Great Villains, and Supporting Actors

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:22 pm
Robo Cop - Not one moral character, even the kids are on the take.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:46 pm
Edgar: I'm trying to think of a movie in which Thomas Mitchell played a really bad guy, and I think you're right. Even when he was at his weakest, he always redeemed himself. I don't think any of you folks will remember The Hurricane with Jon Hall, Dorothy Lamour, Raymond Massey,Mary Astor, Thomas Mitchell and John Carradine. In that movie John Carradine was the "rottenest" villain I have ever seen. Raymond Massey was the sleaziest character and Thomas Mitchell, the weakest. Massey was an inbetweener, Mitchell was weak guy turned good and Carradine was bad.

Booman: You have a problem here, but not to worry. I have a solution. What you need are three threads of character actors(women included):
Good - Bad - and Inbetween. Laughing

The never -ending movie character threads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:23 pm
I believe Thomas Mitchell was the drunken sot doctor in Stagecoach, John Wayne's breakthrough film.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:15 pm
Has anyone ever seen a better supporting actress performance than Hattie McDaniel's in Gone with the Wind?

Ms. McDaniel was having a successful career long before Halle Berry or Queen Latifah were even thought of. Her Oscar for Gone with the Wind in 1939 was the first for an African-American. She was a film pioneer most people don't think of anymore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:28 pm
Hattie McDaniels was a wonderful actor. I always looked forward to her performances. She did a series called Beulah when I was a kid. Sure they only let her play maids, but she was good enough to rise above the material. And, as she said, it was better to make $700 a week playing a maid than to make $70 actually being one.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:42 am
Edgar: Oh yes, I remember Mitchell as the drunken doctor in Stagecoach, but the Doc "straightened up" to deliver a baby. I just can't think of a movie in which he was a real villain. He made around 65 movies. (I loved John Carradine in Stagecoach)

Ethel Waters played TV's Beulah from 1950 to 1952.
Hattie McDaniel appeared in two episodes of Beulah on TV in 1952, but suddenly became ill and the part went to Louise Beavers. Although Louise Beavers was given fourth billing in Imitation of Life with Claudette Colbert in 1934, her role was equally as important as Colbert's. She was superb as the heartbroken mother.

Hattie McDaniel sang and danced, playing Paul Robeson's wife, in the original Showboat. They performed "I Still Suits Me", and "Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine, among others, and she was great.
I wonder if Hattie played "Beulah" on radio.

Keep 'em coming guys and gals. I love 'em.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:15 am
Here is a link to the story of the Beulah show.
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/B/htmlB/beulah/beulah.htm
A thing about these early 'black' shows often overlooked is that the stars were good, personable people. Perhaps one's economic background had a lot to do with perception. I was among the poorest of the poor. I saw in Beulah, Amos 'n' Andy and Stymie (Our Gang) some very likeable people, not the stereotypes people of means and education decried. I loved these characters as people across the racial divide. In later times people disparaged the Cosby show because this time they had money and did not live in the 'hood.' I defend the show on the grounds that they showed how life could be for anybody, regardless of ethnic background.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:58 am
I agree Edgar, I always find Cosby uplifting and come away feeling a heap better and smiling inside :-y
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:29 am
Thanks for the link Edgar. (I have never heard or seen the Beulah shows). I, too, loved the Cosby series.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 04:28 pm
...Speaking of John Carradine; He has the record for movie apearances (wa-ay over 200!) and I've never seen him star.
...Speaking of the neglected ladies; I just love Kathy Najimy, she is so funny. And who doesn't know Ellen Corby? I've seen her, it seems like all my life, and never knew her name until a few years ago, when I discovered the Waltons in re-runs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:17 pm
Kathy Bates in some film where she holds a guy prisoner. She breaks his ankles with a sledge hammer to keep him from running away. Don't recall the name - some S. King stuff.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:53 pm
That's Misery, edgar. She's always the best thing in every movie she's in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:00 pm
She is wonderful in even the bad movies.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:25 pm
I'm looking forward to seeing her tonight, in "Six-Feet Under"
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:51 pm
<sigh> I guess I'm gonna have to get HBO again one of these days.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 04:39 am
Ellen Corby was in a bunch of movies - I think she was the sweet lady in the run-on-the-bank scene in Its A Wonderful Life.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:06 am
A couple of more ladies; Zazu Pitts, and the lafie who was almost a "5th Marx Brother". Seems like Groucho was always courting her, for money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:08 am
Richard Crenna had some wonderful supporting roles. As many films as he appeared in, not all were jewels, but he was very good much of the time.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:43 am
Ben Johnson - a great supporting actor
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:59 pm
We would be remiss if we did not mention the supporting animals who have enriched our film experiences. Here are a few I remember:

Arrow King Kong
Arrow Trigger
Arrow Buttermilk
Arrow Rin Tin Tin
Arrow supporting birds, such as those in The Birds, The Birdman of Alcatraz and Mary Poppins
Arrow Lassie
Arrow Old Yeller
Arrow Moby Dick

Come on, now, add to the list. Surely your choices may be better than mine.
0 Replies