Robert Allen Zimmerman aka BOB DYLAN

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:24 pm
It's been one of those irresistible impulse days, spendius. Barbara Allen always makes me think of THE SCARLET LETTER.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:15 pm
It rings a vague bell but I don't know it.Is that about recalcitrant females as well?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:22 pm
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:53 am
Can we post lyrics here? One of my all-time favorite love songs by one of my all-time favorite songwriters:

If you see her say hello (Bob Dylan)

If you see her, say hello
She might be in Tangier
She left here last early spring
is living there I hear.
Say for me, that I'm alright
Though things get kind of slow
She might think that I've forgotten her
Don't tell her it isn't so.

We had a falling out like lovers often will
And to think of how she left that night
It still brings me a chill
And though our separation
It pierced me to the heart
She still lives inside of me
We've never been apart.

If you get close to her
Kiss her once for me
I always have respected her
for doing what she did and getting free
Oh, whatever makes her happy
I won't stand in the way
For the bitter taste still lingers on
From the night I tried to make her stay.

I see a lot of people as I make the rounds
And I hear her name, here and there
As I go from town to town
And I've never gotten used to it
I've just learned to turn it off
Either I'm too sensitive, or else I'm getting soft.

Sundown, yellow moon- I replay the past
I know every scene by heart
They all went by too fast
If she's passing back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:31 am
aidan-

There are other versions of IYSHSH.Some are not so sweet as the original.One bites.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/6752/medal.jpg
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:19 pm
There he is- a real genius. And don't try to ruin it for me. I don't want to know about any versions that bite - I just want to keep the perfect version that's on Blood on the Tracks in my head. He sounds so lost, so vulnerable, so sad. You know he's singing it about the love of his life - his wife - Sara.

Anyway - where's Mathos? I thought this was his thread? He'd know a romantic, love song when he heard one- and wouldn't be bringing up lesser, not as sweet versions that "bite".
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
As far as I'm concerned, Dylan is part of the holy trinity of rock (with the Beatles and Stones). He might also be the most prolific songwriter of the last 1/2 of the 20th century. Beyond all that, he's a Sphinx.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
Yeah - I agree with Dylan and the Stones. I do appreciate the genius of the Beatles - but they just don't do it for me like the other two - although they do have some absolutely just perfect songs - no two ways about it. I'd have to think who I'd pick to add to the other two to make up my trinity.

*Neil Young is way up there on my list - I just saw your signature. I love that song too- Decade is a masterpiece in my opinon.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:59 pm
No.There's nobody to compare with Bob.He isn't an errand boy to satisfy your wandering desires.He's a poet.Poets don't do that.

Putting him in trinities is out of the question.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:01 pm
Is that an absolute edict, Kind Spendius?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
Time to get The Zimmerman stall out again I see,

Zimmerman belly button warmers, only $25
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:37 am
Hi Luscious Lips Letty,

Nice smile that.. xx
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:44 am
You know, Mathos. There would be many out there in PT Barnum's world who would buy Zimmerman belly button warmers, thinking that they were supporting Bush in his choice to fill Sandra Day O'Connor's seat on the Supreme Court, or wear them to save the egress.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:48 am
I think you have a good point there L L Letty, tell me, what do you think of your President.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
I respect the office, but not the man, Mathos.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:39 am
Point taken.. I will not carry this conversation further.

I admire your candour as usual LL Letty. Your a gem.xx
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:53 am
Mathos - I've been wondering. If you like Bob Dylan - do you also like The Band - you know his backing band that went out on their own. They are truly a great American band - I don't know if you'd be into them - they do what's known as Americana music - kind of a mix of a lot of different influences. Anyway - I LOVE them. In fact, one of my favorite Dylan albums is Planet Waves on which THE BAND plays with him. So many good songs - you should check it out. One you might have heard is FOREVER YOUNG. But my favorite is "NEVER SAY GOODBYE':
"Twilight on a frozen lake - a north wind about to break-all the footprints in the snow-silence down below. You're beautiful beyond words- more beautiful to me - you could make me cry - never say goodbye..."and it goes on.
Another good song is "YOU ANGEL YOU" - the whole record is just exceptional. Have you heard it?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:16 pm
Yes, I do believe I have Aidan, and I like 'American Music' I spent some time in your 'mid-west' and really enjoyed the variety of music in the bars and other such places of ill repute. In fact Texas was also good for music and extended variations, country being obviously the most popular. I enjoy country music too, but not the bodies mangled in car crashes, death and destruction. The drunks seem to like those sort of memories.

Words of certain songs as you are obviously aware, can be extremely beautiful, sincere, flattering and humorous.

"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 01:15 am
How could I? Laughing
0 Replies