Doctor Who: The Woman who fell to Earth.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I had a bit of a tea in my eye at the end.

That was a typo, I meant tear. I may be English but I don't weep tea, (just yet.)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 07:27 pm
(I am going to piss off Izzy, but that isn't my intent... just a side benefit).

The Rosa Parks episode had several problems....

1. The antagonist was a two dimensional plot device. Really, there is a White Supremacist alien? What the heck... I don't think Doctor Who has ever done, put a stereotypical alien who had no purpose but to make a sermon. They don't even tell us what species he is... he just there to fill a whole in the plot.

2. The plot was very un-creative and the story was poorly written. White Supremacist alien tries to stop Rosa Parks to promote galactic racism. They could really do better.

3. The main purpose of the episode seem to be a platform for rather superficial sermons.

4. The episode was historically incorrect. This would be forgivable if the story were better.

There were some good things...

1. Ryan's reaction to meeting Dr. King and Rosa Parks... and the moment he realized where he was was pretty funny.

2. The pranking of the bus driver while fishing was funny and well done.

3. Listening to British actors mangling American accents was amusing... I am sure it works the other way around.

4. Jasmine was brilliant in this episode, from her sense of wonder, to her reaction to being seen as "Mexican". I love that actress.

5. The Doctor realizing the plan... that the villain only had to make minor changes was a scene.

This episode tried too hard... it sacrificed story for a sermon. It ended up feeling like a Hallmark card. I give it a solid C. Doctor Who, at its best, thrives on great stories. Chibnall needs to realize this.

(... and now I will duck behind my screen to see Izzy's head explode).
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 07:54 pm
@maxdancona,
The most powerful scene was Graham being forced to be the White man to whom Rosa refused to give her seat. He realized what he was doing, and he realized that history required him to play that role and do nothing about it.

That was a great scene, I was just talking about it with my daughter... I am curious if they are going to continue with that theme.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 02:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

(Really, there is a White Supremacist alien?

Really? What made you think he was an alien? He was from the future, the far future where in the DW universe humans are in space. He looked pretty human to me, and I'm not so naïve that I think racism will disappear in the future.

There's always something that shoots over your head. Next time why not get your daughter to explain the flaming obvious.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 04:19 am
This isn't the first foray into race and time travel. Channel 4 did that last year.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 01:55 am
Last weeks episode notwithstanding this was the most political episode yet. Nice to see the programme taking a principled stance against contemporary evils. First mention of Trump, a home grown villain in the mould of Trump and another attack on the sort of idiots who need to have guns.

Reminded me of The Green Death, mines illegal dumping and mutated invertebrates.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 06:55 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know why you can't just enjoy the show Izzy.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 07:12 pm
Arachnids in the UK was a good episode. This worked as a creepy episode, the spiders had me on the edge of my seat. The Doctor is also coming into her own. The story this week was well written (although with a few plot holes).

I hope that Americans aren't the villains every week. This villain, as an American businessman turned presidential hopeful, worked pretty well. He reminded me more of Mitt Romney then Donald Trump. It is a little bit cowardly for a British show to use an American stereotype of a sleazy politician rather than a British one (it isn't like the US has a monopoly on sleazy politicians). I understand why they used Rosa Parks... seeing as there are no British civil rights figures, but come on. I am pretty sure a British audience is mature enough to tackle British issues.

The real point of this episode is the way team Tardis is coming together. I like the theme that the Doctor needs friends... the final scene where she gives the disclaimer was a little cheesy, but it worked overall.

The tone was downright creepy. The scene where the bodyguard/cocoon was dragged through the hold in the tub was amazingly scary. The Doctor is coming into her own and the team has gelled.

I am wondering about continuity. The Doctor says she has "been a sister". I did a quick google search and couldn't find any reference, hopefully Chibnal will respect the canon. Will he advance the origin story?

I give this episode a B.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 07:45 pm
@maxdancona,
There was another continuity problem in this episode... when the Doctor said she never had a flat. She has in fact had a flat in The Lodger from season five. I hope that Chibnall can be more faithful to the history of the series.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 01:43 am
@maxdancona,
I do. And I understand it. You don't which is why your ignorant ill informed opinions are so grating. Imagine if you had something you really loved and the village idiot vomited all over it.

That's what your posts are.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 01:45 am
@maxdancona,
That wasn't a flat, it was a room. He lodged, it's not the same thing at all. And season 5 would have been half way through Troughton's tenure. Like I said ignorant.

I give your comments a Z.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 03:30 am
Another link to The Green Death are the spiders. In the Green Death the Doctor travels to Metebelis 3 and comes back with a blue crystal. The same blue crystal is then searched for by a load of super intelligent spiders in The Planet of the Spiders.

If you only became aware of Doctor Who mid Tom Baker you wouldn't know any of this.
0 Replies