Robert Allen Zimmerman aka BOB DYLAN

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
You see, Your Lordship, those men in the trenchcoats from Thames House on Millbank asked me to do a favour and not to speak about it openly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
Mathos wrote:
Walter, The Celt from Jutland?

With due respect, highborn Mathos, I'm one of those Saxons who missed the last train and ferry to Brittonum in 486.

So, I'm really no Celt from Jutland but a Saxon with some Franconian blood from Westphalia.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
Mmmm, near Cork !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:24 pm
Well, nearly near Cork.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
HMS Belfast in the viewfinder then !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
If it's a good Radio detection and ranging maschine ...
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
sshhh gently, The chappies in the Trenchcoats, they have ears!
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
Well nice talking to you Walter but its cocoa time, followed by a superb Cognac and vintage Port.
Take care my learned friend!
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
Yes quite an interesting gadget, I purchased the same from a traveller who was driving a superb Bentley which in turn was towing one of those large chrome caravans, he said his receipt book was full, but promised to post me one for the cash rendered. It never came, I am now wondering where this devious looking character might have obtained the same. I shall have a word with 'Blackley,' Sergeant at the local Police Station, maybe he can assist.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:22 am
A real baron would never say "a superb cognac".
It would be taken for granted by a real baron that the cognac is superb."A superb cognac" is a lower middle-class affectation.

"Wasted words that prove to warn
He not busy being born is busy dying."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:00 am
Yes, what is Walter photographing? My guess is a mirror, or he's part of a photo-duel that ended in a draw. Smile

Although photo-duels are better conducted in the dark when the flash helps tell who shot first.

Yes' this boy is completely recovered from his fit of tantrums, Baron von Trytoohard. :wink:
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
spendius wrote:
A real baron would never say "a superb cognac".
It would be taken for granted by a real baron that the cognac is superb."A superb cognac" is a lower middle-class affectation.

"Wasted words that prove to warn
He not busy being born is busy dying."
A real Baron! Surely you meant authentic Baron:- What have we here Spendius, words of wisdom? One may take it as read that all of us are dying Dear Boy ! Perhaps with your knowledge you would care to name me a 'Superb Cognac' Life is founded on the purest principles of piety and virtue, but in order to secure those privileges to 'worthy men' and I trust to worthy men alone, we have to accept the meanderings of those unprivileged who seek a more equivocal standing in society. So let us talk about Zimmerman Dear Spendius, if of course your philosophical outlook is un-clouded by rank and fortune.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
Cyracuz, Thank you! Having in my estimation been restored to the rank of a Philosopher of ability combined with humility noting yourself the errors in your ways of rashly attempting to undermine my thread, I salute you Sir, and indeed from this day forth we shall be harmonious in our representations. Besides, I feel I will need all the assistance I can muster to handle the 'Clown Prince' Spendius.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:14 pm
Letty wrote:
Welcome to A2K, Mathos. I suspect that Zimmerman/Dylan was simply pandering to the popular music monarchs and musical culture of the time. Don McLean in his song, American Pie, referred to him as The Jester, and that is what he did. Entertained the court. I really don't think that there is much mystery in his nature.

Do we simply write Zimmerman off as The Jester? The Jester sang to The King & Queen, in a coat he'd borrowed from James Dene ! Analyse that Spendius ! There are many who have attempted to do so from repeated efforts and repeated efforts alone, the rude material receives its fine polish, consequently Dear Boy, nothing short of indefatigable exertion will induce the habits which will enlighten your mind and purify the soul of one who greets Mathos with such an immoral outburst. You could find happiness in the paths of virtue and science.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:09 am
Okay then Mathos:-

Now we have been introduced what do you want to know.I'm a bit of an expert on the life and times of Bob Dylan.His is an artistic and commercial response to the world as he found it starting in 1941 and still going.As such his work has some value in the IA Richards sense of value to those whose circumstances enable them to use it.To others it is meaningless apart from the possibilities of a type of snobbery which can be easily detected by looking into the eyes of anybody talking about him.If you play those records you found a few times you will soon know which category you fall into.

As for the American Pie reference there's nothing to analyse.The song is superficial journalism.There's lots of jesters,lots of kings and queens and no doubt lots of James Deans in this world.McLean is simply space filling.He sounds like he had had guitar lessons.The rhyme probably came to him in an inspired moment and he couldn't resist it.Not like "ever does" and "whatever was" in I and I.And lots of others of course.

Where did you learn that florid literary style.It's quite amusing.Not on savannah ganga are you?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:29 am
Mathos, thou speakest with flowers too great for coherency.
Thus what weight thy words may sustain is lost in your rethoric's perfumed haze.
I do not scorn sivility, nor do I frown on taste. But thou clearly disregard them both, thus this discussion is a waste.

I thank thee for thy time. Laughing
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:15 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Mathos, thou speakest with flowers too great for coherency.
Thus what weight thy words may sustain is lost in your rethoric's perfumed haze.

Yes! That's a much better way of putting it. I salute thee, Cyracuz. Mathos, bow your head in shame!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
Hurumph. I thought we were going to talk about Bob. If this thread is going to remain lodged in who is who and online personalities, why should I bother?

Quote:

I'm not about to argue,
I'm not about to move to no other place.
Now, each of us has his own special gift
And you know this was meant to be true,
And if you don't underestimate me,
I won't underestimate you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:23 am
Piffka:-

Well mate,I made a start.It was "good ball" surely?
You can catch and run can't you.Then do so.Let's get going on Dylan's philosophy.I would be interested in what anybody serious has to say about that.

Regards.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:31 am
Laughing Well, Piffka, we could turn it all around and talk about Dylan Thomas. I do believe that Jimmy Carter fought to have him buried in Westminster Abbey.

Spendius, as for Don McLean, his American Pie was a simple history of rock and roll, and his metaphors may or may not be an allusion to the people that we discuss here. Any insight that we can glean from looking at music is always fascinating to me whether it be classical or whatever. As a matter of record, the movie, Whose Afraid of Virginia Wolf was only a curiosity about the academia of another world.
0 Replies