Doctor Who: The Woman who fell to Earth.

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 03:26 pm
First of all... in my best River Song voice "Spoilers!!!". If you haven't seen the first episode yet and plan to, run away...

The important question has been answered; Jody Whittaker fit right into the role of Doctor. If the first episode is any sign of things to come, she will be great. The story was pretty typical, she falls into an alien invasion. She meets humans. They work together to stop the invasion.

The fact that she was the first female Doctor was addressed in a comically reserved way. Someone called her "Madam". She asked "Why?". They said "Because you are a woman". She said "Oh! Does it suit me?"

I am not sure how I feel about the side couple (Jasmine and Ryan). They killed off the best character (Grace) in the first episode. We will see how they develop. I don't see either Jasmine or Ryan as filling the role of Amy Pond or Jane.

From the first episode, I have no doubts in Whittaker's ability to play the Doctor. The was both confident and vulnerable. She was quirky and competent.

I am looking forward to watching this season with my daughter more than ever.

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
Sturgis

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 03:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Let me hop into my Tardis and go back in time so I know not to read the spoiler.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 11:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am not sure how I feel about the side couple (Jasmine and Ryan). They killed off the best character (Grace) in the first episode. We will see how they develop. I don't see either Jasmine or Ryan as filling the role of Amy Pond or Jane.

Or Jamie, or Sarah Jane Smith, or Jo Grant or Ben and Polly. All the assistants are different, they're not meant to be like each other, just thank **** it's not Bonnie Langford. You also failed to spot character actor and presenter Bradley Walsh who unlike the others is very well known.

Whittaker's Yorkshire accent and the fact it was set in Sheffield is also quite significant.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:21 pm
What really pissed me off was moving it from Saturday to Sunday, no consultation or prior announcement about that.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:29 pm
@izzythepush,
It's worse for us in the States. There is a 24 hour wait... we have to wait until Monday.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 12:33 pm
@maxdancona,
That's only fair, we have to wait 24 hours for GoT and Walking Dead.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 01:18 pm
We're in trouble when Bradley Walsh's the eye candy.
I wonder will he bring in the Chaser, there's a bunch of ready made creatures for you.

Seriously though I thought it was great, a good strart anyway.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 01:59 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I think he's like Bernard Cribbins, a well loved familiar figure, helps with all the changes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 02:37 pm
I saw the commercials for the show but forgot to watch.

Some of the past unhappy endings when a companion leaves the series are real downers. I'd like the show a lot better and watch it more often if it was more upbeat.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2018 06:47 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Some of the past unhappy endings when a companion leaves the series are real downers. I'd like the show a lot better and watch it more often if it was more upbeat.

I understand, but I disagree.

Part of the character of Doctor Who is her attempts to understand her place in the Universe. At this point, she is a demi-god with unique importance in the Universe, yet she still needs to deal with loss and with the consequences of her decisions.

That is an important part of the show for me.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 02:28 am
@maxdancona,
Like most successful shows Dr Who has endured because it's stayed true to its roots and values. It's British, and its core audience will always be British, Americans only started watching it when Tom Baker became the Doctor, if they start dumbing it down and candy coating it there won't be any point watching it. The Doctor has always been anti gun so the producers aren't going to bothered by the opinion of some sad loser who needs a gun to feel important.
Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 02:35 am
Actually, Doctor Who was broadcast in some markets when Pertwee was the Doctor. You can't very well watch what's not being broadcast where you live. Cable television was not available in many markets in the 1970s, and until cable was common, one was not likely to see the program.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 02:53 am
@Setanta,
I stand corrected, but you still missed Troughton who in my opinion will always be the best Doctor.

Btw, Star Trek wouldn't have endured either if they'd been bothered about what the British audience thought.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 02:56 am
Yeah, sure . . .
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 07:27 am
FYI.

Daredevil season 3 released on 19th Oct.

Man in the high castle season 3, out now.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 07:31 am
I think most of us have a special fondness for our first Doctor. That was Tom Baker for me and Matt Smith for my daughter.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 08:31 am
@maxdancona,
My first Doctor was the first Doctor. I don't remember a lot about him, but I do remember him. Where were you when Kennedy was assassinated? A. Sitting down to watch the very first episode of Doctor Who. I don't remember it, I was too young, but apparently I was there. I do remember the 10th Planet and the first transformation.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My first Doctor was the first Doctor. I don't remember a lot about him, but I do remember him.

My first doctor was likely an OBGYN? Barring that? A pediatrician. I also have no recollection on meeting him.

izzythepush wrote:
Where were you when Kennedy was assassinated?

Hadn't been born yet ... or if I was alive... it was in a different body/life.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 09:40 am
@tsarstepan,
I hadn't been around for long, but I had been born.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 03:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I understand, but I disagree.
Part of the character of Doctor Who is her attempts to understand her place in the Universe. At this point, she is a demi-god with unique importance in the Universe, yet she still needs to deal with loss and with the consequences of her decisions.
That is an important part of the show for me.
I view entertainment as something for my pleasure.

When my entertainment leaves me feeling sad and depressed, that just isn't what I'm looking for.

That's not to say I need everything to always be rainbows and unicorns, but there's just too much misery and suffering in that show for me to get into it.
0 Replies