A Tardis Full Of Bras.

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 11:57 am
The BBC has just announced that Jodie Whittaker will play the 13th incarnation of Doctor Who. She will be the first woman to play the role. While this has been broadly welcomed by most people, the usual idiots are more than a little upset. Even before it had been announced the comments section on the Daily Fail's website was full of misogynistic bollocks about a possible woman doctor including one muppet who said that he did not want to see "a tardis full of bras."

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/jodie-whittaker-doctor-who.jpg?w=620

Quote:
Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role.
The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.
The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took over the role in 2013 and leaves in the forthcoming Christmas special.
Whittaker, 35, said it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become the next Doctor.
She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas Day special.

The Huddersfield-born star, who was a late favourite to become the Doctor, will find a familiar face for her on set - Doctor Who's new showrunner is Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall.
Whittaker said: "I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey - with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet.
"It's more than an honour to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can't wait."
The actress also shares another Broadchurch link with Doctor Who - co-star David Tennant was the 10th Doctor.
It was always unlikely that the Doctor would continue to be white and male, especially as the BBC has committed itself to greater diversity on its programmes.
Casting the first female Doctor is something many viewers have been calling for. And strong female-led stories have been successful on the big and small screen in recent years, in films ranging from The Hunger Games and Star Wars to Wonder Woman, and in TV series like Game of Thrones.
The BBC will be hoping today's announcement will not just excite viewers, but will also demonstrate that the time travel show has firmly moved into the 21st century.
Whittaker said it felt "incredible" to take on the role, saying: "It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be."
And she told fans not to be "scared" by her gender.
"Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change," she said, adding: "The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."
Whittaker said she had used the codename "Clooney" when discussing the part with her husband and agent - as actor George is "an iconic guy".
Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.
He said: "I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.
"Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."
Chibnall is taking over from Steven Moffat, who leaves the series at the same time as Capaldi.
Capaldi, who had said he wanted to see a woman replace him, said: "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm.
"She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor."
Former companions Billie Piper and Karen Gillan had called for a female Time Lord, while Doctor Who and Sherlock writer Mark Gatiss said it was the perfect time for a woman to take the lead role.
After the announcement, Piper tweeted the word: "YES" with a red rose emoji, while fellow former companion Freema Agyeman tweeted: "Change isn't a dirty word!!!!"
Dedicated Whovians were quick to react to the news of Jodie Whittaker taking over the Tardis.
On social media, some said it would encourage them to watch the show for the first time - but others said the casting meant they would be switching off, and that the Doctor should be played by a man.
Doctor Who writer Jenny Colgan, who has written for the series' books and audio dramas, said: "I am of course incredibly excited the new Doctor is a woman; Steven Moffat has been paving the way for this for ages and it is absolutely about time.
"I can't imagine what it's like for Jodie: she must be so scared and excited all at once, but I couldn't be happier, and 100% can't wait to write for her."
Will Howells, who writes for the Doctor Who magazine and has been a fan for 25 years, said: "In 2017, there shouldn't be anything major about a TV series changing from a male lead to a female one. We'll also maybe see a solo male companion as a regular feature for the first time.
"I don't think it's a risky choice at all - but if a show that can go anywhere and do anything can't take risks, what can?"
And science fiction and fantasy author Paul Cornell said: "It's always been time for a woman Doctor and it's great we got there.
"Well done to Steven Moffat for laying the groundwork. She's going to be amazing. And that first episode of hers is going to get a lot of new people watching."
Whittaker starred as Beth Latimer in the three series of the ITV crime drama Broadchurch, as the mother of a murdered boy.
As well as TV work, Whittaker has appeared on the big screen, in One Day, Attack the Block and St Trinian's. She made her film debut in 2006's Venus, opposite Peter O'Toole.
Traditionally, each Doctor has their own distinctive look, raising questions about the cloak Whittaker wears in the trailer. However, she has said it is not part of her official Doctor Who outfit, and that she does not yet know what she will wear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,216 • Replies: 17
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:01 pm
I worked with a full-on Whovian. He was a bit strange. A bit "special".
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh, I should talk to my cousin Leon about this. He has a Who podcast out of (of all places) Stockholm.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:35 pm
I have been a Whovian since Tom Baker, and my daughter has been a Whovian since Matt Smith. It is fun to share a fandom with my offspring.

We are both pretty happy with this choice. Everyone saw this coming. In the finale the current Doctor has a great line, clearly aimed at traditional fans, about stubbornly hating change.

I am looking forward to the next season... And I am hoping they bring Bill back.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:41 pm
My wife pointed out she is the same very annoying actress that we both hate who was in Broadchurch. Bring back Tom Baker.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:48 pm
@centrox,
I don't know her, I never saw Broadchurch. Then again I didn't know most of her predecessors before they took on the role. I'm happy enough to give her a chance.

vonny

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I enjoyed her performance in Broadchurch - she ought to be more than adequate as the new Dr Who.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:08 pm
@vonny,
I'm completely open minded about the whole thing. She needs a fair crack of the whip, at least a full season. The first few episodes with a new doctor are notoriously tricky, they all need time to bed in.

All except Patrick Troughton of course who was brilliant from the off.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 01:19 pm
@centrox,
Except for that stupid hat, I say "Amen!"
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I never saw Broadchurch.
We watched every episode. The first series was good, then it sort of went downhill. We said it was crap but still continued to watch it, the excuse being "we just want to see who did it", so maybe it wasn't that bad. One thing we found very distracting (we live in the west of England) was the amazingly fake accents of some of the actors. Olivia Colman said “We had an hour with a voice coach, but I’m pretty sure my accent is more Bristol than Dorset. Just have to hope people will be forgiving". An hour! I don't normally link to the Daily Express, but...
Quote:
Broadchurch viewers distracted by 'HORRENDOUS' West Country accents

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/772903/Broadchurch-season-3-west-country-accents-Julie-Hesmondhalgh

Jodie Whittaker on Broadchurch accents:

Quora:
Quote:
Why do many of the characters in Broadchurch have Bristol accents even though the show is set in Dorset?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-of-the-characters-in-Broadchurch-have-Bristol-accents-even-though-the-show-is-set-in-Dorset

My feeling was that they sounded like metropolitan BBC luvvies trying (badly) to do a Bristol or "Mummerset" accent.

As for Doctor Who, I never followed it into the modern CGI age. My favourite era is when they had shaky sets and you could escape from Daleks by going up or down some stairs.

Speaking of "bras in the Tardis", I watched it assiduously when he had an American girl companion, Peri Brown. She was so good you can see her acting ability even in photos:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Peri_Brown.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/44/3f/be/443fbed1c470dff2a5ea6ab0e56c12fa--peri-brown.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e5j94Ad8rm8/V0tHyMQAabI/AAAAAAAADLs/Q6tgYljRGUEWpJZqSMdiXaKXk2aVc1_ZgCLcB/s1600/perri-01.jpg

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 02:20 pm
This is #7 in a website's "10 Incredibly Uncomfortable Moments From Doctor Who". I say the director knew what he was doing. The show got very camp in the 1980s.

(All the dads) Doctor? What Doctor?

https://i.imgbox.com/eU3Teaz6.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 09:10 pm

So long as they do a good job of making the female incarnation compatible with The Doctor's overall character, I am for it.

If they don't make it seem plausible then I will not like it.

So in short, I'm fine with the idea, but I want some good writing and acting to go along with it.

My main complaint with the TV show is the unhappy endings that they sometimes write when a companion leaves the series. I realize that unhappy endings happen in real life, but it isn't what I want from a TV show. I want my entertainment to make me feel happy, not sad.

So far I've tended to not watch an entire subsequent season whenever they've had one of those unhappy separations, simply because I've been put off watching the show for awhile.

How about some separations where the former companion just settles down to a happy life and the Doctor still drops in for a visit now and then to say hi to his old friend (even when he has a new face)?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 09:15 pm
@oralloy,
SPOILERS! (If you haven't seen the finale of the season that just ended).

I think the new doctor could be very interesting, there is a lot of interesting ground to explore on gender stereotypes.

I suspect that Bill (the companion from last season) will be coming back. She is currently zipping around the Universe with her celestial girlfriend... but they left a very clear way for her to come back. My prediction is that Bill is given the decision to stay with her lover as a celestial being, or to return to the Doctor as a human. I think that she chooses the Doctor.

Bill is my third favorite companion after Amy Pond, and Sarah Jane. Of course they will eventually have to decide whether to give the Jodie Whittaker Doctor a male companion.

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2017 10:07 pm
@maxdancona,
I like spoilers. I enjoy the story better if I already know what is going to happen. I absolutely hate being in suspense.

As it happens, I have not watched this entire season. As I said, if a separation from a companion is less than a happy ending, it puts me off the show for awhile.

I may or may not watch the reruns from this season. Haven't decided yet. Generally though when I miss a season like this, I do eventually catch at least a few of the episodes in reruns.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 03:05 pm
Peri was a wonderful example of an English actor whom others over there think sounds just like an American, and who actually doesn't even come close.
centrox

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 03:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Peri was a wonderful example of an English actor whom others over there think sounds just like an American, and who actually doesn't even come close.

I thought she was meant to be Canadian at first. It was too full-on all the time. However I found it easy to forgive. There are always going to be actors from one side of the pond trying to do an accent from the other side, often hilariously badly (Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, Angelina Jolie in Alexander, Madonna in her everyday speech). I have read that Hugh Laurie in House, Damian Lewis in Homeland, and Andrew Lincoln in The Walking Dead aren't too bad - what do you think?

I thought that Martin Freeman's Minnesota accent in the first season of Fargo sounded a bit shaky, to say the least, and to a British ear the accent of David Thewlis in the latest series of that show is very weird indeed, like a British actor (which he is) doing an imitation of what Americans think a British accent sounds like.

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 06:57 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
. . . like a British actor (which he is) doing an imitation of what Americans think a British accent sounds like.

This is it in a nutshell . . . what you get on either side of the pond is people who are reproducing the stereotype of an accent. There just isn't one accent, in either country. People from Hexam do not sound like people from Exeter, and people from Savannah do not sound like people from Minneapolis. There are such a wide variety of accents in both countries (in all countries), that unless you can absolutely nail a regional accent, people from the country whose alleged accent you're attempting are going to spot you right away.

There was some television production of a Dick Francis novel and the presenter was just gushing over a young English actor who was playing an American. Sorry, he was totally unconvincing, and he lacked a regional accent, which of course, all Americans have. I knew a young woman in a university drama program who was to play an Englishwoman in an upcoming production and who therefore went around "doing" the accent day and night. She was awful, and in large measure because she didn't sound like she was from any particular region.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2017 05:45 am
Quote:
Two ex-Time Lords have had a war of words over Jodie Whittaker being cast as TV's first female Doctor.
Peter Davison, who played the Doctor from 1981 to 1984, said he "liked the idea" of a male Doctor and that he felt "a bit sad" the character might no longer be "a role model for boys".
His comments were promptly dubbed "rubbish" by his successor Colin Baker.
"You don't have to be of a gender to be a role model," said the actor, who portrayed the Doctor from 1984 to 1986.
"Can't you be a role model as people?"
The actors were speaking on Thursday at Comic-Con, the world's largest celebration of film, TV and pop culture.
Baker, the father of four daughters, said the BBC show's 54-year history had given young male viewers plenty of figures to emulate.
"They've had 50 years of having a role model," said the 74-year-old. "So sorry Peter, you're talking rubbish there - absolute rubbish."
Davison - whose own daughter Georgina is married to David Tennant, another ex-Doctor - accepted "you need to open it up" and that he was "maybe an old-fashioned dinosaur".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40679134
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Tardis Full Of Bras.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:55:34