Great Villains, and Supporting Actors

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:02 am
She was great in Grapes of Wrath, love that movie, her too. How about Edward Everett Horton, loved that guy. Saw him in Lost Horizon the other day, what a character (actor). Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:09 am
I had forgotten E E Horton. Love that guy.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 02:17 pm
How about Jim Broadbent? He won the Oscar last year for Iris, but he has been doing excellent supporting work for many years. His Boss Tweed in Gangs of New York was marvelous. I suppose he'll never live down doing "Like a Virgin" in Moulin Rouge!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
Thanks mac, he is always good in a wide variety of roles. He was excellent in Topsy Turvy, very funny in Bullets Over Broadway, and he was also in one of my favorite recent British movies, Life Is Sweet.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 05:27 pm
I just remembered. I have made an egregius (love that word) omission. I can recall seeing "Dick Tracy" with all those big stars in it. Yet when the credits rolled I was pinned to my seat, to find out who in the hell was that playing Flat Top. It was William Forsyth, and he has been a favorite of mine every since. I even liked his version of Al capone, on sydicated TV, better than anyones. why hasn't anybody else latched on to this guy? He even has one of those Jack Elam, eyes.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:17 pm
He was good in Once Upon A Time in America - I don't remember seeing him recently, do you booman?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 07:55 pm
I sure haven't larry. Occasionally I'll catch him on cable in a B-movie. Tis' a shame.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:40 pm
Remember, Meg Tilly played the nun who gave birth to a child in "Agnes of God" with Jane Fonda and Anne Bancroft. That was a very heavy role (I thought).
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:44 pm
Booman, the word you like is spelled "egregious"...just a helpful hint.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:26 pm
Thomas Mitchell. I never saw him play a villain, but he was one heck of a supporting cast actor. He was in Gone With The Wind, High Noon, It's a Wonderful Life, plus also starred in some, such as Swiss Family Robinson and on t.v. The O Henry Playhouse.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:21 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:12 am
I seem to recall Rock Hudson playing a coach who murders high school cheerleaders. Title something like Pretty Maids in a Row.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:15 am
So, he was the good guy then? Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:16 am
Good on the surface.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:09 am
Lionel Barrymore in Its a Wonderful Life reminds me of a lot of bankers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:22 am
L Barrymore also played Scrooge.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:32 am
Sir Laurence Olivier was a great villain in Marathon Man. Max von Sydow can play the villain very well also.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
Gene Hackman is evel when he plays the bad guy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:35 pm
In a lot of modern movies it is difficult to distinguish the bad guys from the good, assuming there are any good. In Pulp Fiction I don't recall any sort of morality on the part of any leading characters.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:07 pm
EDGAR!...GET OUTTA' MY HEAD! Shocked

I was Just about to ask; Do you really call them villains, when it's something like "The Sting", Gene Hackman, in "The Score", DeNiro, in "The Heist", or others of that ilk? And a lot of the Billy the Kid movies. Y'all se where Edgar and are going with this . What do you think?
0 Replies