm
Tim Curry! Oh he's amazing!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:45 pm
I agree, Bluxx. Although I doubt he'll ever top his performance in The Rocky Horror Picture Show!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:53 pm
Two Mercedes McCambridge gems:

"Johnny Guitar" A western that put the "k" in kinky.
"Touch of Evil" A brief, menacing appearance
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:19 pm
No,no Macsm,
...That's not what I'm talking about. This was a true story, Brian played a guy who performed as a clown at childrens parties. that 's how he got his victims. It may have been John Wayne Gacy, I'm not sure. I would never confuse those two, I love them both.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:21 pm
GW,
...MM wasn't too shabby in "Giant" either.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:42 pm
yes, indeed, Raggedy. Fonda was a real meanie. I loved him in that movie.

I got's to get some sleep.

later all.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 09:24 pm
You're right Booman. I got Brian Dennehey and Gene Hackman's characters confused in "The Unforgiven" and "Silverado." But how about Al Lettieri? He played Solozzo in "The Godfather", an ugly enough character, but I remember him best in the original "The Getaway" with Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw. He played McQueen's partner in the bank robbery. What a nasty man.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 09:36 pm
I believe I nabbed Night of the Hunter first, thanks. So there.

Dennehy was John Wayne Gacy in To Catch a Killer, and was a really nasty town bully in In Broad Daylight.

Christopher Lee plays a great villain.

And Elizabeth Berkeley and Madonna are very scary in every role they play! Laughing
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:41 pm
Mercedes McCambridge won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 1949 for her performance in All the King's Men.

Whenever I think of a "supporting" actress, Vivian Vance comes to mind.
She was, of course, Lucy's neighbor in the still-in-reruns TV show, I Love Lucy.

Agnes Moorehead was a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Radio Theatre company. Welles cast her in Citizen Kane (though I don't remember her role). Moorehead had a long career which endured even on TV. She played Elizabeth Montgomery's mom in Bewitched.

Moorehead's best performance, I think, was as Bette Davis' housekeeper in the film Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, which has become somewhat of a cult classic.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:52 pm
Booman<

The Sexist Police can make their arrest elsewhere. Including women role players (actresses) in this thread should reveal to all concerned that you are not into the politics of exclusion. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have read your posts over a period of many months know that would not your style Exclamation
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:53 pm
I second Richard Widmark (in many films), Robert Mitchum in "Night of the Hunter"...remember "children, where are you?" and last but not least Ben Kingsley" in "Sexy Beast". .. unforgettable.
0 Replies